Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia
Threats to Shopping Areas and Malls
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
June 4, 2016

The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa informs U.S. citizens that the U.S. Government has received information that terrorist groups are planning to carry out near-term attacks against places where U.S. citizens congregate in South Africa, such as upscale shopping areas and malls in Johannesburg and Cape Town. This information comes against the backdrop of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant’s public call for its adherents to carry out terrorist attacks globally during the upcoming month of Ramadan.

For further information:

• See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
  • Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Arcadia, Pretoria
https://za.usembassy.gov/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/USEmbassySA/

United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Sandhurst, Johannesburg
ACSJohannesburg@state.gov
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
https://za.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/johannesburg/

United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
ConsularDurban@state.gov
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
https://za.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/durban/

United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
ConsularCapeTown@state.gov
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
https://za.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/capetown/
Tumbler: http://usconscapetown.tumblr.com/

Reactions: ack
I had saw this the other day and thought you have got to be kidding me. But I thought the places I stayed at all have people with guns...so not exact the soft targets that ISIS is known for picking.

Keep you rifle loaded and next to your bed

Well last check.... ISIS & taliban don't go after men with guns. They target defenseless women & children.

Yeah..this won't help me travel without the wife worrying more than she already is. Me and my 12 year old son are heading out July 6th to South Africa.

You will be fine..... I highly doubt you will spend any serious amount of time in JNB other than to get on/off plane.

I am not liking this. Some of my family have planned a trip to Cape Town while I hunt. What does "near-term attacks" mean?

I am not liking this. Some of my family have planned a trip to Cape Town while I hunt. What does "near-term attacks" mean?

Near term means June 6 to July 5. Of course ISIS can read too and make their attack post-near term. i.e. after July 5.

I am planning 5 days in Cape Town right on the waterfront (i.e. the tourist area) with my hunt too. Plus I will be in Zambia right before the elections and their is a travel warning there too, but its not ISIS, just the rioting locals.

If we let them dictate where we go then they have won. Have a good trip and a safe hunt.

I'm headed over in 6 days, not worried one bit about those sorry little bitches! I have more concern hunting in Mexico, but still doesn't stop me from hunting there. ISIS are a bunch of cowards, just like their buddies in the Taliban. Hide behind women, children, hospitals and houses of worship, bunch of pussies as far as I'm concerned! Put a trophy fee on them and I'd sell everything I own to go hunt.
I wish Reagan was still the president, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Killing them basturds would have been his main goal in life instead we have their homeboy sitting in the whitehouse! Makes me sick that our country is laughed at instead of respected like we once were.
Sorry for the rant,
Cody

I'm headed over in 6 days, not worried one bit about those sorry little bitches! I have more concern hunting in Mexico, but still doesn't stop me from hunting there. ISIS are a bunch of cowards, just like their buddies in the Taliban. Hide behind women, children, hospitals and houses of worship, bunch of pussies as far as I'm concerned! Put a trophy fee on them and I'd sell everything I own to go hunt.
I wish Reagan was still the president, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Killing them basturds would have been his main goal in life instead we have their homeboy sitting in the whitehouse! Makes me sick that our country is laughed at instead of respected like we once were.
Sorry for the rant,
Cody

reaganandmujahideen1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Dragan,
I am aware of our dealings with Iran and Afgans during the administration, but thanks for the picture.

Stay in the bush and have fun hunting.

Sorry for the rant,
Cody
Cody
In this Valley ISIS and the Taliban need to be scared of us!
Come and have fun, this will probably the safest place to be!
Beans

Security, particularly baggage searches, seems low level to non-existent in JNB.

Cody
In this Valley ISIS and the Taliban need to be scared of us!
Come and have fun, this will probably the safest place to be!
Beans
Beans,
No worries here, I'm ready to be there! Going to be a long week waiting til Saturday!

@buddy48 ,

Have a great trip and don't worry about it, you will be fine! Like @BWH said, doubt much time will be spent in JNB except getting in and out of the airport

GOV.UK
Search
  1. Home
  2. Passports, travel and living abroad
  3. Travel abroad
  4. Foreign travel advice
Foreign travel advice

South Africa
SummaryCurrent travel advice
  • Terrorism
  1. Entry requirements
  2. Health
  3. Money
  4. Contact FCO Travel Advice Team
Subscriptions
Get updates
Terrorism
There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners such as shopping areas in Johannesburg and Cape Town.

There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg