SOUTH AFRICA: Just Got Back 5-28-21 From Free State & Limpopo

KencoArms

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Ok now Qatar requires a new form delivered 48 hours prior to flight they said it’s a new covid deal. I was fortunate enough to kill all my animals with one none ran off. The buffalo was shot in the chest with a 350 TSX from my 458 Lott that hit a lung and punched the heart he ran 40 yards into the brush and dropped giving a long death mone. Went went in after him and was charged by his running buddy. I wanted a long shot on a wart hog, 563 yards through the head with my custom 300 rum I built. The kudu actually rolled about 50 yards down the mountain and landed on a dirt road.
40B699C4-4EC1-40F6-BF50-570D237E9C21.jpeg
17F655B6-3A3F-415B-8A4C-F3732B3D08EA.jpeg
AFBB6BF3-66BA-40C6-9C24-A33B9CE9444D.jpeg
EA46F828-23BE-4A1F-9848-CB7F2ED530F7.jpeg
D29DCF77-C259-4DD5-905E-85F519B91E10.jpeg
81F264B1-F225-4659-B201-207A4D9F47E9.jpeg
38A0A977-54AC-47CF-8D4E-7C2E40D1E4D8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice trophies. It looks like you had a great time. It‘s interesting to hear how well the 350gr Barnes performed on your buff.

Well done, thanks for posting.

Great pictures, looks like a fantastic time. I really like the picture of the kudu with the hill in the background.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Good shooting and nice trophies. Am curious about the new form Qatar wanted.

Ok now Qatar requires a new form delivered 48 hours prior to flight they said it’s a new covid deal.

Can you elaborate on this?

I’m flying Qatar in about 6 weeks...

I know we have to notify them we’re bringing firearms 30 days in advance, and we have to have a negative covid pcr test within 72 hours of landing in SA...

Is this something different?

Thanks!

Can you elaborate on this?

I’m flying Qatar in about 6 weeks...

I know we have to notify them we’re bringing firearms 30 days in advance, and we have to have a negative covid pcr test within 72 hours of landing in SA...

Is this something different?

Thanks!
The test needs to be done no earlier than 72 hours before departure, not landing. Qatar requires proof of the test being negative. Went through this process before departure on 5/13 and arrival 5/15.

What are the requirements for the 72 hour PCR test for COVID-19?

Travellers intending to visit the country will be expected to produce a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test that is not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa; and be presented before travelling to South Africa. This test must be conducted by a certified medical practitioner and should have the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted such test.

Last edited:
Excellent trophies! Congratulations! How was Qatar experience ?

Congratulations on your hunt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Congrats on a great hunt !

Everyone gets caught up on the 72 hour phrase. It is actually three days before departure from the USA. We ran into that two weeks ago. The CDC website clearly states three days. The example they give is if your flight leaves on Friday, regardless of time on Friday, then the test can be done at any time of Tuesday.
We leave for Botswana on this Friday, our PCR tests are scheduled for Tuesday. Most places take the test throughout the day, then send them all to the lab at 5PM that afternoon, with the lab getting started on testing your sample the next morning. Then add 24-48 hours for your result to come in an email.
When we landed in Johannesburg, on Qatar, the fella at immigration saw the time on the card was beyond 72 hours and he called his boss over. She looked at the papers, then gave him a look like "you're an idiot" and said something in Afrikaans to him. He apologized to us and waved us through.
And we were sent a form that looks like an official form from Qatar Air. We had them ready at the check in at Houston. They asked what that was and we told them we were told to have it filled out and ready to give to you. They said they had no idea what it is and we tossed them in the trash.
All they needed was our passport and the PCR test. From the point on, they wanted to see your passport, your PCR test, and your boarding pass. On the way back, leaving Cape Town on Qatar, they looked at our new PCR tests results at check in, then they were never asked for again. Not to board in Cape Town, not on our layover in Doha, nor in Houston when we landed. Just passports and boarding passes.
Flying Ethiopian this next trip, that will be a first, and I'm sure it will probably have a different result.

The Carnival Booth algorithm is long gone. No two passengers are treated the same.

Is there a point in future where your vaccine card replaces the PCR test. Getting ready to fly to Ecuador and no test needed for entry with vaccination card
Don

Is there a point in future where your vaccine card replaces the PCR test. Getting ready to fly to Ecuador and no test needed for entry with vaccination card
Don
One would hope but it doesn't look likely. Food for thought on them:

Congratulations on your hunt! Thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks and congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois