SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting Down A Scammer

God bless you. I am sorry for your loss, but thrilled that you are working toward justice through the South African legal system. I had a taxidermist hold my fully paid trophies for 4 years. I was fortunate to have a friend on ground in Joburg to help me finally get them home. You did this all on your own. When your time comes, you will get a hard bossed bull on the ground

Well done taking down this criminal.

Sadly, most won't pursue this course because it ends up being too much effort/ risk/ hassle. Considering the risk associated with that first deposit, it makes sense why many clients go back to the same outfitter/PH year after year- security in knowing that you'll get what you're paying for.

This also highlights the importance of AH.com for vetting outfitters and for knowing what to do if things go south.

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for your support. Unfortunately when I booked that hunt I didn't even know AH existed. I only found this site, and joined up, as part of my research into finding this scum long after he had disappeared. (y)

That would be the best outcome of your being scammed; finding this great site . . . You're getting heaps of support, and good information here . . .

Keep up the good fight!

hey Timbo, who do you think is going to give this guy a personal loan to repay some one that he defrauded? That would be his next scam victim!

hey Timbo, who do you think is going to give this guy a personal loan to repay some one that he defrauded? That would be his next scam victim!
Since following this guy over the years he's been employed as a manager. Also his family runs a taxidermy business in the south of the country. Finally for him to have engaged a team of lawyers (THREE were in court taking notes!) It's highly unlikely he's destitute, or short of a buck.

This ole bloke wouldn't mind visiting Z A, just so he could look him up, and say, "G'day, fella when are you goin' to repay my mate Timbo for the scam you pulled on him?" Most likely get my head busted, but it'd be worth it. A better approach would be to serve him with the relevant paperwork in person with a Polisman or Court lawyer in attendance. I HATE scam artists, STILL have one bloke who rings me regular . . .

This ole bloke wouldn't mind visiting Z A, just so he could look him up, and say, "G'day, fella when are you goin' to repay my mate Timbo for the scam you pulled on him?" Most likely get my head busted, but it'd be worth it. A better approach would be to serve him with the relevant paperwork in person with a Polisman or Court lawyer in attendance. I HATE scam artists, STILL have one bloke who rings me regular . . .
Hey thanks Geoff! I'm humbled by your sentiments, however I wouldn't wish anyone to go see the cowardly bastard directly! But if anyone here ever locates him on the net (there's a few Gerrie du Preez on LinkedIn with no avatar pic. I can't connect with any of them for fear he'll recognise me and disappear again!) But if anyone does find him, just pass his contact details on to me please - and anyone else who wishes to say: "Hi! I've heard about you!!"

Merry Christmas to you and yours mate! (y)

That's cool, Timbo; and my version of the seasons greetings: May you have a safe, happy and peaceful Christmas, and an even better new year.

An experience like yours really is unwanted.
Not just that, as a Saffer, it angers me that a fellow Saffer would do this. Our current state services has no intention to assist victims unless they are forced beyond a point of passing responsibility, which is a sad state of affairs. This lack of will typically only supports criminals in their attempts with an increased chance of getting away with their crimes.
Many South Africans are just as tired of the corruption & crime in a beautiful country, but feel completely helpless or outnumbered in this fight so Timbo, you are not lone in this, at least you are making some headway.
Fortunately we saw some change in the political rings today. Perhaps there is still some hope!

An experience like yours really is unwanted.
Not just that, as a Saffer, it angers me that a fellow Saffer would do this. Our current state services has no intention to assist victims unless they are forced beyond a point of passing responsibility, which is a sad state of affairs. This lack of will typically only supports criminals in their attempts with an increased chance of getting away with their crimes.
Many South Africans are just as tired of the corruption & crime in a beautiful country, but feel completely helpless or outnumbered in this fight so Timbo, you are not lone in this, at least you are making some headway.
Fortunately we saw some change in the political rings today. Perhaps there is still some hope!
Thanks Jaws! Your succinct response completely encapsulates the current situation - and I cannot agree with you more!! And yes, its unfortunate that a minority tarnishes an entire industry, but am happy that members are taking note of this SOB. Like you I'm hopeful for the future - with my daughter and I currently looking forward to a great hunt with an honest, legitimate, SA PH next July. :A Happy Wave:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg