SOUTH AFRICA: KMG Hunting Safaris 4th Trip July 2019 "The Photo Safari"

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Dudders, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    UK, South Africa, Namibia, Sweden
    Background : Way back in the hazy mists of 2017 while organising my previous trip and knowing how busy Marius can get I had the foresight to book ahead for 2019. This trip was to be for me and my son who would now be eighteen part birthday present and partly for me as maybe he may soon be to busy making his own path into the big wide world to have time to go hunting with his dad for some time. This would be my boy's second trip to Mpunzi the first being when he was 14 and since then Marius has suffered four years of abuse from him on the subjects of rugby and the superior ability of landrover .

The list for this trip would be
    me : bushbuck, bushpig, caracal, waterbuck
    the boy: bushbuck, caracal, ostrich, baboon
    the dates were july 8th to july 16th

IMG_20190709_104057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    blacks and AfricaHunting.com like this.

2. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    We departed the uk on the 7th of july apart from a slight delay before departure all was well first time on BA flew premium economy was presently surprised may do so again. Uneventful through joburg to port Elizabeth when we arrive I am amazed how windy it is we go to collect baggage as we wait I see a familiar face peering though the glass from arrivals area. I leave the boy to collect the bags from the carousel and head over to Marius who then spots me I get a big grin then a confused look and he signals where's the little guy. I point at the great lump grinning and waving from the carousel Marius looks back at me and raise's his hand from level with his hip where he had been tapping an imaginary child on the head to level with his own. We grab the bags and head out to meet properly we head out to the bakkie and load up the bags. we leave louis and the dogs to guard the truck and head back into the airport to wait for a fellow hunter who should have arrived earlier but whose plane had been delayed. We had chance to talk about the upcoming week and trying to guess which guy was going to be our man while we waited. It was not long before John appeared and after our introductions we loaded up and headed off to Mpunzi . A quick stop for pies along the way and it didn't seem long before we were being shown our room for the week. After settling in and freshening up we headed out to the range just to check the rifle we were using, all was good the light was starting to fade as we packed up and returned to the lodge.

Smitty likes this.

3. Firebird

Firebird AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I’m excited to see the photo part of the story-enjoying the read as well, please keep it coming!

4. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Back at the lodge for evening meal, everyone had now arrived their were three other hunters in camp this week all arrived today. Well apart from another AH member Sandrat and wife Sandy who had arrived a couple of days before us, both of whom had been in camp when my son and I were on our first trip to KMG four years ago. It was good to see them again. There was John who had travelled with us from the airport and Andy and his wife and me and louis . As we sat talking amongst ourselves Marius appeared with the legendary caps and began to hand them out until he gets to me and stops and looks at me. I tell him to hand one over as it can go with my collection, as he passes me the hat Marius grumbles that I do not know why I give you these you never wear them. We later discuss plans for the morning we will head out for waterbuck and at the same time the dogs are running not to far away for Caracal and if the find they will ring and we will head off. Plans made it was off to bed.

5. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    So day one of hunting, We get our cup of tea and grab some breakfast and soon we are headed out the door and on to where we will hunt waterbuck. We arrive and pick up one of the farm trackers and head off into the wilds Marius said he had seen some good bulls here but the hunting was hard. The property consisted of a couple of steep gorges that ran through the what looked like the middle of the property the rest of the ground was covered by thick scrub with areas of open ground containing short grasses, and along one boundary some high hills from which we would spot from. We head off towards the high ground as we head off up the side of one of the gorges we bump a troop of baboons that take off up the opposite side of the gorge we all bail out of the bakkie we set the sticks and look for a male the ones we did see didn't stop to take in the view and were soon gone. We load back up and head off again. We arrive at the view point and set up the spotting scope spread out and begin to search our areas for waterbuck. After about half an hour I returned to the truck to grab some water Marius was there and he pointed out some females they had spotted but had not found a male yet, just as I started to head back to my spot Marius's phone rang I turned and he began to wave me back I knew that the dogs must be on a caracal we began to pack up the kit and marius called Lloyd and the other tracker back all the gear aboard we took off down the hill at a less than gentle pace. We dropped of the farm tracker and said we will be back later and headed off at light speed.

6. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    We soon arrive at the designated rendezvous point Marius gets on the phone as he does a bakkie appears around the corner, quick check to make sure their the right guys and we follow them off down the road then a bit of cross country driving to a scrubby wooded area on the side of a steep bank. As we step out of the truck we can hear the dogs baying in the wood. We get our kit and quickly head off towards the hounds we creep in Marius say's we need keep quiet and move slowly as we get near. We reach the dog handler and spot the cat in the tree. My first impression was the cat was much larger than I imaged them to be Marius asked who was shooting I point to the boy and Marius and louis get set up after a bit of adjustment the shot rings out from the 300 and the cat drops from the tree. The cat is quickly rescued from the dogs. View attachment 298765 View attachment 298765 View attachment 298767

7. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
  8. Gemsbok Gangsta

Gemsbok Gangsta AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DU SCI NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia/East Cape 2016
    What a great start!!!! That cat is awesome..

9. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    We thank the guys and follow them out back onto road though some fields of pineapples at various stages of growth. Suddenly the lead truck stops two young lads jump off the back, Marius is oh wonder what's up, the two young lads grab an arm full of pineapples and put them in the back of our truck for us. We had pineapple with most meals at mpunzi the rest of the week and those pineapples tasted great. We returned to the property we had been that morning and by now it was early afternoon. Back at the vantage point we began to scour the vegetation for signs of waterbuck but nothing showed itself. Marius was keen to leave early as we were to sit for bushpig tonight and wanted to get back with plenty of time as the bushpig had been coming early so at 4pm with no animals moving we decided to make a move. That's when I noticed the boy didn't have his binoculars" oh I can't find them" after a quick search and a discussion he thinks he left them where we stopped for the baboon in the morning. We would be back here tomorrow so we decided to look for them then. We arrive back at Mpunzi Marius and I go and get ready for the evening in the hide and then meet up for a quick snack, Lloyd collects us and we head out as the light fades. It was a still night with almost no wind and moonlit you see and hear everything, just after 8pm we decided that we would leave as Marius felt we would be wasting our time to wait any longer.

10. Sand Rat

Sand Rat AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Texas, Mississippi, Kansas, Botswana, Eastern Cape
    Great to see you and Louis again and share camp. Wish we had more time to catch up and visit. The fishing was fun, hope you guys got some pics of the fish.