SOUTH AFRICA: KMG Father & Son Hunt June 1- June 12

The mass on that impala looks awesome. Hard to take a day off from hunting, but sometimes its better in the long run. Enjoying the tale. Bruce

Holy cow! What was I thinking? I forgot that during the torrential downpour and nasty cold weather we did manage to put on a evening stalk before dinner. We saw some black wildebeest sunning themselves out of the wind. They were getting the most of the situation they had to deal with as well. The roads were way to greasy to travel far from the lodge, so we hoofed it. The rain was hit and miss. Just hard enough to get you soaking wet and pissed off. Misty, blowing sideways rain. Good thing the Savage is a Weather Warrior. Dad's rifle is still out of service and this wet weather is not helping any matters. We waited, in the rain, for a good shooting scenario. It finally comes. Dad shoots a black wildebeest. All the wetness and cold goes away in an instant. We managed to harvest something out of this otherwise abysmal day. Marius is happy, I am happy, Dad is happy. The last picture is what appeared right after the shot. Hopefully things are turning around.
DSC_0198.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG

Our Ju-Ju is starting to return!:A Big Hello:

I'm glad everyone is liking the post. Just to let you know a little more about my dad and our hunting style. We don't carry a tape measure. Never will. The hunt to us is about good times and bad one's too. It's about being together and sharing memories. We live on opposite sides of the US and don't see one another often enough. It is about the stalk, time spent together, harvesting a mature representation of the species and drinking scotch at the end of a hard day. :D Cheers:
+1
You always have great hunts with that attitude :) Damn I need to go back to try for a bushbuck!!
Great report, keep it coming and give my best to Marius and Flex!!

June 5. We do in fact split up.. I hunt with Leow and Dad goes with Marius. Dad is apprehensive about using someone's gun other than his own, but it was an executive decision that I made. Dad has quite a list of animals he would like to harvest. This trip is his first and last. He needs to be behind his own firearm. This is a start. He will be shooting a .308 of Marius' that is a tack driver. Light breakfast and off we go.

After a brief walk, I connect with another Kudu at 233 yards. He is a larger specimen. That Barnes TTSX is nasty. If you have seen the commercial promoting them, then you know what they look like recovered. I did recover two. Both from my Kudus. They look exactly like you think they should, 4 petals peeled back to the shank. Nearly 100% weight retention.

Dad does more walking and just didn't find his rhythm. We meet back at the lodge for lunch and decide to head out again with our respective PH's. Before we head out, Graham, who is the lodge manager and an upcoming PH, decide to check the bush pig bait pile. we just happened to come upon a group of black Wildebeest. I guess you can say the curiosity got the better of him. Sticks up, Safety off, Boom! Smack! This shot was closer, 150 yards, but the damn thing ran off, fast! Oh boy. I'm thinking gut shot. We find bright blood. A little at first, then lots. YES! He is piled up under the acacia trees. Black Wildebeest are neat to look at up close. Tons of character. This animal was not on my list, but I am learning very fast that you hunt what is presented to you. Take what is available, as long as your wallet can too! No luck for Dad today. I stalk some very elusive zebra. These animals are hard to spot, for me at least, and disappear just as quick.

Dinner was venison curry. Good flavor, just needed more heat. Being from Arizona and all, we like it hot. Dad is getting sore and tired. I still feel good. Today was exciting.
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2382.JPG
IMG_2388.JPG

Well after some discussion I agree to use Marius' 308. I spend the next couple of hours trying to become one with the gun as there is no time to shoot it at the range. I will say, that anyone that needs/wants to hunt with his weapon will be more than pleased with its performance. Yes, dad is getting sore and tired (also sick). This old body is not as nimble and spry as it once was, and it takes a bit more time to recharge. The African hype has worn off and its now working on what is in the tank. Hopefully it won't run dry. We will make it, although at a slower pace. Hunting this part of Africa is not as seen on TV. Time for a Scotch and bed.

June 6. Today is a better day. Off to another concession to hunt Gemsbok. Marius' wife, Kim, came up and is welcome company. Maybe she is our good luck charm for the day. Too early to tell. We see giraffe, cape buffalo, red hartebeest, waterbuck, duiker, yellow mongoose, warthog, blesbok, impala, springbok and kudu. Basically almost all the plains critters are out.

The morning starts off with a bang, literally. We stalk to within 25 yards of the herd. Marius keeps saying we are too close. We are if that is possible. Dad shoots a cow, twice and she goes no where. I'm a little too far behind to double up. By the time I get to Marius and get the gun from Dad, it is too late. The bull runs off. Damn. What we we thinking. It can't be this easy for the father/son duo.

Now comes the hard part. Trying to get me close enough for a shot on a Gemsbok. They are elusive and cover a lot of ground, a lot. Dad stays behind with Kim in the bakkie and Marius and I have multiple failed stalks along the way. We finally put together a 3 mile plus stalk, seriously. We belly crawl, crab crawl, run and finally get into a decent shooting scenario. The wind is finally in our favor. They are walking away from us probably thinking, "Those dumbasses CAN'T still be trying to follow us". Wrong answer. We had come too far to give up. Wait. Wait. This is it, the open window, BOOM! Off they run. What the heck? Marius asks if I hit it. Hell yes I did, I think. I hope I did. How far was she I ask. 180 yards. Time to start looking. The dogs are with the bakkie in a different time zone. We had wandered quite far.

There it is, piled up in a bush 50 yards away. I really need to start working on trying to anchor this animals in place. My heart can't take it. Upon closer exam, the Gemsbok is old, really old. The cow has little to no teeth left and her hide is starting to show the signs of being malnourished. She would not have made it much longer. Marius offers me another skin for mounting purposes and I refuse. This one is mine and I have learned to take what is presented. Skull mount it is. The memory is in this grueling and challenging stalk. We worked hard, really hard for this one. Whew!

We call Kim and Dad to come find us. We are, in fact, on the other side of the concession, which is quite a distance from them. I decide to try and call home while we wait. It connects immediately. Holy shit. You kidding me? Here I am in the middle of freakin' no wheresville and my cell phone finally decides to get reception after all this time. I talked to my wife and youngest daughter. She is 5 and is very vocal about me getting a zebra for her room. Marius hears the request and will try to accommodate. As quick as I got a signal, it is gone. No warning. Glad I touched base.

Things are finally coming together. We both harvested today. Let's hope we stay on track. Shots of Jager again and the bottle of Glenmarongie is polished off. Dinner was warthog sausage. Quickly becoming a favorite.
IMG_2399.JPG
IMG_2418.JPG
DSC_0207.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_2397.JPG
IMG_2401.JPG

Really a lot of fun reading your report. Being able to do such a great trip with your dad just makes it all the better! Thanks for the report.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your report, thoroughly enjoying the read!

Great Trip. Great Trophies ! Good times !

Gutterdoc, great report, it sure is fun hunting with Marius, and that 308 of his does a dandy job on game. Can't wait to get back there and do some hunting with Marius again.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us here. Wonderful report, and congratulations on your great trophies. Kevin

Sorry folks. I'm traveling again. I will get more out soon. There is still 5 days of story left. I know I'm dragging it out. If you want to come and watch the kids and dogs and do the chores, I'll be sure to get more posted. At least more more day is coming before I leave tomorrow AM.

OK. I'm home. Who wants the rest of the story?

I can't wait, type some more out!!!!

Anytime. I might pass before you get this thing done!

Keep it coming

June 7. Off to hunt impala and Blue Wildebeest, again. Our hunting thus far has been hard and tiring. It is starting to take its toll on Dad. To add insult to injury, we keep getting busted by ostriches with bright red legs, if you know what I mean! The last thing we want to do is get mauled by a male ostrich. Ostriches are horrible, completely horrible. Once they run, so does EVERYTHING. The only place I have for one is on my dinner plate.

We finally spot a lone ram Impala. As usual, a long stalk ensues. Marius brings me up downwind, right behind this guy grazing. He has no idea we are there. Sticks up. One shot, double lung with a short recovery in the thick veld by Flex and Rigby. Time for an evening strategy for the elusive Blue Wildebeest.

We spot some blues coming out of the veld and a plan is put into place. Dad and Marius head off. I have a higher vantage point and can see that there are in fact two groups moving in front of them. They cannot see both groups and decide to head to the original targeted group. Dusk is quickly approaching and Dad shoot one full frontal. He is down. Whew! Another shot is added for good measure because it is almost dark.

Another late night. Back home for springbok pot roast. Very good. Very tender. I actually haven't had anything bad yet....except for the salad dressings. I don't like them at all. The weather is slowly improving. With a little luck we will finish. Marius is working hard, very hard.
DSC_0217.JPG
DSC_0221.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg