SOUTH AFRICA: Huntershill Safaris August 2018 Plains Game Paradise

But what truly makes Huntershill, if not unique, at least rare, is that Greg Harvey owns and keeps on property an helicopter, for the purpose of managing the wildlife and offering unique opportunities to discover both land and game:

DSC00562b.JPG

DSC00562d.JPG

I was privileged enough to be offered to come along when the rhino broke the property fence and went wandering...

DSC00989.JPG

It was a cold morning, but well worth bundling up.

DSC01018.JPG

We quickly found the place where the rhino tore through the fence...

DSC01009.JPG

But it took us a while to find the rhino, deep in farmland, miles from the property.

In the mean time, I was treated to a fantastic aerial ballet by Grant, the talented pilot, through the hills and canyons, and we saw endless game...

DSC01026.JPG

'Pajama Donkeys'...

DSC00998.JPG

Springbok...

DSC01031.JPG

Blesbok...

And many, many others, but what will remain in my mind is, on the top of the mountain, this beautiful Black Hartebeest with its mane covered in white frost
DSC01040.JPG

Huntershill offer helicopter sight and game seeing tours that you are unlikely to soon forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
As if this was not enough, Huntershill also offer a rare view into the prehistory of the land. Way high on top of the mountain is an untouched paleolithic site featuring rare rock paintings. Ask Greg, and he will place a truck and guide at your disposal to spend an afternoon going to see them.

DSC00941.JPG

It was truly a rock crawling experience...

DSC00946.JPG

But Henry, my Khoisan guide, was proud to show his people's cultural heritage...

DSC00947.JPG

What could have been this strange antelope with a trunk? And what story does this animal without a head tell?

DSC00948.JPG

As with many prehistoric rock paintings, the finesse and delicacy of the painting is amazing...

DSC00952.JPG

God knows what would be found if this prehistoric cavern and fireplace were scientifically excavated...

DSC00963.JPG

The view from the cavern. As most paleolithic sites, this dwelling site was carefully selected with defense, shelter, water and food in mind.

I was happy that I had booked a couple additional hunting days. I would have missed this unique opportunity to visit an undeveloped paleolithic site otherwise. This can be yet another half day-excursion for a spouse.

Last edited:
As if this was not enough, Huntershill also offer a rare view into the prehistory of the land. Way high on top of the mountain is an untouched paleolithic site featuring rare rock paintings. Ask Greg, and he will place a truck and guide at your disposal to spend an afternoon going to see them.

View attachment 247374
It was truly a rock crawling experience...

View attachment 247375
But Henry, my Khoisan guide, was proud to show his people's cultural heritage...

View attachment 247376
What could have been this strange antelope with a trunk? And what story does this animal without a head tell?

View attachment 247377
As with many prehistoric rock paintings, the finesse and delicacy of the painting is amazing...

View attachment 247378
God knows what would be found if this prehistoric cavern and fireplace were scientifically excavated...

View attachment 247380
The view from the cavern. As most paleolithic sites, this dwelling site was carefully selected with defense, shelter, water and food in mind.

I was happy that I had booked a couple additional hunting days. I would have missed this unique opportunity to visit an undeveloped paleolithic site otherwise. This can be yet another half day-excursion for a spouse.

Great report. My son and I hunted Hunters Hill in 2017. It was the first Africa Safari for the both of us. I must say it was first class in every way.

I highly recommend booking a trip with them. Hunting both the main property and traveling 2 1/2 hours to Fort Beaufort made the trip feel like 2 different trips.

We both shot Eland, Kudu, Waterbuck, Gemsbok and Impala. I shot a Warthog and my son shot a Zebra.

I took my 338 Win Mag shooting 225 gr TSX's. My son took his 7 Mag shooting 160 gr TSX's.

Both did the job.

Thanks for the hunt report and review. Lovely kudu and eland, both exceptional trophies! Great pictures, wonderful memories!

Wow!

This couldn't have more interesting if Disney did it. I was absolutely awestruck by your presentation and must say that it is the best information on a outfitter that I've ever seen in my life.

Every animal you shot looked so good I'd almost swear they could get up and walk away...why is that old buddy? Why is it that when I shoot something it just always looks......well....dead....real dead....hit with a small planet dead. Hahaha:E Lol:maybe it's that exit hole that you can throw a football through that might have something to do with it?

I will be calling my friend tomorrow and tell him to watch your thread. I am sure he will sign up.

Thanks for sharing!

I've exchanged a few emails with Greg Harvey. He seems to be everything you guys say he is.

Congrats, Well done. Enjoyed the report.

Boy did you stack em up. Shoot em while your there. Congrats.

I've exchanged a few emails with Greg Harvey. He seems to be everything you guys say he is.

Yes, Greg is solid.

Did you know he was South Africa Off-Road Racing Champion in 1995, 1998 and 2002? That tells you something about the guy! He now owns and operate the Queens Group of car dealerships, motorcycles dealerships, auto part stores, etc. This is the 3rd largest such group in RSA and it employs 450 people. This is where he makes his money...

So, Huntershill is a business for sure, but it is mostly Greg's passion. I truly believe that he does not do it to make money, but because he loves it. This is probably why he runs a couple of his own private conservation initiatives, such as disease-free buffalo, white rhino, lion refuge, etc. which he certainly does not make money from.

With now 3 different properties (Huntershill, Comrey and Rockland), totalling 68,000 acres, he is on the top list of private hunting property owners in RSA, and he has access to another 30,000 to 40,000 acres of his neighbors property, so his clients truly hunt 100,000+ acres. That is a lot of land... He does not want to give too much details yet, but his PHs will tell you that he is engaged in properties acquisition in Limpopo and Zimbabwe, among other places...

I like his vision for Huntershill: "of course, business size is important, but what I want to be is the best in Africa for animals quality and hunt opportunities." I must say that for my hunt, he delivered on that vision... And if anything is not to your liking, you will have an opportunity to tell Greg himself. He holds a staff meeting at the lodge virtually every morning at 7:00 am and he has dinner with the clients almost every evening. He will ask for your feedback, and if there is anything to address, which is unlikely, he will act upon it, like ... right now.

DSC00558b.JPG

Greg Harvey

But Greg (1st from left) is not alone, 80 employees make sure Huntershill runs without a hiccup, and Greg knows that his PHs are 'the rubber that meets the road' with his clients. I did not get to know them all, but Loyd is an awesome guy, Jaco (2nd from left) is a hunting machine, Grant (3rd from right) is a really talented helicopter pilot and a keen hunter, Johann (4th from right) is a true gentleman-hunter, and Jason (2nd from right), the Head PH and overall Operations Manager, is just ... awesome.

DSC00558a.JPG

I was lucky to hunt with Jason, the Head PH. He came to pick me up at the Airport in East London, and on the 3 hour drive to Huntershill it became quickly obvious that we would fit well together. He likes to hunt on foot; he is passionate about mountain game in general and Vaal Rhebok in particular (heck! he wrote his dissertation about them!!! How often do you hunt with a PhD PH !?!?!?); he is a lean and mean hill-climbing machine (I know his smaller stature and lower weight help LOL, but still!); he holds a Zimbabwe PH license in addition to his RSA license (now folks, the Zim 3 year licensing process is no picknick! Actually the toughest in the word!); he is extremely knowledgeable about game and conservation (that PhD thing again!); he has an incredible eye behind a pair of binoculars, and he just plain loves hunting ... almost as much as his dog, Rondha does.
I will gladly engage in a gun battle next time I am at Huntershill, just to make sure I hunt with him again...

DSC00719a.JPG

Overall I cannot say enough about the Huntershill Team, without forgetting Max the French Chef, Cherelene the Office Manager, and all the lodge staff. Check them out at http://www.huntershillsafaris.co.za/ or email them at info@huntershillsafaris.co.za before you book your next plains game hunt.

And if you want to have a chat with me about them or my hunt, you can PM me and I will be happy to answer any question.

Last edited:
Excellent report, and congrats on the hunt! I will have to look into Huntershill for sure

Congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing the experience with us!

Based on the date of your post. I must have arrived right as you left. I too had a phenomenal time at HH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg