SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting Africa For The First Time!

Day 8

After breakfast we drove about 30 minutes to the next neighboring farm. We picked their PH in training. He’s going to PH school in a few months. The 7 month course that teaches wine pairing and cheese selection! He is 20 and told us they belly shot a blue wildebeest four days before us. Never recovered. The wind was blowing about 20 to 30 knots. We were going after Blesbok. We drove around the property for a long time, a few hours. First time I saw large trees anywhere in Africa. We drove to the other side of the property to glass. We spotted four. The stalk was on. We got about 180 meters, I dialed in the shot and fired. I thought I hit him but he limped off rather fast. 25 knot wind? With a big floppy hat. Made me miss. We started to track them up the hill. I had three more shots but they were all never right. Either couldn’t see the body or saw the butt and never the entire animal. After another hour we finally flanked them as they were walking up to us. The PH pointed him out and I finally dropped him. This animal was gut shot before and it healed. I noticed i shot low and got him between the femur of his left front leg. Dam floppy hat. I did remove my hat and sun glasses which helped On the second shot.

After dinner we saw a nice Nyala. We grabbed the rifle and the stalk was on. After about 20 minutes to get a clean shot. I took the shot, he walked about four yards. Beautiful animal. Last animal of our hunt. The sun just went down past the small hill. The pictures were very nice.

352DD2B6-4166-4915-85AD-26289623442E.jpeg
2767775B-2278-42B0-AE2D-21E8CD6BDE8F.jpeg
5FE3C528-AEC6-495D-ADB8-CD188633B585.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I learned about this trip.

Travel Express is a great company

I never wore shorts because the thorns are huge.

I ate Biltong and dry sausage every day before dinner

The meals we ate were incredible, every night she served us a different African animal to eat. Desserts were the bomb. Didn’t have one bad meal while in Africa.

Never wear light color shirts hunting, I asked the PH. He told me I look like a tourist. I did ask him.

Bring and wear as much camo as you have? I bought all new stuff for this trip from Tag, great gear. But left all my camouflage gear at home???

African animals can’t see blue? Blue shirts, blue jumpers anything blue. Didn’t know this. All the trackers and skinners wore blue jackets and jumpers.

NOTE: Never fly Lufthansa and have empty shells in your checked luggage? After boarding in Cape Town they came into the cabin to asked me to go with them. About 20 minutes before takeoff. I asked the attendant to watch my son. We walked down to the tarmac, the police the security person the Lufthansa person and myself had to watch while I opened my bag and give them the shells. I told them they were gifts for my sons mounts. They said no. Took them and got me back onboard with three minutes to spare! So crazy

But the best thing I have ever done is to be a member of this website. For the past 14 months I have read everyone’s post about South Africa. From packing to what to wear and what not to do. Best thing ever!!

I didn’t bring rifles on this trip as I thought it would be to much going on traveling with a minor. I rented a 30-06 with a silencer. Being from California I have never seen one of these let alone fire a gun with one. I truly want to leave this state just to be able to hunt with one.

I was told to blackout my sons face in the pictures. As to protect him from all the anti????? People. Besides he looks like his mother.
We stayed at Valley Bushveld Safari outside of Port Elizabeth for a ten day hunt. Get our 8 and receive two more animals free.

We walked about 3 to 8 miles every day. Average was 4.2. I started walking 3-4 miles about 6 months before my trip. About four times a week. A month before I walked 6 days a week. Have to say it really helped a lot. Made my wife very happy. Yes I still walk three days a week after being back.

I read it hear, just have fun, enjoy yourself and look around. WE DID

My son enjoys wearing the same shirts as me. While it last
Enjoy the pictures!

AB5C36D8-224E-418D-8C08-6D14C774E298.jpeg
803114DF-B125-4B20-92D2-B3017AF861E5.jpeg
3DB9D124-87E0-48CD-8D45-682B1E11D2C1.jpeg
776EB856-A0F3-4840-9E95-40803C3937B6.jpeg
31432BAB-037B-4BEA-A004-9518ED90A3BA.jpeg
7D06B70F-3CD3-410D-B7D0-16452E8F78CB.jpeg
B49B6154-A6F6-4D1F-B00B-1D970DF97F51.jpeg
7FD570EE-4972-4DB2-A0BC-A6952591F21D.jpeg
580D65CB-65A3-463D-B806-F2007360D43F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been 18 months in the planning. Found an outfitter from NECG. Made contact and sent in my deposit. Booked my flights 9 months ago. Los Angeles to Germany to Jberg to Port Elizabeth for our ten day safari adventure. Then to Cape Town for five days as a vacation!!
I traveled with my 13 year old son, a sharp shooter at the age of nine.
I found this website after doing some research, best thing I have ever found. I must give a shout-out to everyone who has ever posted about going to or traveling to South Africa. A big thanks to Jennifer at @TRAVEL EXPRESS, with everything going on in the world today she made it happen for us, we did have some changes made but she took care of them all. Philip Glass who made videos just for me!!! Well it seemed like they were made just for me….He also took the time to answer my PM messages. Thanks also to Beemaa who called and spoke to me for 50 minutes. I can honestly say this website and members made my trip a dream come true.

