SOUTH AFRICA: Just Back From Limpopo Province With Quagga Safaris

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
I just returned from 2 weeks in South Africa. Flew United Airlines non-stop Newark to JNB. Nice flight, but limited food/beverage service even in first class. No issues with clearing rifles (I use Go2Safari Concierge). Our group overnighted at the Intercontinental Hotel at the airport (again only room service and no alcohol). Expensive, but nice to have a shower and sleep in a real bed. We were met by one of our PH's and drove first to Kruger park for a couple of days. Lots of game viewing including a herd of about 500 cape buffalo in the Sabi river bottom. Amazing to see that many at once.
We drove on from Kruger to the Quagga Safari hunting camp on the Limpopo river. Great hunting. I took a second cape buffalo, golden wildebeest, a really nice (29 inch) roan, a giant nyala (30 inch) and a very nice white blesbok. Will post pics when I get things uploaded.
Overnight at JNB airport and home on United Airlines to Newark, cleared rifles with no issues and connected to DFW. All flights going and returning left on time and arrived on time. I did have a short conversation regarding ammo with the ticket agent at JNB checking in for the home flight . I have always locked it in a separate compartment of my checked baggage. He seemed to think the rule required ammo in its own locked box as a third checked bag, i.e. rifle case, checked suitcase and checked ammo box. That was a first for me in four trips to SA and Namibia, but all went well and everything arrived safely back in the US.
While the news reports of covid lockdown and rioting and looting in KWZ/Gauteng and in outlying neighborhoods of JNB looked pretty bad, it did not affect our trip at all except for no alcohol available in the hotel.

looking forward to a full report

Here's a pic of the big roan I hunted with my new John Rigby Big Game chambered in 416 Rigby. 400 gr. Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw through both shoulders. He measured at 29 inches with 10 inch bases.

dsc_0109-jpg.412764

Attachments

• DSC_0109.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 547
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a nice roan!

The pic of the Roan is a real teaser. He’s a brute.

A quite handsome roan!

Very nice roan. Congrats.
Bruce

Nice Roan, congrats !

Congrats, thanks for posting

This is the huge nyala I hunted at Quagga Safaris. This one was quartering toward me and I shot him with my Chapuis 375 H&H double. Federal Premium Swift A-frame 300 gr. just inside his right shoulder, broke that shoulder and leg and he ran about 40 yards and dropped.
I can't say enough good things about Quagga Safaris and Erik Visser's team. Attention to detail from the moment you book your hunt to the moment you board your home flight. They don't miss a thing. Great lodge, exceptional food and terrific quality and abundance of game.

dsc_0117-jpg.412897

Attachments

• DSC_0117.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 354
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Very nice trophies. Lady Luck was with you throughout the trip, start to finish. Congrats!

Nice trophies!! I really like that Roan!! Looking forward to the rest of your story and photos.

Congrats on a stunning Roan..................glad to hear travel went so smoothly.....it doesn't always.............thanks for posting...awaiting more..................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg