SOUTH AFRICA Hunting Information

NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: BIODIVERSITY ACT, 2004 (ACT NO. 10 OF 2004)
No.34326 GOVERNMENT GAZETTE, 27 MAY 2011
NORMS AND STANDARDS FOR HUNTING METHODS IN SOUTH AFRICA

Permissible bows for bow hunting
6. The following are acceptable types of bows for bow hunting-
( a) longbow;
(b) recurve bow; and
(c) compound bow.

Minimum requirements for bow hunting
7. 1) The minimum requirements to hunt specific categories of wild or allen animals by means of
bow and arrow are the following-

a) For wild or alien animals of a small size. including gamebirds, small carnivores, hares, hyraxes,
rabbits and pygmy antelope, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 30ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 300 grains;

(b) For wild or alien animals of medium size, including reedbuck, impala, blesbuck, warthog, bushpig,
springbuck and nyala, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 50ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 380 grains;

(c) For wild or allen animals of large size, including wildebeest kudu, gemsbuck, zebra, waterbuck,
sable and hartebeest, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 60ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 415 grains;

(d) Cape buffalo, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 80 ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 750 grains; and

(e) Giraffe, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 90ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 750 grains.

(2) In addition. to the requirements contemplated in sub-paragraph (1) the following conditions
apply with regards to the use of mechanical broad heads-
( a) for species contemplated In sub-paragraphs (1)(a), (1)(b) and (1)(c), 5% additional kinetic energy is
required;
(b) broad heads must have at least two cutting edges; and
(c) the minimum permitted arrow length is 50cm.

bow mass1.jpg

bow mass 2.jpg

Hi,

One of my contacts gives me an opportunity for a hunting trip in october in Limpopo, thick bush.

I have a doubt if this is a good month for stalking rifle hunt ? Weather ? Too late to find great trophies ? Better to plan in May/Jun 2017 ?

Please, can you accept to share your experience (professionnals and customers) ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi,

One of my contacts gives me an opportunity for a hunting trip in october in Limpopo, thick bush.

I have a doubt if this is a good month for stalking rifle hunt ? Weather ? Too late to find great trophies ? Better to plan in May/Jun 2017 ?

Please, can you accept to share your experience (professionnals and customers) ?

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/best-time-to-hunt-south-africa.11113/
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/best-month-to-hunt-south-africa.1658/

Does anyone know why they don't recommend wearing camo clothing outside of the hunting area?

Camouflage clothing identifies with the military so it may draw unwanted attention...

I appreciate all the great info on these forums. I am a new member, I do have a question regarding current safety in South Africa. I am looking forward to my first hunt in South Africa in the next few months, however, with the current political changes and climate, should I be concerned regarding safety. I am an experienced hunter, and have hunted on three continents, however, this will be my first trip to Africa. Any advice would be appreciated.

I appreciate all the great info on these forums. I am a new member, I do have a question regarding current safety in South Africa. I am looking forward to my first hunt in South Africa in the next few months, however, with the current political changes and climate, should I be concerned regarding safety. I am an experienced hunter, and have hunted on three continents, however, this will be my first trip to Africa. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to AH Mike!

If you apply all the usual safety considerations that you would use anywhere in the world or in any major city, you will be fine.
I had the same concerns on my first SA Safari and was traveling with my 13 yr old son. It turned out that it was really a non issue.
Our PH picked us up, at the airport. He spent the entire week with us including a couple days of tourist activities, shopping and big game park drives. He dropped us off at the airport and made sure we got checked in and through airport security on our way home. Never ever did I feel like we might be in trouble.
Book with a reputable Outfitter and they will take care of you. From what I have seen the outfitters really go over the top to make sure you are safe. Anything else is bad for repeat business.
So my advice is don’t over think it and have fun!

Welcome to the posting side! As stated, use normal caution but don't overthink it. You wouldn't go down the wrong street at night in a major US city. don't do it in SA. Most outfitters pick you up at your airport, but if you are bringing your own firearm, you might consider a service to clear them for you. You will not be far from civilization in SA. Other countries, a little more remote.

I just wanted to say “Thank You” this site is so awesome! It has been such a great tool for me and my son to prepare for our trip. Having all the links to the paperwork in one place makes life so much easier.
Thank You

Hi,

I have been living there for years. May/June are way better months, they are part of the official hunting season. October might be very hot and if we are lucky we might get some rain. It‘s desperately needed. Once I guided a client end of October, next to the Limpopo river. We almost died, it was hot like an oven. May/June/July: the top months for hunting Limpopo province.

trophy-hunting.jpg
SOUTH AFRICA Species to Hunt

These species may be available on the hunting license in the country; however they may not be available on quota anywhere in the country. Also individual hunting outfitters may or may not be given any quota or have any remaining licenses left for some species.

Some of these species may not be able to be imported back into your country of residence. You can find information on the importation of sport hunted trophies at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service at Permits or the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) at www.cites.org.

africahunter.gif
Big Five Species
(click on animal name for detailed info and pictures)
Buffalo Cape
Elephant
Leopard
Lion
Rhinoceros Black
Rhinoceros White Southern

Hello Jerome,
hope all is good at home.

I heared today, that leopard is generally closed in RSA.
All RSA leo- offers are going to Namibia (mostly).

(under reserve)
BW
Foxi

Wow, has South Africa become a freak show. The government is full blown racist and pro terrorist. Is it still a safe place for white people to visit and hunt ?

Wow, has South Africa become a freak show. The government is full blown racist and pro terrorist. Is it still a safe place for white people to visit and hunt ?

Sorry but this has got to be one of the most stupid things ever said on this forum

Honest question by someone who has not been to South Africa, who has considered going to SA, but who is simply following the weekly news about murdered white farmers, a popular and racist political party devoted to getting all whites out of SA and which advocates the murder of white farmers, and the recent alignment of SA government with Hamas. So I ask an informed question, albeit informed by news and not by hands-on boots on the ground experience. I have friends who go to SA every year, and who worked there, one as a wildlife biologist and another who worked there as a doctor in the bush. All tell me SA has really changed and they are reluctant to go back. So please address these concerns minus the name calling, which actually tells us a truth nerve has been hit. Thanks

Honest question by someone who has not been to South Africa, who has considered going to SA, but who is simply following the weekly news about murdered white farmers, a popular and racist political party devoted to getting all whites out of SA and which advocates the murder of white farmers, and the recent alignment of SA government with Hamas. So I ask an informed question, albeit informed by news and not by hands-on boots on the ground experience. I have friends who go to SA every year, and who worked there, one as a wildlife biologist and another who worked there as a doctor in the bush. All tell me SA has really changed and they are reluctant to go back. So please address these concerns minus the name calling, which actually tells us a truth nerve has been hit. Thanks

They way you worded it did not sound like a legit question
There was no name calling anywhere
There are literally thousands of hunters and millions of tourists visiting sa annually
All are safe
All return home safely and happy
What out idiotic government says is another story all together, but there are a lot of idiotic governments around the world

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg