SOUTH AFRICA: Huntershill 2019 From Bad To Worse!!!

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Dcarr, May 25, 2019.

1. Rick Cox

Rick Cox SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
    Thanks so much for the report. I will take HH off the list of future outfits I may consider.
    To be honest, it increasingly seems that it is difficult to get a real honest to gosh hunt in South Africa. Once your feet are on the ground, your money is paid, what recourse do you have but just keep hoping things will improve?
    It would be interesting to get a list outfits that offer hunts in SA that if not totally free range, at least feel like it.

Philip Glass, CoElkHunter and Dcarr like this.

2. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

We have had the collectors here at our place too. I've had several guys that try to offer me big money to shoot one of our breeder bucks out of a 2 or 3 acre pen. I've never understood this or would ever take a part in it for any amount of money. But I know there are some that do. To each his own!!!

Philip Glass likes this.

3. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

R
    Ickes I posted 2 other reports on here the other day if you would like to read them. Both were an excellent experience and the 2nd one I hunted at was free range. Everything about the place, the food, the family, etc was unbelievable. I'm leery about referring to either place because I sure dont want anyone to think I rep or broker for another place and that's the reason for this report. I like for others to have as good of time as I do is my only motivation for giving any report but as we all know, this is only my opinion and experience and others have different ones. I really was hoping my experience at HH was an isolated one but the replies I've received I know it wasnt unfortunately!!!

CoElkHunter and ActionBob like this.

4. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    If I may add to discussion, from theoretical standpoint:

Question for Namibian outfitter:
    Can you advise for which animals you may organize hunting out of (high) fence? What would you recommend?
    or, do you have available any of migratory animals, and at which time of year is the best to arrange hunting for them?

For south Africa, question is more complicated, due to overall presence of fences:
    How big is the size of your hunting ground for this specific species?
    Can you confirm that population of these species X, Y, Z is self sustainable, breading and wild?

>>>>>
    Highlights to answer?
    Obviously, the area size of high fencing matters.
    But we never determined what is difference between high fenced area, "pen", "cage", or "can".
    Can we determine that, in square meters, or acres, or hectars?

Ear tag?
    I am also, not sure if eartag is sinonimus for so called "put and take".

So this I can high light as a question?
    Which game animals get eartag as per local regs? Why?
    If asking question, like "can you kindly confirm that none of your game animals has an eartag", does that question sound impolite?

Can a breading animal, with ear tag, getting to old age living on large property be considered free chase?

Personally, as motivated ethical hunter going to dark continent for safari, I would never dreamed of hunting ear tagged animals. (totral turn off)
    But, for sake of good faith, I will allow a chance for good explanation for this.

Last edited: May 25, 2019

5. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

Ye sir, I have posted my other 2 experiences from other outfitters recently. Evidently there are a couple different ways HH does things and hunts. Unfortunately I was given one I didn't like and was very unexpected. I also realize having a hunting ranch myself that a lot of this is presentation. I could hunt you around our place for a day or 2 without seeing much if anything. The 3rd day turn a deer out in a pasture and miraculously while heading to the blind see him standing there. With all the excitement and me hollering shoot, shoot, most would never realize what just happened. I know of places that do this or set you in a stand and drive bucks up a narrow pen and the hunter can have his chose. All this is unethical to me but evidently some dont realize it and others just dont care.
    Anyway if I ever hunt at a new place no matter how good of reports they have, I will question them on size of enclosures if high fence. Do they buy shooter animals and bring in and if so, how long before they are hunted after releasing them. Do any of the animals have eartags that are hunted. Questions to that effect. I would do all this through email or text also to have a written response to your questions so there really isnt any reason for a misunderstanding. But even with that you are still at their mercy the same as I was.
    I have a written quote from HH. But with the animals that were changed there was no discount given altho the prices were the same across the board. I'm no expert by any means on hunting Africa but I think you would be hard pressed to find any outfitter that charges more for the more you shoot.
    I also wanted to tell you a little story. When we started our place the very first hunters here was the CEO of Dr Pepper. Him and his wife came along with a guy that videoed for us for a promo video
    We all made friends and 6 years later still are and they still hunt with us. But the 2nd year, Larry the CEO dont me that he was impressed because we paid attention to the most minor details thataltho very minor could put a smile on someone's face and just make their experience that much better. I took that as quite a compliment from a man running such a major corporation. We too ask quite a few questions from our hunters. Likes, dislikes, I actually have a cheat sheet. My wife keeps journals for the people that hunt here if they compliment on a certain homemade cookie or soup that she makes, they are almost guaranteed to get that if they return.
    I do realize some of my complaints are very minor with HH but the truth of the matter almost any outfitter can put a big animal in front of you to shoot either one way or another, but these little things add up and can become a big thing for either good or bad!!!

6. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

Great info and questions to ask!!!

7. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

I
    I would also like to say I hold no I'll will towards Huntershill and only wish them the best. I want nothing from them, maybe an explanation would be nice, but nothing else. I shot the animals I was billed for and owed them for it which I paid along for the other things in my quote.
    The only reason I posted this was to hopefully make others aware that even tho there might be lots of great reports and reviews, there can always be that one that might open your eyes a little more.
    Evidently HH has different ways and places they hunt. The 3rd day we were there and went to look at the bushman paintings on the mountain behind the lodge we seen a lot of animals up high on the mountain. When I ask my PH about them he said they hunted them too. He said they were the smart ones that stayed up high and had survived. Watching them it would have been quite a hunt I could tell and honestly one I wouldn't have enjoyed. Either trekking up that high or shooting them at long distance which isnt my cup of tea either. But I would have just as soon tried it up there and felt good about even leaving HH with a big goose egg as I did in shooting fish in a barrel.
    To me shooting a animal is secondary to the R&R while there, seeing the culture and the country, and eating authentic African food and the animals I take. But that's just the African experience I'm looking for!!!

Desperatezulu and Laeveld like this.

8. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Dcarr.............It seems many of your concerns could have been remedied by better communication....both on your part and theirs, and both before and after booking. Some of your complaints are small, others are huge deal breakers. I have never been to HH safaris, but I took my 86 year old uncle to RSA a few years ago, and the 2000 hectare (5000 acre) high fenced hunt taxed his limited abilities, and was exactly right.......for him! 4 years later he is still thrilled to recall his "safari"...Sorry your hunt did not pan out.....but would like to hear the operator's side as well. Thanks for taking the time (and the risk) of posting negative.......FWB

Hogpatrol likes this.

9. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

Bill on the other post on Facebook a guy said they should shut the place down. I told him that while in Joberg when we boarded the plane there was an older gentleman that they helped get on. He couldn't walk very well and had tremors. I thought to myself then that the hunt I just came from would probably be perfect for him and I expressed this on the other post. There is an application for about everything. I'm looking at the backend of my 50s and know there will probably be a day I'll be that older gentleman if I live that long. So who knows, in 15 or 20 years if I cant get around to hunt how I'd like and to have one last fling with my passion, I might go on a hunt like this. Wouldn't be a bad hunt for a kid or someone disabled either!!!

Philip Glass and flatwater bill like this.

10. One Day...

One Day... GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    The AH community is right to ask for some feedback from Huntershill on this. As the newly minted representative of Huntershill Safaris on AfricaHunting.com, it falls on me to do it. I will honor this responsibility. Those who have read my posts on AH for a while know that my style is to contribute objective and non conflictual posts, and that I try to stay away from judgment and opinion while remaining dispassionately analytical.

Let me start by saying that I am personally, and Huntershill Safaris are collectively dreadfully sorry that Danny Carr had a bad experience at Huntershill. This is uncommon, as 97% of the international hunters who experience Huntershill go back to it, but it obviously happened. We are truly sorry that Danny did not enjoy his stay, we apologize for it deeply, and we wish we would have had an opportunity to make it right.

As those of you know, who have followed the three different threads on Facebook in which Danny complained virulently about Huntershill Safaris, the list of Danny’s complaints is actually much longer than what he posted on AH so far. As one responder to one of Danny's threads observed, the list grew with each new post. Danny indeed complained about an incredibly filthy chalet, but Danny also complained about his bed being soiled, his bed sheets being smeared with blood, thousands of ants covering the water in his toilet bowl, ants and spiders running all over his chalet, broken glass in a nearby chalet, being bitten by a spider in his chalet, etc. Danny’s assumption has been that because his Huntershill chalet was reportedly littered with live and dead insects, this attracted spiders on his bed and this is where he was bitten. Danny complained about a canned hunt. Danny complained about the food. Danny complained about being cheated by the helicopter pilot. Danny complained about his PH hunting him in the breeding area. Danny complained that Huntershill trophy fees for Roan, Scimitar Oryx or Lechwe are more expensive than the cull fees for springbok or impala etc. at the outfitter he was at the week before coming to Huntershill. Danny complained about the dogs, the owner behavior, the driver who drove him to the airport, the lions roaring, and probably a few more things that I forget. Danny complained of being called names and being attacked. And Danny complained, and complains here, about no one addressing his grievances.

Once again, we are truly sorry that such an extraordinary succession of failings from the entire Huntershill team, from owner to driver, through house keeping staff, PH, reps, cooking Chefs, accounting staff, etc. resulted in such a poor experience, and we apologize for this poor experience, because we do not doubt that Danny had a poor experience. After all, perception is reality, and if Danny's perception is that he was wronged, it is his reality. We only wish we could have made it right...

Because this is the part that is truly baffling to the Huntershill Team, me included: during his entire time at Huntershill, from the staff unanimous report, not once did Danny express any reservation or concern. Not to his PH, not to the housekeeping staff, not to the management, not to the owner, not to other guests he met there and who responded to his complaints on Facebook. Apparently everyone who met Danny and his wife at Huntershill, staff or clients, are unanimous: Danny and his wife appeared happy and fulfilled, and never once did his PH or anyone detect any discomfort.

Danny states that as a Gentleman he chose not to make an issue of anything, but without doubting his word and without challenging him, the Huntershill Team wish they had had opportunities to address their failings:
    • The chalet is filthy? We apologize. Please let the housekeeping staff know that cleaning is needed.
    • The bed is soiled and the bed sheets are smeared with blood? We apologize. Who would sleep in a soiled bed and blood smeared bed sheets !?! Please refuse to sleep in this bed and notify management immediately.
    • Thousands of ants cover the toilet and spiders crawl all over the chalet? We apologize. Please let us know, we will deal with it immediately.
    • Sanctuary lions are roaring in the morning? We apologize. Please ask to be moved to a different chalet.
    • The PH is offering of his own accord to shoot (one cannot use the word hunt indeed) a penned bushbuck, while Huntershill owns tens of thousands of acres of top bushbuck habitat 2 hours south of Huntershill? We apologize. Please let Greg the owner know, or Johan, the Manager. We take hunters daily to great bushbuck habitat (Huntershill is too high in altitude and too cold for best bushbuck habitat).
    • The PH is hunting of his own accord in small high fenced breeding areas while Huntershill offers 188 square miles of low fenced or no fence free ranging hunting ground? We apologize. Please tell the PH what type of hunting is desired.
    • The PH is guiding of his own accord to tame breeder animals with ear tags? We apologize. Please refuse to shoot an animal that one would be ashamed to kill and say so to the PH, and if the PH is not listening, please talk to the manager or the owner.
    • "Package" discounts are expected on individual trophy fees? This may or may not be possible depending on which animal is taken out of a package and which animal it is replaced with. We apologize. Please ask the PH, or the manager, or the owner.
    • Roan, Scimitar Oryx, Lechwe trophy fees are more expensive than cull fees? We apologize. Please do not shoot animals that are too expensive. Huntershill also offers cull opportunities.
    • Danny was bitten by a spider or a tick sometime during his stay in Africa with two different outfitters? We are dreadfully sorry. Danny thinks that it happened at Huntershill? We apologize. There are ants, ticks, spiders etc. in Africa.
    • Accounting staff made a mistake on the invoice? We apologize. Please do not pay what should not be paid. Then, if I may add, please respond to the several texts, WhatsApp, emails that are sent by the manager and the financial manager who are attempting to refund the over payment.
    • There are grievances at large that need to be addressed? We apologize. Please tell us in real time and we will fix anything that does not meet expectations. And if we are told after departure that there were grievances, please answer the attempts of the managers to contact and address these grievances.
    We are so sorry that so many things went so wrong in so few days that are so outrageous (e.g. soiled bed and blood smeared bed sheets in which Danny felt that he had to sleep in order not to raise an issue) and that are so outside of Huntershill's way of conducting hunts as so many other hunters have experienced, including some who responded to Danny on Facebook and who were there immediately before, after or even during Danny's hunt (e.g. PH not offering to go to great bushbuck habitat Huntershill own 2 hours away; PH not hunting 188 square miles of free ranging low fences or no fences property; PH only guiding to tagged animals in breeding pens; providing sub standard food while Huntershill is renowned for its professionally trained Chefs serving two different venison dishes every dinner; clients having to stay in a filthy chalet poorly kept and infested with bugs while other clients receive spotless service, etc. etc. and finally not addressing post-hunt grievances although both Manager and Finances Manager have been trying repeatedly to get a response to refund the accounting error.

Huntershill is sorry Danny, and we again apologize to you. As you stated numerous times you will never go back and you will let everyone know the horrible experience you had, so that they do not make the same mistake by going to Huntershill. We understand and accept that. Nonetheless, please allow us to refund the accounting mistake that was made, billing mistake happen. We do not intend it to be an attempt to bribe your silence, you should speak, and you have, and we shall provide our perspective, but accounting mistakes must be corrected. We apologize for the billing discrepancy, there is no excuse for it, we are trying to get it refunded to you, but you need to accept the reverse charge on your card.

As to our answer to the AH community, we simply wish that we had known that so many outrageous things were happening to Danny, and we would have fixed them. I am told that Danny's report with the staff and other clients was excellent, his wife and him appeared happy, he seemed proud of sharing his trophy pictures and hunt stories of the day with other guests, he had a great relation with his PH Cody, and he never, ever, voiced any concern to anyone about anything (which Danny himself confirms) ... until he returned to the US and started blogging about his horrible experience. Danny ended up receiving a fair amount of push back on Facebook over the last month or so, and the complaints have now moved to AH...

Like every other outfitters, Huntershill attempt, and generally succeed in providing experiences of a lifetime, often life-changing experiences, and their PH and staffs are routinely going out of their way to please their customers, who routinely become their friends. We are sorry that we apparently failed you Danny. I sometimes wish that you would have been less of a Gentleman at Huntershill, as you proved perfectly capable of showing in your Facebook threads, and that you would have told them simply your concerns, which could have been instantly verified and addressed...

Welcome nonetheless to AH Danny, I see that you just joined the community, likely as a result of me indicating in your Facebook threads that I represent Huntershill on AH and that there are numerous positive reviews of Huntershill on AH, including from folks who were there in camp with you and who apparently had a completely different experience. You likely felt that you needed to join to correct the record, and you are welcome to it. We again apologize for your horrible experience.

Danny's Huntershill Roan as posted on his Facebook thread.
    roan.jpg

Danny's Huntershill Scimitar Oryx as posted on his Facebook thread.
    oryx.jpg

Danny's Huntershill Lechwe as posted on his Facebook thread.
    lechwe.jpg

Danny's Huntershill Red Haterbeest as posted on his Facebook thread.
    red.jpg

I will conclude this post, as I did on Facebook by urging anyone, in any hunting camp, anywhere, any time, to tell their PH, the staff and the management, in real time, politely of course but candidly, exactly what they like and dislike in their on-going hunt, and to please attempt to refrain from making contradictory asks, such as for example: wanting a wilderness hunt while physical limitations prevent from walking more than 5 minutes away from the truck; wanting a fair chase hunt while also asking for a guaranteed shot at a trophy animal; wanting an African bush experience, while not tolerating a few ants here or there, dogs interacting, lions roaring, etc.; wanting top expensive trophies like Roan, but asking for cull prices and discounts; etc. Any outfitter or PH I have met in Africa have always tried to bend any possible way to please their clients, but their skills are in hunting, not always psychology, and lack of communication or contradictory asks may occasionally lead them in misunderstanding a client's true ask. If it seems that the PH misunderstands what the client truly wants, please Clients, tell him :) If anything in camp is wrong, please Clients, tell the staff :)

Folks interested in other AH report on Huntershill will find some at:
    https://www.africahunting.com/threa...faris-august-2018-plains-game-paradise.45017/
    https://www.africahunting.com/threa...n-to-the-east-cape-huntershill-safaris.42277/
    https://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-huntershill-safaris-10-days-of-awesome.31178/
    https://www.africahunting.com/threa...if-my-wife-kids-can-do-it-so-can-yours.23138/
    https://www.africahunting.com/threa...h-huntershill-safaris-in-the-east-cape.48626/
    https://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-back-from-the-east-cape.50657/
    https://www.africahunting.com/threa...aris-april-may-2019-plains-game-safari.50578/

PS: people interested in verifying Huntershill attempts to contact Danny repeatedly as soon as he started voicing complaints after he left Huntershill will find screen shots of texts, WhatsApp, emails on the Facebook threads.

Last edited: May 25, 2019

11. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    One Day............thanks for the response. Good to hear both sides of any issue...................FWB

BWH, Therack and Royal27 like this.

12. BnC 04

BnC 04 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
    Very well executed response One Day. One can only try to make things right ONLY if made aware of deficiencies. Hard to do so after the fact. Looks like some great animals were taken on the trip!

13. Albert GRANT

Albert GRANT AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Personally I find it a little less well executed and a bit condescending to apologize after every statement as well as numerous times through out the rest of the post. After the 3rd or 4th time, we get it. Also taking the subtle personal shots at the end was unnecessary and unprofessional. It does nothing to help or further Huntershill's cause. That being said, @One Day...
    Can you clarify a few things.
    1. Were the "dog interactions" as you call them, indeed fights and if so was it during meals, with dogs under guests feet? No one I know would allow dogs around the dining tables, especially with clients/guests present and surely would get rid of them if they growled even once.
    2. Do you or do you not allow shooting out if breeding pens for any reason?
    3. Do you inform clients prior to leaving for the day what type of area you are planning on hunting them on or is it business as usual to wait for the client to voice issue with the type of hunting being done?
    4. Is there any inspection process to confirm lodging meets expectations before bringing clients in?
    5. Who approves the billing before the client settles up? Seems there should be some oversight on this, given the amount of money the hunts cost, to make sure things are right before charges are made

Personally this seems to be a few small issues that were then blown out of proportion later, perhaps in an attempt to gain something in the long run. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've seen of both sides at this point, it seems Huntershill is at minor fault of a few things they need to improve upon, and the rest is on the hunter, whether for not bringing it up at the time, buyer's remorse after the fact, or personal issues, etc.
    That being said, the fact they have non-African species, incredibly large numbers of hunters in one area, and high pricing is enough to put me off. Find it hard to believe you can get a true African experience with that personal touch so many of us find while there, in an outfit that big. It probably is perfect for a large number of well off trophy shooters in this world, but not for me. They have found their target clientele and been successful, so good on them for that, just try harder to make sure that is indeed the type of client you are bringing in before hand would be my suggestion.

14. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Pascal, there is a potential future problem for HH that you may want to head off. (I tried in the thread noted below.)
    An AH member headed to HH @Micheal Dean appears to perceive all the species are on one property and there are NO TWO HOUR DRIVES to other properties involved. I can only imagine how pissed off this guy will be if his basis of choosing his Outfitter is blown to pieces on his first two hour drive to get a good Bushbuck.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/how-do-did-you-pick-your-hunting-outfitter.50637/page-2

Albert GRANT likes this.

15. Albert GRANT

Albert GRANT AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. Make sure you know what your hunter expects and that you can deliver before having them over and surprising them with something other than what was the expectation

16. dory

dory AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand . Namibia .
    Works good for honest outfitters not so good with devious ones . And it would suck to only find out things are not what they seem when you finally cross the big pond for you trip of a lifetime ! Especially when some reports on here are hunts on penned farms and they make them sound like full on wilderness hunts . 4 or 5 trophies in one day ???
    Yea right , pull the other one .
    What is the answer , how do we believe what we read . I want a full free range hunt in a couple of years from now and im starting to doubt some of the reports in here after reading this report . I mean huntershill sounded like the real deal , even there web page looked great , I would have been totally sucked in .
    Cheers Dory

17. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

Let me first say Pascal, or One Day, whatever you want to be called. Once again as on Facebook you have taken and twisted and turned this trying to make it look bad on me. I hope some of the people on here will go back and read the Facebook threads to check your accuracy whether it be by mistake or intentionally to try and better your position. But let me address these one by one.

1) The growing list of complaints. After you started commenting on my post time after time after time defending Huntershill I did voice more and more of the problems we occurred. Why not. If they were going to be addressed, why not address them all. Did you once ever think this criticism was to help Huntershill? It sure wasnt helping me because I had already lived it.

2) I never once compared trophies to culls. I posted the invoice from the other place as just a comparison because you and the other doubters kept telling that Huntershill had cheap or lowest prices. If you go back and look at the invoice I posted there are 6 animals I believe on there that say "trophee" beside them. I believe that translates to trophy in English. If you compare them to Huntershill invoice even with the discounts on the 3 animals the other place was still cheaper.....for trophies.

3) It was talked about early on about the broken glass in the other chalet. The guys that told about it you knew them you said. As I stated then and again on here that I am positive you inquired into this with them and found out either they were lying to us or I was telling the truth. But either way it was discussed between them and us and this was due to us talking about the condition of our chalet, or complaining. So there is proof that we did speak about the conditions with other hunters that you said we didnt.

4) You need to screenshot where I ever said there were spiders and ants running all over our room or chalet and please post it. I reported the ants were on the edge of the top of the tub and in the stool. I also believe I wrote of seeing A, which is only one, spider in the tub but nothing close to your exaggerated comment.

5) Again in your exaggeration of the truth you reported me telling of blood smears on the linen and soiled sheets. I believe the exact thing I said was that I seen some blood spots on the linen. Now instead of complaining or throwing a fit, since I'm around animals and blood all the time I realize about blood stains and how hard they are to get out especially after something has been laundered. So I didnt actually know if the spots which were small but noticeable, could have been stains or fresh. I believe when I spoke of this it was I stated after all the other things that was wrong in that room that it wouldn't have surprised me if the sheets hadn't been changed in hindsight.
    Also I did talk about the dead bugs on top of the canopy and how the light fixtures were full of dead bugs. It was wrong of me not knowing exactly where the spider bite occurred to suggest it happened in our bed and I think I even said it could have gotten in my clothes and bit me when I put them on. I'm pretty sure I apologized on the other thread for presuming this. But I also said that with colder weather moving in I know from our place here that spiders like to move inside and with all the bugs dead and alive in the chalet there was a pretty good chance it occurred in the room or would be more logical especially since the timeline of what the doctor said and we read of the onset of symptoms of a spider bite there was no doubt it occurred at Huntershill. You also spoke in your response that it might have been a tick bite but you know I reported on that post that the tick panel came back negative so it was a spider, no doubt. But feel free to contact the lab and argue their report with them.

6) You said I started blogging when I got home. Another inaccuracy. I posted my first report while setting in the airport in East London on April 27th waiting on our plane to Joberg. And yes after my wife and myself being dumped out at the front door of the airport I had had enough. And yes Johan posted he tried to get ahold of me whether it was by text or this Whatsup you speak of that I dont have a clue what is and it was that day I first posted. But either way my phone doesn't work in Africa except for the internet if WIFI is available. And like you, Johan commented on the thread Monday night he had contacted me and my grievances were being addressed when he hadnt then or never has contacted me. Now the next morning at 5:30 AM on Tuesday the 30th Jason messaged me on Facebook and ask for my phone number which Huntershill has had all the time. But being sick all night from the spider bite and running a fever I replied it was 5:30 in the morning and what did he want? Never heard back from anyone till around May 6th and recieved a email saying they found they had overcharged me $1320 that I tried to explain when I was there on April 26th. Now forgive me for not dropping everything and getting right back to them. I was still very ill from the spider bite and had a trip I left for on May 6th. But as most on here seen I haven't complained about this being 3 weeks ago but only it took the accounting about 10 days to figure it out. As I posted if it wasnt so commercialized it could have been resolved in the office within a matter of minutes between me and the owner if he was hands on which he isnt. The 2 times I've had discrepancies over the bill in all the hunts I've done is at these commercialized places and I was right both times and have sworn off them.

7) The dogs in the facility is a thing within itself. It was funny the 2nd night we were there that the PHs kept running the dogs of the furniture in the bar because they said one of the guests complained which I thought was funny. Who would complain about a dog lying on a chair but wouldn't care if several of them were at your feet begging while you were trying to eat. Either way what I see is that it isnt about the people paying for the hunt as much as it is what the owner and staff wants. Complete opposite of what we do here at our place or any other place I've ever hunted.

8) Back to me not complaining to the management, staff, owner, or any of the other guests would it not be feasible to think that me not shooting anything the afternoon of the 2nd day or the entire 3rd day that it was a complaint within itself. I had other animals on my list like the golden wildebeest I had gotten a price on. When we seen them and I was ask I turned it down. When we went up on the mountain behind the lodge the afternoon of the 3rd day we seen a beautiful golden blesbuck on our way in. Never had seen one of them before and would have loved to HUNTED one. But since this one ran and messed around beside us about 50 yards away and stayed beside us like that for several hundred yards. I couldn't bring myself to shoot that unknowing animal. He was there and did the same thing when we came back through that same area. I again turned him down.

9) When we was on the mountain that 3rd day Cody, my PH and us got to talking about new PHs because we was aware of the big group coming in. He told us that when a new PH starts he is given a list of animals, a tracker, and a client and is expected to fill his list. I said that must be really hard. He said the other guides were pretty good and let them hunt the easy areas which I took to be the breeding enclosures but I didnt really know since you was the one that actually confirmed i was hunted in. But how would you or anyone like to get this first time PH.
    You also made a reference to physical condition and again since you dont know me it is just another one of your assumptions. I hunted in the mountains in New Zealand a few weeks before we went to Africa. The first place i hunted before Huntershill I hunted in the mountains there again without any trouble. My PH ask me if i had a problem walking. I told him no but would tell him if i was. You said i should have done this and should have done that but isnt it actually Huntershill that is conducting the hunt and should be asking the hunters what they are comfortable with? I know we do here.

10) You made reference to the helicopter ride. I was told by another hunter and the staff it was $450 an hour. As I said I knew it was only around 20 minutes. When they figured out it wasnt charged I heard one say "point 25" and another say 25 which he might have said point also but I didnt honestly hear it. But when we went in the office I was charged .5 of an hour and was charged $250. Now as we all know that pretty minor and petty for minutes less and $25 more than I was told but after walking out of that same office the night before with what I felt was around a $2,000 overcharge and Huntershill admitting of the $1320 overcharge, yes this was just another nail in the coffin so to speak. All those little things add up to a big thing when its compounded at literally every turn.

But in summarizing, most if not all these things are easily checked on the other thread. But they are just more discrepancies, inaccuracies, and basically the cover ups of Huntershill and there reps. As I told you Pascal and others ask why you and the others were trying so hard to discredit me. You finally realized how big of an ass you made of yourself and Huntershill. Again you are the one responding to this and wasnt there and relaying second hand information. You said I joined this to complain but if you look back a few days I gave reports on the other 2 places I've hunted at that I have no affiliation with what so ever and in this report never mentioned either one time I dont think and if I did it was purely by mistake. As I stated earlier I welcomed Huntershill explanation but only wished it would have been by someone that was actually there and had knowledge of my hunt first hand.
    You know Pascal as you stated many times I should have complained. You know it's funny that when we left nobody, not one soul ask if we planned on returning. I think it was evident because I heard the staff asking others. We ask people here or at least tell them we hope they had a good enough time and hunt that they'd like to come back. But with us, nothing. I think this speaks for itself!!!!

18. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    A lot of interesting perspectives :A Popcorn:.

Hogpatrol and Royal27 like this.

19. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

To boil this down in a nutshell Pascal, is it my or any of the hunters responsibility to make sure Huntershill produces the hunt they advertise? The 188 miles of low fence that you boast and post constantly about, that is supposed to be low fence and ethical that is in the brochure and website. If they are going to do canned hunts I think we would all agree, except maybe you and the other reps and brokers, that Huntershill should advertise it that way which as we all know they'd probably not sell many that way. Do you think a guy would pay 45K to shoot a rhino and go back and tell his friends the animal wasnt wild or it was shot in a pen or take the risk of them looking the place up? Or does Huntershill work on the assumption that what the hunters dont know wont hurt them....unless every now and then one figures it out and then, oh well, let's try and discredit him!!!

20. Dcarr

Dcarr AH Senior Member

Albert, let me clarify, I have never wanted nor ask for anything from Huntershill. They offered me a 1320 dollar refund for not applying my deposit and charging for my wife which they shouldn't have and I gave them my info for that refund because it was part of the deal. The other discounts that weren't applied I'm not arguing over. I paid for my education. As far as buyers remorse, shooting bought and transplanted breeder animals isnt what they advertised but I did shoot them and that's why I paid my bill.
    As far as my complaints, as I ask, are they complaints or more like making them aware. That place is a revolving door of hunters and common sense would tell you that the bigger something gets the more mistakes that are made usually.
    As I just ask the responder, is it my fault Huntershill didnt provide what they advertise or is it their fault for misrepresenting the hunt they gave me. I've read your posts and you seem to me as a to the point intelligent man. Do you honestly think we would be having any of this discussion if they gave me the hunt they advertise. We all know that nothing is perfect. I gave 2 other reports on AH and did not criticize either place one bit. Could I have, probably, but when it is as advertised or even better that seems to override any small things. But when it isnt as advertised and the big thing is still a turd no matter how you try and sugar coat it, wouldn't all those small things just keep adding to the it and instead of just having a big turd it has become a pile.
    But anyway it is what it is. I have a friend going to Huntershill and if they address all this stuff whether little or big and he has a good hunt it will have been worth all the ridicule I have encountered from this. I pray for the best for him because he told me this was his last trip!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2019