Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: BIODIVERSITY ACT, 2004 (ACT NO. 10 OF 2004)
No.34326 GOVERNMENT GAZETTE, 27 MAY 2011
NORMS AND STANDARDS FOR HUNTING METHODS IN SOUTH AFRICA

Permissible bows for bow hunting
6. The following are acceptable types of bows for bow hunting-
( a) longbow;
(b) recurve bow; and
(c) compound bow.

Minimum requirements for bow hunting
7. 1) The minimum requirements to hunt specific categories of wild or allen animals by means of
bow and arrow are the following-

a) For wild or alien animals of a small size. including gamebirds, small carnivores, hares, hyraxes,
rabbits and pygmy antelope, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 30ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 300 grains;

(b) For wild or alien animals of medium size, including reedbuck, impala, blesbuck, warthog, bushpig,
springbuck and nyala, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 50ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 380 grains;

(c) For wild or allen animals of large size, including wildebeest kudu, gemsbuck, zebra, waterbuck,
sable and hartebeest, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 60ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 415 grains;

(d) Cape buffalo, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 80 ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 750 grains; and

(e) Giraffe, the-
i) kinetic energy should not be less that 90ft/lbs; and
ii) arrow weight should not be less than 750 grains.

(2) In addition. to the requirements contemplated in sub-paragraph (1) the following conditions
apply with regards to the use of mechanical broad heads-
( a) for species contemplated In sub-paragraphs (1)(a), (1)(b) and (1)(c), 5% additional kinetic energy is
required;
(b) broad heads must have at least two cutting edges; and
(c) the minimum permitted arrow length is 50cm.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted

Guépard

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi,

One of my contacts gives me an opportunity for a hunting trip in october in Limpopo, thick bush.

I have a doubt if this is a good month for stalking rifle hunt ? Weather ? Too late to find great trophies ? Better to plan in May/Jun 2017 ?

Please, can you accept to share your experience (professionnals and customers) ?

Thank you very much for your help.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Hi,

One of my contacts gives me an opportunity for a hunting trip in october in Limpopo, thick bush.

I have a doubt if this is a good month for stalking rifle hunt ? Weather ? Too late to find great trophies ? Better to plan in May/Jun 2017 ?

Please, can you accept to share your experience (professionnals and customers) ?

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/best-time-to-hunt-south-africa.11113/
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/best-month-to-hunt-south-africa.1658/

Mark Urbanczyk

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone know why they don't recommend wearing camo clothing outside of the hunting area?

diamondback mike

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Endowment Member, Safari Club International Life Member, Safari Club International San Diego Chapter
Hunted
New Zealand, Argentina, British Columbia, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, California
I appreciate all the great info on these forums. I am a new member, I do have a question regarding current safety in South Africa. I am looking forward to my first hunt in South Africa in the next few months, however, with the current political changes and climate, should I be concerned regarding safety. I am an experienced hunter, and have hunted on three continents, however, this will be my first trip to Africa. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
I appreciate all the great info on these forums. I am a new member, I do have a question regarding current safety in South Africa. I am looking forward to my first hunt in South Africa in the next few months, however, with the current political changes and climate, should I be concerned regarding safety. I am an experienced hunter, and have hunted on three continents, however, this will be my first trip to Africa. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to AH Mike!

If you apply all the usual safety considerations that you would use anywhere in the world or in any major city, you will be fine.
I had the same concerns on my first SA Safari and was traveling with my 13 yr old son. It turned out that it was really a non issue.
Our PH picked us up, at the airport. He spent the entire week with us including a couple days of tourist activities, shopping and big game park drives. He dropped us off at the airport and made sure we got checked in and through airport security on our way home. Never ever did I feel like we might be in trouble.
Book with a reputable Outfitter and they will take care of you. From what I have seen the outfitters really go over the top to make sure you are safe. Anything else is bad for repeat business.
So my advice is don’t over think it and have fun!

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Welcome to the posting side! As stated, use normal caution but don't overthink it. You wouldn't go down the wrong street at night in a major US city. don't do it in SA. Most outfitters pick you up at your airport, but if you are bringing your own firearm, you might consider a service to clear them for you. You will not be far from civilization in SA. Other countries, a little more remote.

Ty W Hart

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I just wanted to say “Thank You” this site is so awesome! It has been such a great tool for me and my son to prepare for our trip. Having all the links to the paperwork in one place makes life so much easier.
Thank You

Bushpig4Ever

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
Hi,

I have been living there for years. May/June are way better months, they are part of the official hunting season. October might be very hot and if we are lucky we might get some rain. It‘s desperately needed. Once I guided a client end of October, next to the Limpopo river. We almost died, it was hot like an oven. May/June/July: the top months for hunting Limpopo province.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings