SOUTH AFRICA: Intaba Safaris May 2017

GAJeremy

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
From the beginning of my hunting career, Africa has always been at the top of my "bucket list". In November 2016, I decided it was time to book my first safari with Intaba Safaris.

I booked a basic 7 day package for kudu, blue wildebeest, impala, springbok, blesbok, and warthog. The following months were filled with planning, anticipation, and adding 3 additional days, plus Nyala and gemsbok.

On May 2, I met my PH, Eugene Erasmus, at Port Elizabeth airport and the safari began.

The first hunting day, we began by taking a blesbok cull and the rain cancelled all hunting plans for that day.

Day 2: Shortly after daylight, we set up on a hill overlooking an area a large kudu bull had been seen in. A short (45 minute) sit, and the bull stepped out at 200 yards. One shot from my 30-06 with Barnes triple shock bullets and I was having pictures made with a 52 1/2 inch Cape kudu.

20170511_073018.jpg

After the kudu photo session, Eugene asked if I would like to try for Nyala with my crossbow. We went back to camp, grabbed the crossbow, and got settled into a bow blind. After an hour in the blind, several Nyala females started coming out of the brush followed by a big mature bull. A 32 yard shot with a Muzzy trocar broadhead, and I had my 2nd trophy before lunch!
20170504_122946.jpg

Day 3: We had a short drive to another concession for impala, wildebeest, and blesbok. The first afternoon I took a great impala, and glassed herds of blue wildebeest for the following day.
20170511_073229.jpg

Day 4: After an early breakfast, we were out looking for a blue wildebeest bull. One the groups had a nice bull we decided to go after. We rushed to get ahead of the herd and get set up for a shot. Within minutes, they began working their way within range. Another Barnes bullet later, we had a blue wildebeest.
20170506_103206.jpg

On the way back to the lodge, my PH saw a herd of blesbok that had a nice ram in it. We made a long stalk, and somehow got in range of him. One shot, and I had a big blesbok.
20170507_112527_001.jpg

Day 5: We traveled to another concession for gemsbok. While gassing a distant herd, we saw a nice male warthog. Gemsbok hunting was put on hold temporarily, and I made a good shot to get my warthog.
20170509_095217.jpg

We continued hunting and found a nice herd of gemsbok with a couple of nice bulls on it. A couple hours later, we were taking pictures of my gemsbok bull!
20170509_130008_001.jpg

After a trip to the skinning shed, my PH asked if I would like to go for springbok that afternoon. He had a farm close by with some nice springbok. We played cat and mouse with the herd for over an hour before a shot was presented, and I got my springbok.
20170514_142930.jpg

The rest of the trip consisted of sightseeing, Addo Elephant Park, Bloukrans bungee jumping, and great times with new friends.

I can't thank Eugene Erasmus enough for making my first safari a great one. I'm looking forward to a return trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your hunt success. That Kudu is awesome.
Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats.

Congrats! Sounds like a ton of fun!

Great hunt and report. You did real well for yourself. And Brickburn is right.....that is a nice kudu.

Congratulations on a great hunt and great animals. That is one beautiful kudu as well!!!

Great kudu. He's really straight up and down. Awesome start to a spiral slam too. :)

Quite the haul! Congratulations on your hunt!

very nice animals and great report.

Congrats on a successful hunt. Thanks for the report. As others have stated, great looking kudu! (y)(y)

Congrats for a good hunt and some very nice trophies !

From the beginning of my hunting career, Africa has always been at the top of my "bucket list". In November 2016, I decided it was time to book my first safari with Intaba Safaris.

I booked a basic 7 day package for kudu, blue wildebeest, impala, springbok, blesbok, and warthog. The following months were filled with planning, anticipation, and adding 3 additional days, plus Nyala and gemsbok.

On May 2, I met my PH, Eugene Erasmus, at Port Elizabeth airport and the safari began.

The first hunting day, we began by taking a blesbok cull and the rain cancelled all hunting plans for that day.

Day 2: Shortly after daylight, we set up on a hill overlooking an area a large kudu bull had been seen in. A short (45 minute) sit, and the bull stepped out at 200 yards. One shot from my 30-06 with Barnes triple shock bullets and I was having pictures made with a 52 1/2 inch Cape kudu.

View attachment 186503
After the kudu photo session, Eugene asked if I would like to try for Nyala with my crossbow. We went back to camp, grabbed the crossbow, and got settled into a bow blind. After an hour in the blind, several Nyala females started coming out of the brush followed by a big mature bull. A 32 yard shot with a Muzzy trocar broadhead, and I had my 2nd trophy before lunch!
View attachment 186504
Day 3: We had a short drive to another concession for impala, wildebeest, and blesbok. The first afternoon I took a great impala, and glassed herds of blue wildebeest for the following day.
View attachment 186505
Day 4: After an early breakfast, we were out looking for a blue wildebeest bull. One the groups had a nice bull we decided to go after. We rushed to get ahead of the herd and get set up for a shot. Within minutes, they began working their way within range. Another Barnes bullet later, we had a blue wildebeest.
View attachment 186506
On the way back to the lodge, my PH saw a herd of blesbok that had a nice ram in it. We made a long stalk, and somehow got in range of him. One shot, and I had a big blesbok.
View attachment 186516
Day 5: We traveled to another concession for gemsbok. While gassing a distant herd, we saw a nice male warthog. Gemsbok hunting was put on hold temporarily, and I made a good shot to get my warthog.
View attachment 186509
We continued hunting and found a nice herd of gemsbok with a couple of nice bulls on it. A couple hours later, we were taking pictures of my gemsbok bull!
View attachment 186510
After a trip to the skinning shed, my PH asked if I would like to go for springbok that afternoon. He had a farm close by with some nice springbok. We played cat and mouse with the herd for over an hour before a shot was presented, and I got my springbok.
View attachment 186511
The rest of the trip consisted of sightseeing, Addo Elephant Park, Bloukrans bungee jumping, and great times with new friends.

I can't thank Eugene Erasmus enough for making my first safari a great one. I'm looking forward to a return trip!

What a fast and thoroughly great hunting trip. I particularly like kudu, b w, gemsbok!!
Congratulations

Congrats, some great trophies taken!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

congrats on a great trip and some really good trophies.

Great report and that's a fantastic Kudu for the eastern cape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you