We left June 11 from Los Angeles to Frankfurt Germany. 11 hour flt, 10 hour layover then on to Jberg for a 12 hour flt with another 6 hour layover at Jberg to get to Port Elizabeth. So all in all about 24 hours of flight time with about 20 hours of layovers, two days to just get there. Thank God for lounges and books.

Upon arriving our owner picked us up and brought us to the lodge. They had dinner ready for us and we met everyone including our PH, he would be with us for the next ten days. They did start us off with dry sausage and Biltong, wow so good. They served this to us at every dinner too.

After breakfast we drove to our first ”farm” which is 30 square miles and next to Addo reserve. Today was kudu, we walked around looking for the grey ghost and never saw them, saw a nice warthog so I took the shot, he ran about 20 yards and expired. My first African animal, simply awesome.

We continued to walk and glass. We ate lunch and drove to the top of the hill to glass some more. We saw a lot of animals but mostly small bulls. We drove up another hill stopped the car and started to walk, it was about five o’clock, the sun was behind us, the wind was perfect, as we walked to the top we saw a nice old bull eating, the PH set up the sticks the kudu was a 1/4 broadsided so I took the shot. Heart and lung with a broken right front leg. He dropped on the spot. I couldn’t believe how fast it all happed. Day one was epic. Dinner was served around 7. Kudu was the main course, not the one I shot. I was in bed by 9 as I couldn’t keep my eyes open. We walked and stalked about 8 miles. An awesome first day.

View attachment 410580View attachment 410581
Beautiful animals! Well done!

Looks like a great trip, congrats and thanks for sharing!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Good job hunting with your son.
Bruce

What a grand trip indeed! So glad you and your son had such a fine adventure.
I really enjoyed reading your report and seeing your successes!
Thanks.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

You had a great time! Congrats on a very successful trip!

Congratulations on a great father&son hunt @Still alive ! I was in the same region as yourselves in June with my father, for our first safari! Also visited Addo :)

Thanks for sharing this report!

sounds like you had a geeat trip and good to hear about Jennifer at Travel Express I will talking to her when she returns from maternity leave as I will be going with Hammer Bullets in April for my first trip.by the way when you decide to dump Calif come see So Dakota we need more hunters and especially young ones this is a great pro gun state with a great Governor who loves hunting

Congrats! Looks like a great hunt- maybe your first, but certainly not your last trip to Africa!

It’s been 18 months in the planning. Found an outfitter from NECG. Made contact and sent in my deposit. Booked my flights 9 months ago. Los Angeles to Germany to Jberg to Port Elizabeth for our ten day safari adventure. Then to Cape Town for five days as a vacation!!
I traveled with my 13 year old son, a sharp shooter at the age of nine.
I found this website after doing some research, best thing I have ever found. I must give a shout-out to everyone who has ever posted about going to or traveling to South Africa. A big thanks to Jennifer at @TRAVEL EXPRESS, with everything going on in the world today she made it happen for us, we did have some changes made but she took care of them all. Philip Glass who made videos just for me!!! Well it seemed like they were made just for me….He also took the time to answer my PM messages. Thanks also to Beemaa who called and spoke to me for 50 minutes. I can honestly say this website and members made my trip a dream come true.

We left June 11 from Los Angeles to Frankfurt Germany. 11 hour flt, 10 hour layover then on to Jberg for a 12 hour flt with another 6 hour layover at Jberg to get to Port Elizabeth. So all in all about 24 hours of flight time with about 20 hours of layovers, two days to just get there. Thank God for lounges and books.

Upon arriving our owner picked us up and brought us to the lodge. They had dinner ready for us and we met everyone including our PH, he would be with us for the next ten days. They did start us off with dry sausage and Biltong, wow so good. They served this to us at every dinner too.

After breakfast we drove to our first ”farm” which is 30 square miles and next to Addo reserve. Today was kudu, we walked around looking for the grey ghost and never saw them, saw a nice warthog so I took the shot, he ran about 20 yards and expired. My first African animal, simply awesome.

We continued to walk and glass. We ate lunch and drove to the top of the hill to glass some more. We saw a lot of animals but mostly small bulls. We drove up another hill stopped the car and started to walk, it was about five o’clock, the sun was behind us, the wind was perfect, as we walked to the top we saw a nice old bull eating, the PH set up the sticks the kudu was a 1/4 broadsided so I took the shot. Heart and lung with a broken right front leg. He dropped on the spot. I couldn’t believe how fast it all happed. Day one was epic. Dinner was served around 7. Kudu was the main course, not the one I shot. I was in bed by 9 as I couldn’t keep my eyes open. We walked and stalked about 8 miles. An awesome first day.

View attachment 410580View attachment 410581
Congrats and thanks for the kind words!

Great hunt and what a great trip to share with your son! I’m still looking forward to introducing my kids to Africa. I can’t imagine how fun it’ll be to watch them experience Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber