SOUTH AFRICA: KMG Safaris Rocks!

The 2nd bushbuck was a beauty but I had one in the truck and we were focused on Kudu at this point. I saw more on the trip, standby!

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice ram sir! On my hit list big time.

I just might have added a new animal to my list for my hunt with Maruis in 2018.

When will you be there? Bushbuck and Waterbuck are both on my list for the last week of July next year.

Great looking waterbuck and bushbuck. Spent ten days with the KMG last year and took a fantastic waterbuck as well but had hard luck on the bushbuck, saw some good ones and one absolute monster at 300 meters but couldn't get a shot. Looking forward to the rest of the report.

Fantastic stuff Edge. Congrats to you on a successful first African hunt, and on your new bride too. KMG is on my bucket list as well. Love your story and pics.

Appreciate all the thanks and for Sonja to help clean up the mess of pictures I initially loaded. I'm working on the afternoon hunt and should have it posted up later this evening. This is one of my favorites of the bushbuck.
01b3ea087019196ebd3dd598d961320ed3cc292943_00001.jpg

Gorgeous ram!

Nice hunt, report and photos so far. Don't worry about the cell phone pics. We all take and use them because of the convenience. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Day 2: Afternoon of the Tiger and Kudu!

Since we were 30 minutes away from Mpunzi lodge, Louw packed us a lunch. I spent a good bit of time in the skinning shed watching the masters at work, caping out the bushbuck ram for a shoulder mount. After washing down the sandwiches with a Castle and loading everyone in the bakkie we were off once again, this time we were going to hunt the opposite end of the property. We weren’t five minutes away from the house and spotted a beautiful Nyala bull sunning himself as the clouds had dissipated and the sun was shining, warming up the afternoon and seemingly bringing out the wildlife. We drove up out of the valley to gain altitude on the ridge tops and the animals seemed to be out catching some of the warm sunshine.

We came upon this beautiful tortoise and I pulled him out of the bush to snag a photo, but he was a bit shy!

Tortiose.jpg

We continued on the hunt parking the bakkie, walking to vantage points and glassing. Beautiful country and we were seeing more Kudu as the afternoon went on. We came to a deep bottom where three ravines come together and see my first decent Kudu bull moving through the bottom and then climbs the opposite side. I glass him with my Zeiss HT 8x42s and he looks great to me in the early afternoon sun! Louw then explains to me, yes, he is mature but his curl is too tight. I study the bull some more and I can then understand what he is talking about. We see another Kudu, a smaller bull and Louw explains how the tips point back, not old enough but the young bull will be a good one in another year or two, what a great teacher.

The Tiger

We head back to the bakkie and continue on our drive for another 15 minutes and come to a stop, we are out again and walking another ridgeline and come to a great open valley. We stop and begin to glass and start spotting game. I can see female waterbuck on the closest ridge across the dry creek bed but the PH and trackers have already seen them and continued the search. The sun feels good and we are just enjoying the afternoon as we glass. We are in AFRICA, and I smile!

Kudu Overlook - Copy.jpg

The local tracker speaks to Louw in the local dialect and they start discussing some Kudu bulls, easily 1700 yards across the valley. The tracker thinks there is a good one from what I can tell and they discuss back and forth, Louw believes they are not good enough. We decide to walk on down the rough road another few hundred yards and begin to scan a drainage that dumps into the vast open area we just glassed.

The drainage is alive with life! A younger waterbuck bull about 100 yards across the ravine is staring at us, some Kudu move out of the top of drainage. I spot a small reddish colored spot and point it out to Louw and he says it’s a duiker. Michelle is standing a few yards away taking all this in, without her telephoto lens on her camera she is at a bit of a disadvantage (remember she has no camera). I hand her my HTs and she begins to glass in earnest at the spot we were looking at the duiker. With Louw’s accent, she thought we had spotted a Tiger, she didn’t say anything but she was earnestly glassing for a tiger!

We head back a couple hundred yards to the initial glassing spot over the vast bottomland where we had spotted some game 20 minutes ago. Louw says he will go and get the bakkie which is probably 400 yards on down the road. The local tacker and I begin to glass the area again and he points out some Kudu females working their way down the side of the opposite ravine and then he gets excited and translates to me he believes there is a big bull across the valley. I see one smaller bull in the sun but can’t locate the big bull. He tries his best to guide my eyes to him but I can’t find him. A few minutes pass and Louw arrives with the bakkie, I say to him the tracker thinks there is a good bull there but I can’t see him. Louw talks to the tracker and begins to glass and I can see his attention perk up, yes there is a good bull! Louw and the tracker talk back and forth and come up with a plan on how to approach the bull. It’s not going to be easy and there is no way for certain he will be there by the time we can get close to him. He is somewhere in this photo but I have NO CLUE!

Zoomed.jpg

The plan is to follow the track around the corner, up the drainage we just glassed, across a flat and down into the valley floor. Time hack, its already 3:30 in the afternoon. Being in Africa, its winter and the shortest day of the year is tomorrow, sunset is 5:20, and in these hills, it will be dark in places much sooner. Louw is hard on the pedal as we execute the first part of the plan, get around the drainage we just glassed. As we crest over the top we begin the steep descent, Kudu are moving to our left and we stop and watch them go up another small ravine and out of sight. We didn’t need them running down the hill and across the valley. Louw has the Toyota diesel off and is manhandling the bakkie down the steep and rocky road and we pick up speed and roll out as far as we can on momentum as the ground flattens out in the bottom. We get out quietly, I chamber a 180 gr pointed soft point. Louw and the local tracker whisper back and forth and take off at a quick clip down the dirt track. Michelle and I follow for a couple hundred yards and we cut off the road to our left and across a small flat following the PH.

The adrenalin and excitement, as well as the exertion have me sweating. Time is running out as the sun is on its never-ending journey to the horizon. We head up a dry drainage, cross a flat and then begin to climb a steep small hill. Louw and the tracker are now in silent stalk mode, Michelle and I try to stay with them but start falling behind. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. We begin side hilling around the thickly shrouded mount and then I can feel the wind change and hit me in the side of the face. Oh S6it! We hear hooves clattering over the rocky ground, branches being broken. Louw launches straight up the hill and over the top to the backside of the mount and sets the sticks as he begins glassing. It is very steep with loose rocky soil underneath, almost hard to stand. We can hear an animal making his way quickly up the opposite hillside, not being stealthy but on a path to get through the thick bush and over the top of the hill as quickly as it can. Is it the big bull? We haven’t seen him since we were at the top of the hill before deciding on a plan, probably 30-40 minutes ago.

Louw and tracker are zoned in and believe it’s him, he steps into an opening quartering up the hill from right to left. I’m given the clearance to fire if he’s clear but he’s moving at probably 225 yards away. The bull hesitates and I make the decision and squeeze the trigger.

Last edited:
You big tease

The Kudu Bull

It’s hard to stand and the sticks aren’t stable but I feel confident enough to take the shot, the crosshairs end up above the Kudu’s shoulder and I say out loud I’ve missed. I quickly cycle the bolt and chamber another round. Louw and the tracker say it’s a hit and shoot again when I can as the bull is moving across the hillside through the thick bush. I get a glimpse here and there and Louw helps me locate him, he’s by the big tree! I look and there are 20 big trees! Its very thick and the sun is settting over the hill making viewing difficult. Louw points the rifle and says he’s walking uphill, I finally see him! I squeeze the trigger hard and it finally releases with a loud CLICK. WTF I utter, Louw reaches over and cycles the bolt quickly and I try to find the bull again through the scope.

Where did he go? Louw is trying to tell me where the bull is now but it’s a big area. Louw helps again by pointing the rifle in the general direction and I see the bull for a moment and send another 180 gr bullet across the valley. The tracker says it’s a hit. I reload again and look for another opportunity but they say he has slipped over the top of the hill. I’m upset with myself. How did I even hit the bull on the first shot, the crosshairs jumped over his shoulder?

Here’s an overview of where the bull was sighted, in red, where I took the shot in the red circle and the general path he took over the top. Our stalk entered the picture on the orange line on the bottom of the screen with our shooting position at the end. Michelle recorded much of the shooting event and it was approximately 6 minutes from the initial set-up and shot to the bull going over the ridge. My lower back was in spasms from trying to crouch low enough to get the proper sight angle to the steep slope on the opposite side.

Zoomed_LI.jpg

Louw picks up the loaded round from the ground and there is no primer indent. During the cycling of the bolt on the Browning A-bolt, I somehow pushed the safety into the half-cock position. The trigger will cycle but the firing pin will not go forward.

Louw calls Lindile and tells him to bring the dogs as I stretch my back and we give the Kudu time to lay down. Lindile shows up with Zeiss, Tasco and Stormer after 10-15 minutes and we clamber down the steep slope, across the dry bottom and begin to climb up the steep opposite hillside. I’m huffing and puffing as we climb, sick to my stomach that I made a bad shot. Michelle pulls a cactus needle out of young Stormer as he had fallen back. We press on and they have found the initial hit, too far back. Louw tells me, you believe me now? I did, and from the looks of the sign, I was sick. Louw tells me the bull started forward again as I shot, it didn't make me feel much better.

The dogs and trackers did a great job and the sign became more prevalent and was easy to follow. We crested the top of the hill and came to another track and we hesitated as the dogs sorted out the track. I look up and Kudu were crossing the road about 75 yards from our right to left. I throw the gun up but Louw says that’s not our Kudu, but the dogs see them and take off in hurry and follow them down over the hill. Lindile goes after the dogs as the local tracker, Louw and I sort out the track. It’s not very difficult as the sign is strong but this is a big animal. We plunge down over the opposite hillside, steeper than the one we came up. Louw sends the tracker down about 100 yards to the bottom of the hill as we parallel the side. The bull gets pushed out and Louw says to shoot him, all I can see are the magnificent spiral horns just above the thick bush. I see his big hump above the bush line and take a shot, at this point I want to just put another shot into him to end this as quickly as possible. You can hear the solid hit but I know there aren’t vitals up that high on these African animals.

Lindile finally arrives with the dogs and sets them loose, Louw turns to me and says they will bay him about…and before he can say now, the dogs begin barking in chorus. We rush down the steep hillside to the dry creek bottom, I remember looking back at Michelle and telling her to take her time coming down the hill before I sprint off and take the lead. The tracker is kneeling down in the creek bottom, it was like running down a tunnel with the bush forming the ceiling overhead, knocking my hat off as the tracker points ahead and I see the dogs have the bull cornered where the creek runs into a vertical cliff face. I can barely see the Kudu’s face and the dogs holding him still, as I approach a few steps the bull turns and dashes down the creek bed. Louw tells me to cut to my left over the bank to intercept the bull as the creek bed swings back around, I was effectively cutting the corner. I run up the bank and across the small flat and see the Kudu cut up a steep spine of ridge across from me, I get him in the scope and put another shot into him as he is quartering away mindful of the three dogs nipping at him.

I close the distance in a sprint, cross the creek bed and start up the sharp spine finding blood where I hit the bull. The next thing I hear is the breaking of tree branches and then the solid thud of a body hitting rock, loose rocks skittering and another hard thump. OMG, he has jumped off the cliff to my left. The dogs are now silent as I race back down the hill running into Louw and Michelle telling them he has jumped off the cliff and is in the creek bottom. I race down the creek bed and come to this.

Oh shit.jpg

The kudu has leapt off the cliff and landed on the bedrock where my feet are, rolled over the 7 foot drop into the bottom. There is hair and blood smeared on the sharp rocks and at the bottom. I sigh as I know that he is at least down. I am still upset with the bad shot but its offset by the knowledge the chase has ended.

Louw and I look at each other and he grabs his cell to try and reach Nicole at the lodge, its going to be a long night and we may be late for dinner. There are no roads nearby, we are in no-mans land. My buddies John, Lynn, Mark and my brother Jeff will understand as I usually shoot something in the steepest, darkest most distant area from the road that I can!

we are going to be late for dinner.jpg

We grab a few photos before Louw and the local tracker head off down the steep creek bed to find the bakkie, the sun has set and the light in the narrow valley is growing dark by the second.

Kudu at bottom.jpg
Adjusted photo shoot.jpg

After talking it over with Louw, the only way out is going to be the hard way. We field dress, then cut the magnificent bull in half, and plan to carry him out on stout poles. Easier said than done!

I help Lindile with the dirty work and we wait for Louw and tracker to find the shortest distance to a road. A picture looking back up the creek where the bull initially landed on the creek bed before falling over the 7 foot drop. You can see broken branches on the left where the bull had crashed down over the hillside.

looking up stream.jpg

The carry out was a ton of fun! Louw and I slid a pole through the anus of the hindquarters while Lindile and the local tracker hauled out the front half. It was a bit of a chore to get the halves over the first cliff as you can see above. Once we were able to get out the halves over the edge, we shouldered the poles and moved forward. Louw takes a step up the bank and the Kudu half slides back the pole and I get a face full of Kudu ass! I step up as Louw step down and he gets hit in the back of the head by the front of the back half. Enough of this, we get the back half centered and I hold onto the tail. We climb out of the creek bed and up the thick brushy hill in darkness. Michelle carried the rifle and binoculars up behind us, they were able to get the bakkie within 150 yards of the bottom, up the hill of course!

We load up the Kudu halves, I go for the cooler and a cold Castle! We arrive in time for a late dinner:

P6201406.JPG

On the way home Michelle asks about the Tiger we had spotted. Will explain more in another post!

Edge

Last edited:
I am really liking this story

Last edited:
It's not the jump that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

I'm having flashbacks to hunts with my brother. Hauling something out of some inhospitable spot where no one with any sense would be hunting.

Well told. Congrats on a nice trophy.

@BRICKBURN

Appreciate the kind words, I didn't realize how time and cocktail consuming it is to get all the details down in a story that makes any sense!

I'm just picking myself up off the floor from seeing my dip & pack costs from Hunters & Collectors, ouch.

Hopefully Dennis @The Artistry of Wildlife will be able to fix any issues on the Kudu. The hide appeared to come through relatively unscathed except for the mane along the spine which will be tough to see once he's on the wall.

Working on Day 3 now!

Edge

Good tales take time and effort.

Taxidermy and shipping will always :E Crazy Eyes:

Nice kudu and bushbuck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!