AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Bassmaster, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Nigeria
I have just returned from a great hunt with Bernard de Lange, of PH Safaris. We hunted in the Hoedspruit area bordering the Kruger at the "Boulders Lodge". Accommodations were first class, food and service were excellent, and Bernard was a most accommodating and knowlegable PH, going above and beyond to make sure my hunt went well and that I was satisfied. Indeed I was. I took a 38" Cape Buffalo, 29 1/2" Blue Wildebeast and a very nice Zebra. Although I did not wish to take one at this time, the Boulders had loads of great Sable, 40" and above, that I could have taken. Maybe another hunt! I was met promptly at the airport by Bernard, despite being a 5 am flight arrival. After a nice shower and breakfast, we stopped by for a morning's tour at the Huntex2016 show going on in Joberg. It was interesting to see some of the latest products on display and look at equipment from the South African perspective. We then drove 5 hours to the "Boulders" and had a very nice chance to chat and get acquainted with one another. First days hunt started with "sighting in" the rifles, which is really just checking out if the client can actually shoot or not, as the rifle I used was a 375 H&H supplied by Bernard which he knew was perfectly sighted in. My first 2 shots off the sticks landed within 1.5" from the bullseye so Bernard was reasonably satisfied that his client could in fact shoot. First day , on a blind stalk, we took the zebra at 40 yards after walking through a gap in a rock kopjie. He never knew we were there and the 300 gr Periguine bullet did its job. 2nd day was spent looking for and stalking buffalo, which there is an excellent population of good bulls on the property. Despite being on the sticks several times well in range, the buffalo would never present a good broadside shot so we decided to wait a bit. Did not shoot on the second day. Third morning early we ran into a nice bull in a relatively open area that was a good position for a stalk, so we made a successful stalk and closed the deal with an 80 yard double lung/heart shot. Again, the Periguine bullet did the job. Later that afternoon, we also took the Wildebeast and my hunt was done. Since Brenard knew by now that I was an avid bass fisherman, he then arranged for me to fish the Vaal River near Joberg with 2 of his close friend who are also avid bass fishermen. Had an excellent trip on Thursday catching over 40 bass.

Again, I was very pleased with this hunt. prices were very reasonable for the quality of animals I took, the hunts were challenging but not overly taxing, and Bernard was an excellent host and PH. I do not think I could have been more satisfied.

Also, I am an avid handloader, loading for 25 cartridges up to 375. I had not seen the Periguine bullet before this hunt, but they certainly performed well and I was suitably impressed. We recovered 3 bullets that all displayed a perfect mushroom with almost 100 % weight retention. They certainly have captured the formula for expansion, penetration, weight retention and lethality in the 375 H&H application.

I would recommend that anyone wanting a quality experience at a good price give Bernard and PH Safaris a look

buffalo.JPG
wildebeast.JPG
zebra.JPG

Good huntin

Jimbeaux

Well done!

Welcome to AH! Thanks for the great report and congratulations on your trophies.

Thanks for the write up.
Congrats on some quality trophies.

Love your old bull, congrats !

Thanks for sharing, congrats!

Looks like you had a great hunt. Congrats. Bruce

Those are some nice trophies.

Congratulations on your hunt! Do you by any chance have pictures of the recovered Peregrine bullets?

Thanks for the great review Jimmy. Hope to have you back soon for the next hunt.

Hi Jimmy
Thanks for the Kind Words. It was my absolute pleasure hope to be hosting you again soon.

Pro Hunting Safaris

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your hunt! Do you by any chance have pictures of the recovered Peregrine bullets?
Boela I will post some pics of all the recovered bullets as soon as possible, there will also be a full writeup on our website under the blog section.

Looks like you had a very good hunt. Congrats on your buff!

No but I am sure that Bernard can supply them. However, they looked exactly like the ones on their website. Perfect mushroom, 100% weight retention.

Second in the lineup was the Buffalo Bull. He was slightly quartering towards us on a 80 yard shot, the bullet entered the right shoulder and was recovered under the skin on the left ribcage passing through shoulder bone and opposite rib in a straight line penetration. The bullet broke the right front leg that enabled an immediate second follow up shot. The follow up bullet entered right stomach and was recovered in the left shoulder tissue also with a straight line penetration.

The first Bullet had a weight of 283.1 gr after recovery and perfect expansion with no visible problems, a 94,3% weight retention.

The second bullet weighed 283.3 gr after recovery with perfect form and great expansion, a 94,4% weight retention.

Last in line was the Blue Wildebeest. This was a heavy quartering towards almost frontal shot. The bullet went through the right shoulder bone and was recovered under the skin on the opposite side just in front of the hind quarter. Perfect straight line penetration.

The recovered bullet weighed 283.4 gr – 94,5% weight retention with perfect form and expansion

Attachments

• Jimmy_Buff-Bullet1-e1464081426678.jpg
    Jimmy_Buff-Bullet1-e1464081426678.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Jimmy_Buff-Point2-e1464098916982.jpg
    Jimmy_Buff-Point2-e1464098916982.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Jimmy_Wildebeest_Bullet1a-e1464099188786.jpg
    Jimmy_Wildebeest_Bullet1a-e1464099188786.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Jimmy-Blue-Wildebeest.jpg
    Jimmy-Blue-Wildebeest.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 135
Thanks for the hunt report, some great animals taken. That is beauty of a cape buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg