SOUTH AFRICA: KMG Hunting Safaris & A Month In Africa!

Fantastic. I'd love to watch the locals processing a large animal like hippo or elephant. An experience you can get no where else!

As I learnt that night, when something like a hippo goes down, the whole camp really comes alive. We had hunters from Denmark and their respective PH's all in camp, and that night it was 'full noise' at the Mpunzi Bar. A little blend of cultures in the form of Springbok Shooters, followed by Australia's own Bundaberg Rum & the infamous 'Tim-Tam Slam' ;) ;)

TBC...
DSCN1498.JPG
DSCN1504.JPG

The hippo hunt was one of my highlights Tim. As you say it was a complete eye opener..... And a great hunt.

Congrats on the hippo!!!!

Looking at the picture of everyone at the bar really makes me miss hunting there.

Morning one: We arrive at Martin's place just on first light. It's a horrible windy day, blowing a gale and it's rained on and off for most of the drive, although happily most seems to have cleared. We drop some gear off for our overnight stay and split our hunting gear and crew between the two Landcruisers. Then we head out to the property not far away. It's a huge place, with no shortage of steep hills, some huge bluffs and river valleys, and thick bush covering the majority of it! Nothing at all like I'd experienced in Africa before and I could tell it was going to be challenging.

With local manager Mike on board as well, we start driving a few ridgelines and putting the binos to good use. That is, if you can hold them still long enough! We drive a few miles and glass a lot before the first Nyala are spotted. The sun has now broken though so the PH's knew we would find them sunning themselves in sheltered gullies out of the horrific wind.

Finally, in some typically very steep and thick country. My eagle-eyed PH spotted an old Nyala bull sunning himself, three-quarters of the way up the hill, in a tiny clearing 2km away. Out with the spotting scope, and a closer look revealed a mature bull that was certainly worth of further effort. Mark generously said that I could have the first crack - well, I pretty much pushed him aside as I can run a little bit faster than him ;)

Moving the cruiser around the top of the mountain to circle around the bull, we closed in on foot to an area we hoped to get a look within range and downwind. After wearing a little boot leather and bashing downhill through some thorns, we managed to get down on the opposite face level with him, on a small shelf just like his, where we could set up the sticks. Marius ranged him at 260 yards, not really what I wanted first morning with a borrowed rifle, but I took a look through the scope on Marius' Ruger. I would the Leupold up to 10x, Martin gave me a shoulder to support the rear of the rifle, and I felt good, as I did on the range the night prior. Talking it through with both PH's, we agreed on allowing for a couple of inches of drop and the same in wind drift. I held on the spot and squeezed the trigger, and the bull jumped with a good hit, quickly disappearing into the thick stuff. We stayed put to mark the spot, and Marius called in the trackers with the dogs to find him. It didn't take long for Lloyd, along with JRT's Flex and Rigby, to find him stone dead; and we made our way around the gully head. I had nailed him right through the heart with a 260 yard cross gully shot. A beautiful wide old trophy, with broomed-off horns and teeth worn right down to the gums, just what I like! What a way to start!

It was a difficult recovery to lift him out whole on a tarpaulin but we all pitched in and soon had him ready for photos then butchering. An amazing start to the hunt and I couldn't be happier with my Nyala!

View attachment 237847

TBC...
Nice shot!

Congrats on the hippo!

Ragman been there twice, always cold beer in cooler, plenty of spirits, and great wine at dinner, oh I forgot to say the hunting is outstanding too.

Day Four, Morning: After a 'dry day' yesterday I was super keen to get out in the field again, and was feeling a little bit of pressure at the half way point of my hunt and with a few animals still to get. Mark on the other hand had bagged Nyala, bushbuck and hippo in three days of hunting. I joked with Marius that he should post this 3-day hunt package on AH......I wonder what the success rate would be? ;) So Mark and his PH Martin generously decided to join Marius and I on today's hunt to lend extra eyes and ears, not to mention top company! Plus it would allow me to carry Mark's beautiful Kimber .300. We headed about 45 minutes down the road to a huge area that held eland. One of these massive antelopes has been on my list since I saw Mark's in Namibia 2016. During the hunt, Marius mentioned that this property held zebra as well....my mind started racing. Along with trackers Lloyd and Tundy, and the local tracker on the property Frindy, we had a full truck. These guys would prove invaluable.

We started by driving ridge lines and glassing from the shady side, it was close to freezing this morning so we knew the animals would favour the sunny faces. We spotted kudu, impala, and eventually a group of five eland that looked to contain a great bull. Leaving the other guys up high, Marius and I tried a long slow stalk down into the basin, getting very close but the swirling thermals beat us and the Eland shuffled off. Every way we tried to approach, the wind seemed to be at our backs. At one stage I was on the sticks and had an eland bull step into my cross-hairs at 80 yards. I had the safety off, but he was not the big guy we were after....a big dewlap and horns but no ruff. We knew this wasn't going to be a walk in the park. We found out later from Martin who had watched our stalk through the spotter from the hill, that the big bull was only ten yards behind the one I had in the scope, safely behind cover and invisible to us.

Long story short, we covered many kilometres after the now-alert mob, up one side of the huge basin we went, only to watch them run the other way. Finally they stopped in a thick scrubby basin, obscured from view, we watched the area for a time and nothing came out, so we hoped they'd stay put. Frindy knew a rocky Ridge that ran above them and the PH'S thought if we could get around them to that spot without spooking them, it just might put us in range.

From our new vantage point, we left the truck behind and stalked our way around the rocky ridge. We couldn't see any animals but the trackers still had not seen them move from the area. Eventually, the mob slowly worked their way across the bushveldt below, from left to right in front of us. First two cows, and then one of the two young bulls. I got ready on the sticks in anticipation and wound the scope up to 12x, taking a good look at the younger bloke for scale. All the while Marius, Martin and I were whispering away, making doubly sure we had the right target. Eventually the big guy stepped out and I flicked the safety off, but it would be a 300 yard shot. Martin let out a whistle to stop the bull and as he turned to look at us I fired, hitting him hard but a bit far forward, missing the nearside shoulder and heart but breaking his offside shoulder. I put two more 180gn Woodleighs into him and he was down but not quite out, so we quickly closed in and used another two shots to put the lights out. Huge animals and incredibly strong!!

He is an amazing Eland bull taken after a great hunt and I feel very fortunate. I certainly could not have done it without the local knowledge of the trackers so credit to them, the photo with the trackers is me with Frindy and Lloyd, both top men.
Big spiral horns curling forward, a big dewlap and ruff on his forehead - everything a big eland should be. I am stoked.

DSCN1511.JPG
DSCN1532.JPG
DSCN1542.JPG

And the best thing, it was only 11.30am.....

TBC

Day four, afternoon: After dropping my Eland at the skinning shed we had some lunch and then left the skinners working on the finer details while we headed to another part of the property to see if we couldn't find some zebra.

Arriving at the head of a large basin, we spread ourselves around the peak of the hill and commenced a long glassing session of the gullies and hills in front of us. After a patient look, the trackers and their excellent eyes found a small mob, in cover at the very top of the opposite range a few kilometres away. Making a plan and taking a few landmarks as references, we took the truck as close downwind as we could and then struck out on foot. As the cover closed in around us, Marius and Frindy suddenly froze in front of us, as an unseen trio of impala stood in the trees up ahead. I was caught with all my weight on one foot. We needed these impala to move, and hopefully not spook the zebra just up the hill from them! Eventually after a couple of minutes it happened, I had to transfer my weight to my right foot, and of course a loud stick cracking was the result. However, it was just enough for the impala to trot away down the hill, but not enough for them to be fully alarmed. You're welcome!

Uphill we continued, the bush was very quiet with almost no breeze. Once we got within 150 metres we could just see the occasional stripes through the bush, but the dry crunchy ground was making stalking difficult. So it was off with our boots to continue working uphill in our socks. Of course two steps in and I felt the piercing pain of a cactus straight into the ball of my foot. I pulled it out and hobbled on. Note to self - watch your footfall! Eventually the zebra fed across in front of us and as they came in and out of cover we got a good look at most of the mob. Marius identified a beautiful animal that met my hopes - and despite me being a little eager to seal the deal, he kept me patient and waited until the right animal stepped out broadside at 100m. I had a reasonable window a couple of feet wide at zebra shoulder height to shoot through. The Kimber barked and I nailed this beautiful zebra straight through the shoulder. He only ran a few yards and collapsed, as the mob ran around in panic, not knowing where the shot had come from. Just what I'd wanted, wide black stripes, a very clean hide with almost no shadow stripes. Such a beautiful animal. Hoodoo busted!

I am one very happy hunter to cap off an amazing double-header day. Still picking cactus spines out of my feet but well worth it!

TBC...

DSCN1568.JPG
DSCN1560.JPG

Day 4 was a heck of a day, congrats!

Congrats, great hunting so far :D Cheers:

Love the bushbuck. Watching the local people smile and butcher a hippo is a life experience that I am glad you and your daughters were able to witness, that is one of the major long term memories I took away from my hippo. Nice report look forward to reading about your family adventure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you