South Africa in April or May?

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Good morning to all my fellow hunters/huntresses!

I'm looking into booking my next Safari for April or May of 2019 and I'm trying to decide between the two. It will be in the Limpopo region of South Africa. I've heard something about the "rut" during this time frame, or am I way off? Any suggestions/advice would be more than welcome, and as always thank you all in advance!

Don't know about Limpopo but Northern Cape is really nice in April, colder in May and I froze off my ass in June.:eek::D

Either Month will be nice to be there. Kudu and Impala rut during those times typically. I'd consider late April and Early May

I would pick first 2 weeks in may for Limpopo.

Me I would choose zambia.....but maybe I am biased ....but too early for here anyway... so have a good one south of the river where Africa stops when going south....:whistle:...:A Stirring:....:E Rofl:

Ha, maybe someday Zambia will be on my list, but I'm easing into the "kiddy pool" of Africa hunting before I try the deeper parts!:LOL::LOL:

A couple of years ago we hunted the Limpopo the last two weeks of April - the Kudu were rutting (especilly 22nd on) and I couldn't believe the amount activity we saw - mature bulls in broad daylight - just like the NA whitetail or Mule Deer rut. Of course we didn't have Kudu on our wish list...

A couple of years ago we hunted the Limpopo the last two weeks of April - the Kudu were rutting (especilly 22nd on) and I couldn't believe the amount activity we saw - mature bulls in broad daylight - just like the NA whitetail or Mule Deer rut. Of course we didn't have Kudu on our wish list...

That's when you change your wish list!

There's always that $ thing that gets in the way for a lot of us - and I'm lucky enough to have a couple of pretty nice Kudu from our Namibian hunts...

Know exactly what you mean, and in fact I ended up choosing between a Kudu and a Nyala last time for the exact same reason. On the other hand, there is always next trip! Talked to the PH, he said that mid April would be a great time in his neck of the woods so that's probably what I'll try to schedule for...now if the airlines would just hurry up and put the tickets on sale!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Know exactly what you mean, and in fact I ended up choosing between a Kudu and a Nyala last time for the exact same reason. On the other hand, there is always next trip! Talked to the PH, he said that mid April would be a great time in his neck of the woods so that's probably what I'll try to schedule for...now if the airlines would just hurry up and put the tickets on sale!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck and keep us posted! By the way - what critters are you after on this hunt...?

Good morning to all my fellow hunters/huntresses!

I'm looking into booking my next Safari for April or May of 2019 and I'm trying to decide between the two. It will be in the Limpopo region of South Africa. I've heard something about the "rut" during this time frame, or am I way off? Any suggestions/advice would be more than welcome, and as always thank you all in advance!

I think either month would be very nice and yes you would see some rut. Limpopo is a very nice area to hunt. Good luck planning....it’s half the fun.

May..... end of story.. April, the countryside could still be super green or super hot..... go in May on dark moon.

Good luck and keep us posted! By the way - what critters are you after on this hunt...?

Well its not until next year so the list could change but currently I'm hoping for a Kudu, a Giraffe and maybe a bushpig. Going to try for a wing shoot as well. Other than that no animals specifically on the list, just have to see what pops up!

Well its not until next year so the list could change but currently I'm hoping for a Kudu, a Giraffe and maybe a bushpig. Going to try for a wing shoot as well. Other than that no animals specifically on the list, just have to see what pops up!

Yu gotta love huntin' "pop ups" - that's the most exciting and fun hunt there is ...

Dark of the moon in may, I hunted that time frame in 2015 and the Kudu and Impala were in full rut.

Going to mention something that I did that was kind of handy, especially if you are hunting on a tight budget. If you are hunting by opportunity in an area with a bunch (like 8 or 10 ) different animals, its hard to remember all the trophy fees. Had the PH tell me something quite a bit different than the outfitters' price list, one time I shot and it cost quite a bit more, another time he told me a higher price, didn't shoot and now I wished I had.

I shrunk and printed the trophy fee list, laminated it and attached it to my ammo case, that way it was with me all the time - just a quick reference and an easy way to keep track of the budget..,

Going to mention something that I did that was kind of handy, especially if you are hunting on a tight budget. If you are hunting by opportunity in an area with a bunch (like 8 or 10 ) different animals, its hard to remember all the trophy fees. Had the PH tell me something quite a bit different than the outfitters' price list, one time I shot and it cost quite a bit more, another time he told me a higher price, didn't shoot and now I wished I had.

I shrunk and printed the trophy fee list, laminated it and attached it to my ammo case, that way it was with me all the time - just a quick reference and an easy way to keep track of the budget..,

Thank you for the tip, that's a great idea! Currently I'm slated to go again with Lianga Safaris and the PH is Herman Scheepers, who is also the owner, so that cuts down on the unpleasant surprises (the only unpleasant surprise I had last time was my own poor shooting at the beginning). Still, great tip, and in the future I'll have to remember it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg