SOUTH AFRICA: KMG Hunting Safaris - Mark's Story

So here it was, finally the hippo had been taken. This moment struck quite a strange feeling in all of our hunting group as we witnessed how much this meant to the local community. We watched as they came to help retrieve the hippo, then they wanted photo's with it and then they started the butchering..... The chief was there from the start and when the hippo was dragged from the water, he was their tugging on the rope. He also sat a small portion aside while he watched the remainder get in for their chop. To see the jubilation from the people and to watch them walk km's from town to get their share was most comforting, when you take such an animal I wish some of the noisy cynics were there to witness. This animal had more effect on us than we imagined before the hunt........ And it meant springbok shooters that night around the bar :)

Tim now asked Marius if he was going to start marketing a 3 day package for nyala, bushbuck and hippo. It had been a massive 3 days.......

BBNF1132.JPG

The shot couldn't have been more perfect and the bullet performance was exceptional. Later inspection of the skull showed severe damage to the rear top part of the skull from the impact which caused such sudden and massive trauma. Not splinted and shattered from and expanding bullet, just massive fracturing of the skull.

IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG

Awesome! Feeding folks by being a participant in sustainable conservation hunting is so rewarding. Great Hydro performance as always! Skull mount? Shoulder mount? Full body mount?

Awesome! Feeding folks by being a participant in sustainable conservation hunting is so rewarding. Great Hydro performance as always! Skull mount? Shoulder mount? Full body mount?

Tracker/skinner nearly feinted when the ph mentioned full body mount after skinning both nyala and bushbuck for full body mounts ....... Just a skull mount Benny.

Congratulations well done.

Nice hippo!

Congrats for a great hunt.

Whenever I take my hippo, I will make a wall plaque with the tusks, and a coffee table with the skull.

Excellent hunt!

So the 4th day it was decided Martin (PH) and I would have a day off hunting for me as I had just taken my 3 main animals in 3 days. We headed off with blacks and Marius to hopefully get blacks an eland and maybe, just maybe, a zebra.
So as in blacks report he had a very successful day taking both of his animals and we enjoyed the day out together.

Next day I had decided to take a blesbok antelope as my next species to hunt. We found some early in the day and they were quite jumpy but after several attempts I made a good shot at around 90-100m.
BVIG0965.JPG

I had in the back of my mind that a nice Eastern Cape kudu should be on my list but I decided not to have too many hopes as I wanted to make sure I gave nyala, bushbuck and hippo the best chance I could. So with everything going to plan I decided to have a go at a kudu. We hunted hard the next 2 days with plenty of kudu spotted but not the animal I was hoping to take. The next day we had arranged a fishing charter as both my wife (Lauren) and I are keen on fishing at home. This was a busy day and very successful with plenty of fish taken. We fished for Cob mainly which is the same fish we have in our saltwater in South Australia and grow to 1.5m. We got onto plenty of school size fish but not the biggun's we were hoping for. A few other species were taken and the lodge was pretty happy when we arrived home with the fillets.....

IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG

Any pictures of your fish dinner? Never had a cob. Are they good?

Sorry Ridgewalker, no fish dinner pics but I find eating cob quite delicious.

A day of fishing is such a good add on.

Tracker/skinner nearly feinted when the ph mentioned full body mount after skinning both nyala and bushbuck for full body mounts ....... Just a skull mount Benny.
Hippo skulls are very interesting, did you eat any of it? I heard it's not bad

Great report, we met Martin while hunting with Marius in 2016 and look forward to having him as our PH next year in July.

Hippo skulls are very interesting, did you eat any of it? I heard it's not bad

We did take some to try, the taste was beef like I reckon but it was quite tough as we didn’t hang it to set.

The best part of my first hunt in South Africa, was knowing that every piece of every animal was used. I was very pleased to know that so many people would be fed by my addiction. I really can't describe it, but I guess you can't either. Incredible hunt, awesome animals, and even better memories!!!

So the next day after the fishing charter we were back onto kudu at another property and this was the fantastic result..... Taken at 202m with the first shot broadside and then the bull moved off as if un-hit before standing face on with another round straight through the chest to put him down for good.
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg