SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting Success With CT Safaris

glh

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Recently returned from second trip to RSA and second trip with Chris Troskie,CT Safaris.
Arrived JNB July 2,overnight at Africa Sky they also did gun permits and meet and greet,fine people.
First week consisted of touring,Boer Trekker monument,hot air balloon at Hartebeestportdam,cheeta project and Shangana village stayed at Glenn Afric.On to Kruger Park by way of Pilgrims Rest and other points of interest.Toured Kruger park for two days,saw big five first day,especially impressed with rhino at 30 yd.Park very dry but great to see.
Next came a week of plains game hunting near Lephalale.Took old zebra stallion first day very nice waterbuck second day and moved concessions for wildebeest and gemsbok.Chris and Sabina do a superb job and Samson was tops.
Rifle used was 60 yr. old Win. 70 in .270 it is custom stocked and nicely equipped.Load used was Barnes 140 gr. TSX which shot through just about everything,recovered only one bullet.
Great Stuff hoping to go back!

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/gharms1/library/?sort=3&page=1

DSC_0092_zpse93e639f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Please share some pics when you can

Congrats on your hunt sir! Start planning the return now.

Congrats on your safari and those great trophies! I really like the deep curls on your kudu!

How fast were you driving your 140 TSX? We used the same weight of TSX bullet in my boys .284 Win in RSA and it sounds like you had the same level of performance we did. Congrats.

Great looking waterbuck, they be my favorite antelope.

The photos are available by clicking on the photobucket link below,it was the easiest way for me.
The 140 gr. TSX had a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps. and was fueled by a reasonable amount of RL 22.This is standard Winchester .270 lightweight metalwork 22" barrel but restocked in Bastogne,rust blued and a few other goodies.It seems to produce good velocity and shoots everything into 1.25 moa with boring regularity.Broadside shots on zebra and waterbuck at under 100 yd. gave full penetration,entrance wound was bigger than exit wound.The wildebeest was at a hard quartering away angle bullet exited and animal went down hard but stood up for the finisher.Gemsbok was shot a little far back due to operator error but was followed up and dispatched quickly.
I was concerned the .270 would be a little light,shouldn't have worried.I do think past 200 yd. shooting would be iffy.

Nice cape buffalo!

Congrats, great trophies !

Nice buff!

Chris, Sabina (and of course their staff working in the background) do a great job in providing a personalised service. Highly recommended. Good to see you learnt from your first trip. You don't need a cannon to hunt PG. A good deer rifle is all you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg