SOUTH AFRICA: Huntershill Safaris Treated Us Like Royalty & We Filled Every Animal On Out List

Day 6 continued: The morning was off to a great start. Beginning the day with only 2 animals left on my list and gears switching from going after Steenbok right away to harvesting a beautiful Springbok in the 1st hour, we were back on the lookout for that monster Steenbok that Boyce had been saving for me.
It was now 8:30am and we drove around for about 15-20 minutes where we saw a couple of females and other beautiful animals as well. Now this mountainous terrain is different from the mountains we hunted in at Rocklands and Huntershill. Remember at the other property just down the road from Rocklands where I got my Kudu, was extremely thick and we were on our hands and knees to make the long stalk up to the Kudu. Huntershill was less thick but still had to plan your shots and pick your openings. Here at Comre you could long distance shoot from almost everywhere. It is very open with small bushes scattered around. With this being the case you would think that you could pick out every animal in the area. That my friends is far from the truth...Unless you are one of the trackers or a Ph. Like I've said many times their eyes are much better than ours. They can pick out a needle laying on the ground in the brush from 1000 yds I swear!!!
So like I said, we drove around for about 20 minutes and Mutile signals toBoyce Frans to stop. Mutile and Smiley both got all excited and they both at the same time said "SHOOT EM HE'S HUGE". Once again like every other animal I'm looking in the same direction that they are and I said "What? Where? How far?" They said "right there laying under the bush you can see it's horns." I'm like WTH??? They gave me a landmark to get me in the right area. I finally found him in my scope. He was laying down tucked under the bush and was only 35 yds out. Now these animals are TINY!!! I'm talking the body size of a house cat. From the ground to the top of their head might be a total of 20" but no more than that and they might be 20 pounds not much over that at all. This guy blended into the landscape soooooo well, I'm still wondering how they saw him with the naked eye. Unbelievable.
So back to the hunt. Now that I found his horns, and the rest of his body blending in so well I had to take a few seconds and get my eyes to focus and start looking for the outline of his body. Once I got that sorted out after about 1 minute, I said "I'm on him". Still totally excited once again they both said "SHOOT, SHOOT" I put the gun on kill put it on him and sent a .308 his way. I knew right away something wasn't right. That Steenbok jumped up, literally did a flip, stood for a hot second and was gone. I never seen something take off so fast in my life. I said "I missed". In my mind it was obvious that know matter were you hit that animal it should have never moved at all. I didn't have that good feeling like with the other animals. We of course went and looked for a bit and it was ruled that it was a clean miss. I felt like CRAP. All week I was dropping animals like it was going out of style no misses all perfect shots and quick kills while shooting 150-250 yds and here at 35 yds I miss a HUGE Steenbok that Boyce Frans had picked out for me. All I could think to myself was "ARE YOU FRICKEN DRY SHAVING ME? How do you miss such a close shot on your last animal of the hunt?" I really felt like I disappointed Boyce.
After getting back on the truck, I sat down in the front seat this time and said to myself, "Alright dumbass, that's done and over with. Nothing we can do about it. All you can do is smoke the next one." We drove around for about another 30 minutes. As we were driving down the ridge of this mountain 2 Steenboks jumped up from under a bush. Right away Boyce picked up his binoculars and said "shoot the last one". They had both stopped for a second but the 1st ram took off running. Luckily mine stayed in place broadside. I had to step out and use the door frame as a rest. I relayed to Boyce that I was on him and he said 150 yds. I put the cross hairs on the center of the body. (This small of an animal you can just "center punch" them for 2 reasons. 1st by doing so due to the size of them you don't blow up the hide and ruin it for your mount and 2nd your letting the bullet do all the work. The over pressure from the velocity of that round going through just blows everything up.) Once I was on him I flipped the safety off and went ahead and dispatched him. "THUD" The bullet hit right where I was aiming. The bullet spun that Steenbok on the ground and he never moved another hair. I heard Boyce say "SHOT" I love hearing that...Hahaha!!! I never did get an exact measurement on the horns before I left but Boyce was guessing 5-5.5" which is a very nice ram.
As we were walking up to it,(Don't think I'm getting all soft here I'm just telling you the truth. Anyone that has been blessed with this experience can totally relate.) I had to fight back some emotions. It was a bittersweet moment. I had just completed my 1st hit list on my 1st African safari. It went by in the blink of an eye. I also thought about how this hunt started and how much saving and work has to be done in order to go. As our Uncle Tom was in the hospital and we had brought up to him that we were going to Africa and were joining SCI. I can still see how he lit up and was sincerely excited for us. He asked if I had my hit list yet and I had not yet. The next day I thought it over and made one. I kept all the animals on there plus I had added the Kudu. I remember walking into the room and I kid you not the 1st thing he wanted was to see a hit list. I said does it look like this? He looked it over and gave me a thumbs up and told me it was PERFECT. He had been over there 9 times hunting and Boyce Frans actually guided them in 2007 when he was just a rookie PH. Tom told us for our first hunt that Huntershill is the perfect place and if we did go there to make sure Boyce Frans was our PH. I actually thought about that day frequently throughout this hunt and noticing different signs clear as day that Tom was with us the whole time. From the butterflies we saw only twice the whole trip. 1st time was while standing over my Kudu and the 2nd with Linda Veurinks Zebra. Also with the above average animals especially my huge Impala and monster Gemsbok we were blessed with. It was on that walk were I started planning on what I had to do to get our next trip booked to Huntershill.
65319592_10162084368260442_5359812898405220352_n.jpg

Day 6 wrap up and last bonus trophy for our hunt of 2019!!! After a great successful morning of hunting we headed back to the camp and dropped off the animals at the skinning shack. Now out of the 3 of us we filled 100% of the animals on our lists. I had taken 8, Jenni Ewing had taken 2 and Linda Veurink had taken 2. Our hunting portion of this hunt had basically ended. But as everyone that has been blessed with hunting in Africa knows...that's just not good enough. Now I was warned once you pull the trigger on your first African animal it's all over with and that I'd have an addiction far more addicting than heroin or cocaine.(Just for the record I wouldn't know
1f642.png
:)) Let me tell you something it's not just shooting animals, that's just a minor bonus. It's the adventure leading up to pulling the trigger as each hunt is 100% totally a different adventure from the last.
So I got to thinking and plotting a justifiable reason and argument to bring forth to the wife and add an Eland to the list. So far we have had every species that we had on our list plus more during our lunches and dinners. One animal that Linda told us we must try is Eland but we have not up to this point. She said it's the best steak you will ever have in you life. So I talked to Jen about asking Boyce Frans for a price on a "cull" Eland. She was totally on board with it. So I asked Boyce and he gave me a price that if I passed it up I'd need my head examined. Now the cost of a Cape Eland on the list is at $2,200 for a trophy bull. I will not say what we were offered, but it was not even close to that. Now cull animals are animals that are very old, sick, bad genetics, injured, missing horns, beat up, etc. You can go on just cull hunts and they are far less costly than trophy hunts, they are discounted greatly. So I went and told Jen what they would charge us and she said "Let's do it". She was surprised when I said "Oh by the way, your are gonna be shooting. You are the one that decides if we eat or starve tonight" LOL!!!
We met at the truck at 3:00 that afternoon and Boyce informed the staff that we would be doing a bry in the evening. Like I said before a bry is another term for a BBQ. The only difference between our way and their way is they know how to do it properly...hahaha!!! We got the .270 back out because were were gonna need the knock down power for this animal. Jacques Terhoeven the young Ph that was in camp with us as well with is client had told Boyce where he had spotted a couple of cull cows (females) up in the mountains. We were off like a prom dress to go shopping for dinner in Gods great creation. As we got in the area we were wanting to be in, we spotted a herd of about 15-20 Eland. At this point they were over a mile away and on the other mountain ridge across the valley. Boyce started coming up with a plan to close in on them. After going up and over and around the mountain we were on we ended up on the side were these Eland were. Of course they were watching us the whole time so it wasn't a huge secret. Also keep in mind in the past few stories I kept talking about how windy and how gusty it had been, well this afternoon was no exception. It was a cool breeze and it was whipping. Boyce parked the truck, told us to stay in the truck with the trackers and he would take Jen and try to put a stalk on this herd. Stalking was gonna be very tough. It was basically wide open with very little cover, very rocky and hilly. We sat in that truck for 45+ minutes when Boyce radioed for Mutile to drive the truck to the base of the hill they were at to pick them up. By this time they were well over a mile from us. They got back in the truck and said the herd always stayed one ridge away and was out of range. They pointed up the mountain to were they had stopped. Let's just say having Jen shooting wasn't the craziest decision I ever made. That hike looked like it SUCKED. It's a good thing she is a runner because I'd still be up there.
We got going again and jumped that same group on the other side of the mountain and they were on a dead run at this point. Boyce said "Plan B" I asked what is plan B? He said we will find another group. He no more than said that and we spotted a group of 4 Eland out grazing in the wide open. We were able to drive very slowly down this 2 track to were Jen could get a shot. Boyce and Jen got out and they were just over 200 yds broadside with a VERY strong cross wind. Now I was nervous about the circumstances, not with the distance so much as it was the distance with the gale force cross winds and her trying to get steady. Boyce set the sticks up and I picked up my binoculars and focused on the Eland she was gonna take. She fired and I seen that bullet hit and the shock wave move through the body. It hit the back left shoulder and the bullet came out low on the other side and it was bleeding hard (prob hit that artery back there). It was unbelievable, the Eland just took a couple of steps slowly. Jen fires again BINGO right in the front shoulder perfect shot. Again she stand right in place like nothing happened. Jen touches another one off (now she is getting flustered that it's not going down) that one went over it's back, Boom she sends it another round, "WACK" I see the bullet hit just behind the front shoulder. Still just stands there. Now she is getting anxious and starts to lose focus. The next 3 go over the back. She calmed herself down like I knew she could and sent another round, again "WACK" right behind the should again and only about a half inch below the last shot behind the shoulder. STILL STANDING...but getting tipsy Boyce walked Jen to about 100 yds and told her to put it on the head. "BOOM" she was on point and the huge cow dropped. What a relief. Now the .270 is good for ANY game in North America so I was like not a problem for an Eland. I was wrong. These animals are HUGE and SOLID. In my opinion the .270 is probably a little under powered for that animal. She absorbed 5 rounds and acted like nothing was happening. INCREDIBLE!!!
This was a very old cow Eland and her horns are massive. They measured 30"!!! Luckily it died up on a knoll perfectly to where we could back the truck up and roll it on. It still sucked. Try barrel rolling a huge cow sometime.
We rushed back to the camp where the trackers started skinning it and the filets (tenderloins) were cut out and 3 hours later the Eland was on our plates. We had the liver for appetizers around the fire. It doesn't get any fresher than that!!! I also confirmed that Eland steaks make Ruths Chris and Chop House seem like fast food...Just saying!!! Jacques Terhoeven fired up the bry and put huge thick strips of bacon, sausage and chicken wings on. They don't use charcoal folks. They use Mupani wood and the hot coals from the fire...hands down the best food we have ever had!!! Now Jen had shot her 3rd animal and put us at 13 animals for the week.
65475217_10162084368335442_45599680666533888_n.jpg

I'm glad she finally got the Eland. But I'm even more pleased to hear someone say that a 270 just isn't enough gun for such a large animal. Eland bulls are twice the size of a cow.

I'm glad she finally got the Eland. But I'm even more pleased to hear someone say that a 270 just isn't enough gun for such a large animal. Eland bulls are twice the size of a cow.
I'll defend the .270 all day long but from what I saw it didn't have the knock down power for that match up Hahaha!!! Not when an animal eats 4 rounds 3 of which where text book shots and then a head shot to dump em.

Glad to hear that your hunt was a total success. There was a write up a couple months ago that was very negative about Huntershill; anything and everything was described as poor including the food. I'm headed to Huntershill in October so it's good to get a different point of view. The other write up was one of the most negative reviews I've read. Let's just say that it had me concerned.

Glad to hear that your hunt was a total success. There was a write up a couple months ago that was very negative about Huntershill; anything and everything was described as poor including the food. I'm headed to Huntershill in October so it's good to get a different point of view. The other write up was one of the most negative reviews I've read. Let's just say that it had me concerned.
While I was there, there was a topic brought up about someone bashing HH. This particular guy was a local and liked to run his mouth online bashing HH without a leg to stand on. I believe he also runs an outfit. Not sure if it is the same guy for sure but what you described sounds identical. For what it's worth, You have my word the food is the best you will ever have and the accommodations are red carpet treatment. You my friend will have a blast, no doubt in my mind. I don't see myself hunting with any other outfitter. Please let me know how right I am when you get back!!! lol I'm jealous. I'll take your place if you want. hahahaha

While I was there, there was a topic brought up about someone bashing HH. This particular guy was a local and liked to run his mouth online bashing HH without a leg to stand on. I believe he also runs an outfit. Not sure if it is the same guy for sure but what you described sounds identical. For what it's worth, You have my word the food is the best you will ever have and the accommodations are red carpet treatment. You my friend will have a blast, no doubt in my mind. I don't see myself hunting with any other outfitter. Please let me know how right I am when you get back!!! lol I'm jealous. I'll take your place if you want. hahahaha

The guy was from the states, I think Texas. He runs his own hunting and guiding service. He complained about everything, from a dirty room to poor quality meals, everything was lousy. What concerned me was he claimed that the hunting was not fair chase that it was canned and that they offered him animals to shoot that were in nothing more than pens. He described it as the hunt from hell. Delighted to hear that your stay was terrific. I'll do a write-up when I get back.

The guy was from the states, I think Texas. He runs his own hunting and guiding service. He complained about everything, from a dirty room to poor quality meals, everything was lousy. What concerned me was he claimed that the hunting was not fair chase that it was canned and that they offered him animals to shoot that were in nothing more than pens. He described it as the hunt from hell. Delighted to hear that your stay was terrific. I'll do a write-up when I get back.
I can't wait to hear from ya brother!!!

Really enjoying your write up. The mass on that gemsbok is incredible and the impala... WOW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross