SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting report for Northern and Eastern Cape with Hunt the Sun Safaris

Upton O. Good

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.beingkarl.wordpress.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, United States, Louisiana
IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0097.jpg

I returned from a two week hunt with Mike Birch's Hunt the Sun Safaris based in Kimberley, S. Africa. It was an incredible trip, even exceeding my first South African hunt a year ago.

Outfitter: Mike Birch, Hunt the Sun Safaris

Professional Hunter: Evert Bezuidenhout (an incredible young man)

Animals hunted: bushbuck, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, impala, duiker, steenbok, springbok, nyala, warthog, geese

Animals taken: bushbuck, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, impala, duiker, steenbok, springbok, nyala, geese, shelduck, guinea fowl

Animals not taken: warthog (a half of a second more and it would have been taken, I'm gaining respect for these wary animals).

Quality of animals: very good to excellent. The steenbok may make Roland and Ward minimums. My desire was to take trophies that were old and had "character" and Evert delivered. Animals were very wary and challenging, lots of fun.

Firearm used: Mauser 30.06 My black wildebeest needed two shots to bring it down in spite of the first shot being through the shoulder and lungs. This is the first animal I've ever shot that got went down when shot and then got up again. All other animals dropped on the first shot or ran short distances before dying.

Accommodations: excellent, also stayed at Africasky B&B in Jburg for one night, highly recommend their accommodations and services.

Food: excellent All meals were well prepared using either game meats, lamb and or chicken. Several mid-day repasts were done over open fire in the bush, wonderful. (I discovered Africa bread which makes the most wonderful sandwich when joined with a little butter and chipped biltong. I declined the more "fancy" breakfast in favor of this wonderful concoction every morning.)

Complaint: too much to see and do and not enough time. And I'm tired of the United Airlines "cattle car" approach to travel in the U.S. South African Airways did a good job on the international travel.

IMG_0116.jpg IMG_3352.JPG IMG_0173.jpg

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Nice trophies ! And thanks for your hunting report.

These black wildebeest are tough, I suppose that s why they call them the poor man s buffalo.

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
Sounds like a successful hunt, congrats on the crate full of animals. From the photo's, looks like you got some rain during your hunt.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Nice report.

Sound like a great time...i also had talked to them about a safari a few years ago, looked like a good operation...however there are many of them out there and getting better each year.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Thanks for the hunt report. Nice animals, I really love the steenbok!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Thanks for the report.
Congratulations.

Slobbering over that Steenbok and very nice Boss on the WT Gnu!

Norwegianwoods

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
Congrats with a great hunt!
Thanks for the report.

Upton O. Good

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.beingkarl.wordpress.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, United States, Louisiana
Sounds like a successful hunt, congrats on the crate full of animals. From the photo's, looks like you got some rain during your hunt.

35bore and all,
Thank you for your compliments and comments, we had one day of rain, and a couple of cloudy, windy days. Early mornings were chilly but we were in shirt shelves by mid-day. The mornings were great for hunting bushbuck and I was able to take my first one. This was my primary animal I was hunting and I really enjoy glassing those sunny hillsides early in the morning with the sun on my back. Great fun.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Upton O. Good thanks for the report and Great Pictures, glad you had a great time the Bushbuck and Vaal Rhebuck are High on my list for next week. Congrats

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Good looking critters congrats

Stretch

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA , Canada, Botswana
Good report. You had some fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaRatcl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.