osne

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Here is the hunting report from my long awaited first Cape Buffalo safari, which took place in November 2020 in Limpopo just after South Africa had started to open up from the strict Covid lock-downs. I hunted with Ernest Dyason and Spear Safaris and I couldn’t have been happier with my choice of outfitter and PH.

The hunting experience was out of this world, and after the hunt I spent many days and evenings re-living the memories at the keys of my laptop, typing a full article and selecting pictures I had taken – an effort which later resulted in a 10 page story published in African Hunting Gazette (see link at the end of this post)

THE TRIP

As many of you have surely experienced, flying in times of Covid is not exactly a smooth travel experience. But all things considered, the trip itself went very well. I flew with Ethiopian Air, and all worked out fine despite the somewhat over ambitious customs procedures in Addis Abeba where the rifle had to be collected, displayed for a number of customs officers, and re-checked again.

I had pre-booked a private shuttle from Johannesburg for the 3 hour drive to Limpopo. The service offered by Kham Shuttle Coaches was excellent. Once arrived in Limpopo, the coach driver dropped me off in Polokwane where my PH, Ernest Dyason, picked me up in his Land Cruiser and drove me to the camp. We arrived at Spear Safaris Bush Camp about 90 minutes later, where the fire was burning and cold beers and assorted snacks awaited us.

THE CAMP

The Bush Camp that Spear Safaris have in Limpopo is a great place, very authentic in style and perfectly comfortable while not luxurious – just the way I wanted it. All the staff were very kind and pleasant people, and I particularly noted that Ernest and his wife Marita runs a very friendly team with several key members whom they have worked with for decades. This was evident from the first rate collaboration between everyone, in camp and out in the field.

PB130347.JPG

THE HUNT

This was my third African hunting safari, and the first where I hunted Dangerous Game. Over the course of my week with Ernest in the field, we hunted long and hard every day. By the end of the safari we had managed to take two buffalo, a cow and a magnificent bull.

PB180600.JPG

I will not write a lengthy report of the hunt itself here, but rather share with you the link to African Hunting Gazette (Summer Issue, 2021) where the full story is published on pages 42-51:

https://cloud.3dissue.net/28329/28290/29334/57907/index.html

FINAL REMARKS

I am very happy to recommend Ernest and Marita Dyason, for their top quality approach to everything from administrative planning to the actual hunting experience, as well as logistics, food and everything else that is needed for a successful hunting safari. I truly enjoyed every minute of it, from our first connections over phone and email to our personal interaction in the bush. I am looking much forward to future hunting opportunities with Spear Safaris, hopefully in one of the other countries where Ernest is also hunting (Tanzania, Zambia or Zimbabwe for example). Next time around I think we will be hunting buffalo again, and I’m hoping that we will also be stalking hippo on land.

Feel free to message me if you want to know more about Spear Safaris or ask me questions about my hunting experience with them!

PB190670.JPG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.21 AM.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.32 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.41 AM.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.49 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 9.45.58 AM.png
    6 MB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

A fine dagga boy indeed! Looking forward to reading the story in the Gazzette.

Great trip ! Congrats to all !

Great write up. Fantastic bull. Congratulations!

A fine bull, congrats :D Cheers:

Here is the hunting report from my long awaited first Cape Buffalo safari, which took place in November 2020 in Limpopo just after South Africa had started to open up from the strict Covid lock-downs. I hunted with Ernest Dyason and Spear Safaris and I couldn’t have been happier with my choice of outfitter and PH.

The hunting experience was out of this world, and after the hunt I spent many days and evenings re-living the memories at the keys of my laptop, typing a full article and selecting pictures I had taken – an effort which later resulted in a 10 page story published in African Hunting Gazette (see link at the end of this post)

THE TRIP

As many of you have surely experienced, flying in times of Covid is not exactly a smooth travel experience. But all things considered, the trip itself went very well. I flew with Ethiopian Air, and all worked out fine despite the somewhat over ambitious customs procedures in Addis Abeba where the rifle had to be collected, displayed for a number of customs officers, and re-checked again.

I had pre-booked a private shuttle from Johannesburg for the 3 hour drive to Limpopo. The service offered by Kham Shuttle Coaches was excellent. Once arrived in Limpopo, the coach driver dropped me off in Polokwane where my PH, Ernest Dyason, picked me up in his Land Cruiser and drove me to the camp. We arrived at Spear Safaris Bush Camp about 90 minutes later, where the fire was burning and cold beers and assorted snacks awaited us.

THE CAMP

The Bush Camp that Spear Safaris have in Limpopo is a great place, very authentic in style and perfectly comfortable while not luxurious – just the way I wanted it. All the staff were very kind and pleasant people, and I particularly noted that Ernest and his wife Marita runs a very friendly team with several key members whom they have worked with for decades. This was evident from the first rate collaboration between everyone, in camp and out in the field.

View attachment 442314

THE HUNT

This was my third African hunting safari, and the first where I hunted Dangerous Game. Over the course of my week with Ernest in the field, we hunted long and hard every day. By the end of the safari we had managed to take two buffalo, a cow and a magnificent bull.

View attachment 442315

I will not write a lengthy report of the hunt itself here, but rather share with you the link to African Hunting Gazette (Summer Issue, 2021) where the full story is published on pages 42-51:

FINAL REMARKS

I am very happy to recommend Ernest and Marita Dyason, for their top quality approach to everything from administrative planning to the actual hunting experience, as well as logistics, food and everything else that is needed for a successful hunting safari. I truly enjoyed every minute of it, from our first connections over phone and email to our personal interaction in the bush. I am looking much forward to future hunting opportunities with Spear Safaris, hopefully in one of the other countries where Ernest is also hunting (Tanzania, Zambia or Zimbabwe for example). Next time around I think we will be hunting buffalo again, and I’m hoping that we will also be stalking hippo on land.

Feel free to message me if you want to know more about Spear Safaris or ask me questions about my hunting experience with them!

View attachment 442316
Very good story in the Gazette. I am scheduled to hunt with Ernest in May, and I am very excited about the opportunity.

THE TRIP

THE CAMP

View attachment 442314

THE HUNT

View attachment 442315

FINAL REMARKS

View attachment 442316
Congratulations! Thanks for the excellent article!

Very good story in the Gazette. I am scheduled to hunt with Ernest in May, and I am very excited about the opportunity.

Thanks Stephen. I am happy for you and Ernest, where will you guys be hunting in May?

Thanks Stephen. I am happy for you and Ernest, where will you guys be hunting in May?
Part of the time in the Timbavati area, the rest of the time where you were, in the camp north of Waterpoort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois