SOUTH AFRICA: Karoo Wild Safaris Hunting Report

What a great post of your African Adventure. Very informative and loved the little insights you provide. Your bullet points on helpful hints is dead on target, if I could add one item it would be to research all that is needed to have your mounts and trophies shipped home. This would be Customs, Brokers, Shipping Agents and Government Agencies. It does not matter if you are planning on your trophies being done in country or at home, there is going to be paper work no matter which avenue you choose. Again, your bullet points are dead on for the first timer visiting Africa.

On "The Disease" - It is air born contaminate you take back home. Got it myself, when times are hard and I find myself with "the Fever" a quick read of End Of The Game or viewing Out Of Africa has a very soothing effect. If you feel the need for rehab, try a college or university course on African Studies can help you out. Lastly, there is no cure for this "Disease" - it can only be managed.

Neale,

A very nice write up. Sounds like a great trip. So what is on your list for your next trip to Africa?

I am no authority on these matters but here are few things that I think may help others

· Practice a lot with the firearm that you are taking on safari and be confident with it

· A bipod was a great asset to me at times but that is a personal preference

· Practice off some sticks or even using a lean on a post so that shooting standing up is comfortable

· Practice some longer shots out to a range you feel comfortable. The opportunity for a trophy may only present itself at an extended range in hilly country

· Take your time and be settled before taking the shot. A missed opportunity is far better than tracking a wounded animal

· Do a bit of walking to get fit as the whole experience is better if you have a bit of stamina

· Keep diary notes after each day so you can refer back to them when you get home

· Most important, enjoy the countryside and ask your PH a lot of local questions when travelling. They really love answering stupid questions multiple times

You're wrong, you're an authority now. Welcome to the club.

You absolutely nailed it on your suggestions. Especially the repeated use of the word practice. :)

So have you begun to plan the next trip yet?

Lee M and Royal 27
I am not planning at this stage but the bookmarks on my internet browser take half a day to scroll through the African outfitters. I can only dream at this point. Got taxidermy to pay for yet.
I would like to see another part of the country even though I loved the Eastern Cape.
When Simon from TMS put up the "free Range Roosevelt Sable" package I was tempted but the Assie Dollar is not worth much at the moment and has been on a downward slide for some time. Got a good feeling about tonights lotto numbers though.

So many great outfitters and places to go and so little time and money!

Simon's offer is a heck of a deal. Just book with him before you let him know that you won the lotto so he doesn't go and raise the price. ;)

Neale

I understand. Even with good deals the cost adds up

Neale.............I sure liked your report and your photos................but especially liked your advice on getting the first shot right. Starting with a bad shot can ruin your confidence and detract from the whole experience...................................nice write up......................FWB

Congrtas for a great experience and very nice trophies !

Sounds like,you,had a fantastic safari. Some nice trophies. Good advice on the practice and especially on the first shot. Easy to get nervous and make a poor shot, especially if you are not used to using shooting sticks. Well done. Bruce

Neale,
Interesting report..........however I feel as though your not telling the full story. You seem to have inadvertently left out the two Impala culls I completely missed on day 1. You could also mention that the second Springbok that I wounded was dispatched by Victors father, again from some considerable distance. So that would make two wounded Springboks shot for me by my PH (or relative). I have heard of a hunters PH's having to 'finish' off their dangerous game for them but Springbok........really. Little bastards!!! I did however appreciate the numerous times you asked me if I wanted a Springbok skin from one of the many shops we saw them in, and that you took the skin from my first failed Springbok because I wanted nothing to do with it. Such a sensitive mate. Arsewipe!!!

If you are going to take away my manhood on a public forum then do it properly!!!!

I think that I felt as though shooting at a non moving target was beneath me. A true hunter!! Anyone can shoot those animals that just sit there broadside (except me).

Some things I would like to point out.
- What you fail to give me credit for is that most of the advise you give was taken from my mistakes.
- I took most of the photographs that appear in your report (because you were in them).
- I even took the wildlife/countryside photographs you use because I took to 'nature walks', as carrying a firearm caused me too much anxiety.
- You got to do so much hunting, because I was scared too!
- You had someone there to say congratulations. Not once did I say, "You lucky, jammy bastard. Why do all your animals just stand there with birds chirping in the background, butterflies landing on their back, looking at you saying; in this the angle you want me at Neale." (anyone else ever been on one of those hunts???)
- I convinced you that you needed to go to Africa when you told me that you would only do that when you were old and f@cked!! Luckily I was a good enough friend to let you know that you are old and f*cked!!
- When it came to congratulatory drinks at the end of the day, I was always there to drink them.

Now, what did you do for me other than let me see lots of different parts of the Karoo, see animals I wouldn't have seen and go on hunts for animals I could not afford........................nothing!! (There's always the aqueduct).

My memories from Africa.

I just wanted to touch a dead one!!! (believe me I didn't shoot it)
095.JPG

and, the bar
IMG_0437.jpg

I am sure I have other memories...................

PS - Neale I just checked my car and there appears to be a problem with it. Not sure if it will be fixed by the time you want to borrow it in 10 days time. I trust this is not an inconvenience??

Sounds like you boys had a great time - that's what Africa is all about.

Also a great hunt, and a great report.

Lots of great trophies. I particularly like the white springbok. In my experience the white ones tend to be smaller than the common - not sure if it's always that way or not, but yours seems to be one of the bigger ones I've seen.

Well done!

It is so good to have such good mates to take along on a walk in the bush!

Steve

I really feel that you're not giving yourself enough credit...

It was after all on one of your many "nature walks" that you located the kudu that Neale later shot. He shot that kudu for you.

Don't fix that car! Let him walk, his life has been too easy up to now...

Your right Victor, I had been looking at this all wrong.

There I was thinking that Neale shot that last Kudu as a final slap in the face but all along he was thinking; "Poor Steve, he'll never shoot that Kudu because it will just stand there (birds/butterflies). If he is ever going to see that majestic creature again I had better shoot it for him therefore he can gaze at it............on my wall!!".

Now that I see how generous and wonderful he has been to me I will let him take my car and drive it the 1700km's to where we hunt Red Deer, with all our hunting gear in it, whilst I take the onerous 2 hour flight later on, where he will pick me up from the airport and transport us to the hunting area.

Luckily we are good to each other!!!! As Neale favourite singer, Dionne Warwick once said, "Thats what friends are for......"

Thanks for posting all your memories and pics of your hunting adventure! Congrats

good stuff- nothing like a great hunting partner to make the trip better :)

Hey Neale,
That was a great read . What an incredible safari. You certainly took some fantastic trophies. Your waterbuck and bushbuck in particular were spectacular. Good to talk to you yesterday and keep me posted on your next trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg