zippy21

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PF; DU; NRA; SCI
I just wrapped up my hunt with Limcroma. The process, starting with booking through Dan Leahy to the completion of my hunt, could not have gone smoother. From logistics, lodging, meals, and of course the actual hunt, everything far exceeded our expectations. The trophies can speak for themselves, but what they do not show is all of the professionalism and care that Dan Leahy and the Limcroma staff take with each client.

My family and I began researching our first trip to Africa about four years back. We got serious after attending an SCI convention about two years ago, and finally decided to commit. We looked for an outfitter that could equally accommodate and entertain my non-hunting wife and two teenage children and myself with a pretty aggressive trophy list. We explored several outfitters and lodge proposals before deciding to book with Limcroma.

In total, we booked a 16-day vacation to Africa. We began our adventure spending 8 amazing days at the Sable Valley Lodge property. The online pictures and videos really do not convey the luxury and atmosphere of the property. My wife and I had our own chalet while our teenagers had their own private chalet; both were outfitted with an incredible en-suite bath.
Our trip began with a brief stay at the Afton Guest house located right by the JNB airport. The guest house was clean and quaint. We appreciated being met right at the airport by the Afton House representative, and we arrived at the Guest House less than 15 minutes later.

We woke the next morning refreshed, and had a nice full service breakfast prior pick-up by our guide. On the way to the Limcroma lodge we chose to stop off at the Monkey Sanctuary in Hartebeespoortdam. It was a nice break in the drive and incredible to be able to walk around with the different types of primates wandering “free” all around us. From there, our guide took us for lunch at the Upper Deck Restaurant, where we had a good meal before continuing travel to the Limcroma lodge.

As we transferred from our guide/driver to Jan (pronounced “YON”), my PH for the coming days, we knew we were in for a great week. He was outgoing and as we finished up the last part of our travel to the lodge, he provided us with an overview of the area, culture, and it history. He was extremely patient as all of us bombarded him with questions but he was also gracious and polite when responding with information. We pulled up to camp and our breath was taken away as we began to see the different plains game animals and the beauty of the property. We were warmly greeted by the camp manager Marselle, and all the housekeeping and cooking staff.

As I woke up the first morning to have a hearty breakfast, I reviewed the hunting plan for the day with Jan. He was extremely professional and made me feel so comfortable with what to expect. I then met Jennings, his tracker, and Jan’s tracking dog, Selous; a Jack Russell Terrier. I could go into so much detail about the actual hunt, but to be brief, I will share that while hunting my six animals, we encountered just about every situation I have ever seen or read about when researching this trip. We spent hours glassing from Jan’s vehicle, stalking potential game on foot, shooting from sticks, off Jan’s shoulder, sitting, standing, and even offhand. In every case, Jan was RELENTLESS for finding and getting me in a comfortable range for only quality old trophies with plenty of character. Unfortunately, and at no fault of Jan, my shooting was not always the best. Fortunately, Jan and my trackers Jennings and Frans were world class and were not going to rest until we got back on the wounded animals, allowing me to take the animals quickly. When it comes to the hunting it was truly beyond expectations in every way.

While I was off hunting, my wife and children were assigned an amazing PH, Hardus, to take them around to many non-hunting activities. He arranged for game drives, river game viewing, sitting in a blind, etc. They visited several game parks, along with going curio shopping and a brief visit to the spa for my wife and daughter (Hardus and my son were real troopers, and spent the time relaxing while the ladies had their treatments at the Bushwa Private Game Lodge spa). Hardus really helped make this a great trip; he not only kept my family entertained, but was so personable. He developed a real friendship with my family and was able to relate to all of them.

On most days when I was back at the lodge over lunch for siesta my family was able to join me and it was so gratifying to hear how excited they were for whatever adventure Hardus guided them on that morning. We were always able to have dinner together, which gave me the opportunity to share stories of my day with them, and learn about their adventures too, while we enjoyed time relaxing by the fire before and after dinner. Before I discuss the non -hunting parts of our trip, I would be remisce if I did not also call out Marselle, her infectious smile, and the amazing meals that she cooked for our family. Having a wife that typically is not a fan of “game meat” and two picky teenagers, I was really worried about what they would eat. But, I worried for nothing. Marselle not only makes the most delicious meals with the game taken on at the lodge, but prepared the meat in a way that my kids and wife were often asking for seconds. She even took requests, thrilling my son by making kudu spaghetti for one meal, and gemsbok stroganoff for another. She even noticed that my son was not a fan of cheese, and would make cheese-free options for him.

It was bittersweet as we came to the end of our stay at Limcroma, even though we were excited for our next adventure. I was ecstatic to hear my wife say to me on our last night there, “we will be back to Limcroma for a future vacation.” We departed Limcroma and Hardus drove us all the way to JNB. He did not merely drop us off at the departure gate. Instead, he helped us with our luggage, saw to it that we got checked in, and even ensured we got through security before he finally departed. “What amazing service” my wife and I both commented. We departed JNB and headed down to Cape Town for the 2nd leg of the trip; all arranged for us by Custom Travel, by way of Dan Leahy and the Limcroma staff.

When we arrived in Cape Town we were met by our energetic driver and tour guide, Sarah. She made our three days in the cape, quite literally turn key. We visited Table Mountain, Cape Horn, the penguin colony at Boulders Beach, and Robben Island. We stayed at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront on the wharf and had a lovely time of sightseeing and learning about the history of South Africa. Sarah was a true professional and took such care to ensure we had an extraordinary time in the Cape. We then departed Cape Town and headed to Zambia. We spent 3 days at the extremely luxurious Royal Livingstone Hotel, which is within walking distance of Victoria Falls (less than 15 minutes). Dan Leahy and the Limcroma staff helped arrange a jammed-packed itinerary for us in Zambia. We began our trip with a personally guided walking tour of the falls. Over the next few days we zip-lined over the nearby gorge, did a “walk with lions” tour, a helicopter flight over the falls, a sunset cruise on the African Queen (we highly recommend, just for a nice relaxing evening), and finished our trip off with a night game drive and dinner in the bush in Zimbabwe.

IMG_8142.JPG
IMG_8149.JPG
IMG_8164.JPG
IMG_8171.JPG
IMG_8180.JPG
IMG_8194.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0114.JPG
DSC_0138.JPG
DSC_0267.JPG
DSC_0330.JPG
DSC_0424.JPG
DSC_0534.JPG
DSC_0584.JPG
DSC_0618.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_7088.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 530
  • DSC_7090.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 530
  • DSC_7093.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 492
  • DSC_7097.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 517
  • DSC_7111.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 450
  • DSC_7120.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 520
  • DSC_7146.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 413
  • DSC_7225.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 408
  • DSC_7365.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 517
  • DSC_7577.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 479
  • DSC_7588.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 503
  • DSC_7774.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 456
  • DSC_7803.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 364
  • DSC_7847.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 504
  • DSC_7940.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 452
  • DSC_8072.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 404
  • DSC_8129.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 446
  • DSC_8186.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 440
  • DSC_8236.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 395
  • DSC_8275.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 385
  • DSC_8317.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 373
  • DSC_8352.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 405
  • DSC_8443.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 439
  • DSC_8506.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 380
  • DSC_8537.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 405
  • DSC_8644.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 430
  • DSC_8648.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 450
  • DSC_8658.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 459
  • DSC_8769.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 448
  • DSC_8775.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 390
  • DSC_8876.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 378
  • DSC_8950.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 477
  • DSC_8957.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 449
  • DSC_8958.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 391
  • DSC_8989.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 354
  • DSC_9017.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 459
  • DSC_9042.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 409
  • DSC_9097.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 424
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your hunt! Looks like you had a great time post hunt as well, thanks for sharing!

You took some great trophies there sir! What an incredible trip overall! I took the wife and daughter to Limcroma a few years back for a similar hunting/family safari, but I did not get "permission" to have the impressive trophy list that you did.... We had an amazing time there as well. First-class operation all the way. We had an incredible PH by the name of Kobus. We still keep in touch on social media. Great bunch of folks.

I definitely need to add a visit to Vic Falls into our next trip over. When you get a chance, I would love to hear some more details of your hunts and stalks.(y)

You had a great trip sir! I hope you and the family plant the next trip quickly!

Glad you had such a great trip. Very nice report and pictures to.

Congrats on a great trip. It is a lot of fun to take the family with you on something like this. They'll remember it a long time. Nice trophies. Bruce

I just wrapped up my hunt with Limcroma. The process, starting with booking through Dan Leahy to the completion of my hunt, could not have gone smoother. From logistics, lodging, meals, and of course the actual hunt, everything far exceeded our expectations. The trophies can speak for themselves, but what they do not show is all of the professionalism and care that Dan Leahy and the Limcroma staff take with each client.

zippy21,

It was my absolute pleasure working with you and your family in putting this trip together! Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put together such a wonderful report and for posting those incredible photographs. Some of those shots are truly incredible! We should have hired you to shoot the website pics for the new lodge.... (y)

What an incredible trip! Amazing photo's, and some very nice trophies. I have heard great things about Limcroma, and the awesome staff, and services.!

What an incredible trip you and your family must have had! It brings back great memories from my own Limcroma trip. We had so much fum in camp with all of the PHs Jan, Aart, Guillaume, Henno, and Riaan. They had us laughing the whole trip. Your photos are awesome! When we get the chance to make it back over, I also want to add Victoria Falls to our plans. Thanks for the great report zippy21!

I also wanted to mention that during their safari with Limcroma the "zippy21 family" namely zippy's son took on and delivered and incredible gesture of generosity that they were likely too modest to post in their report. However, it was a substantial gesture that deserves both recognition and thanks!

Many months prior to their safari, zippy21's son planned a well-coordinated, large scale, scout project to collect and personally deliver donated goods to the local population of school-aged children who reside and attend the Segkweng Intermediate School near the Limcroma camp. All in all, I believe that over 20 huge duffel bags of goods and supplies were collected. At their own trouble and expense, the family flew these extra bags to Africa to be donated to the local community where items like this truly make a difference and are greatly appreciated by the native people. This is a perfect example of both the hunters and the safari industry making a real difference each and every day by not only providing employment, and food, but by also facilitating much needed donations like this to these local communities.

This was, by far, the largest single donation we have ever had from guests hunting with us. I am proud that Limcroma was able to share in a small part of this endeavor, and I want to offer my personal thanks to the zippy21 family for such a generous, selfless effort. Hopefully, I can convince them to share photos of the event, and some more details of the project with the forum??

:A Bravo:

Congrats on a great trip! But why is titled Bowhunting with Limcroma?

Congrats on a great trip! But why is titled Bowhunting with Limcroma?

Lol... C'mon Jeff, you know that there are only two kinds of hunters... Those that bow hunt and those that wish they did... Subliminally, zippy21 yearns to be a bow hunter. We will make one out of him yet! ;)

I got Jerome on it to fix the title. (y)

Congrats on an outstanding hunt. Also, bravo to your son and his scout troop! I'm always impressed when young kids are able to see beyond themselves and do great things to help others.

I also wanted to mention that during their safari with Limcroma the "zippy21 family" namely zippy's son took on and delivered and incredible gesture of generosity that they were likely too modest to post in their report. However, it was a substantial gesture that deserves both recognition and thanks!

Many months prior to their safari, zippy21's son planned a well-coordinated, large scale, scout project to collect and personally deliver donated goods to the local population of school-aged children who reside and attend the Segkweng Intermediate School near the Limcroma camp. All in all, I believe that over 20 huge duffel bags of goods and supplies were collected. At their own trouble and expense, the family flew these extra bags to Africa to be donated to the local community where items like this truly make a difference and are greatly appreciated by the native people. This is a perfect example of both the hunters and the safari industry making a real difference each and every day by not only providing employment, and food, but by also facilitating much needed donations like this to these local communities.

This was, by far, the largest single donation we have ever had from guests hunting with us. I am proud that Limcroma was able to share in a small part of this endeavor, and I want to offer my personal thanks to the zippy21 family for such a generous, selfless effort. Hopefully, I can convince them to share photos of the event, and some more details of the project with the forum??

:A Bravo:
Dan, Thank you for the kind sentiments. Attached our some pictures from the SEKGWENG INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL visit.

DSC_7431.JPG
DSC_7437.JPG
DSC_7446.JPG
DSC_7450.JPG
DSC_7461.JPG
DSC_7465 (1).JPG
DSC_7477.JPG
DSC_7498.JPG
DSC_7501.JPG
DSC_7508.JPG
DSC_7514.JPG
DSC_7520.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_7431.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 310
  • DSC_7437.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 379
  • DSC_7446.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 354
  • DSC_7450.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 304
  • DSC_7461.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 339
  • DSC_7465.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 286
  • DSC_7477.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 317
  • DSC_7498.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 389
  • DSC_7501.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 354
  • DSC_7508.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 370
  • DSC_7514.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 296
  • DSC_7520.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 305
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats for a great trip.

That donation was a very nice touch.

Wow! Thanks for such a great post. Fantastic trophies and beautiful photos all around. The visit and donation to the school was very inspiring. I think that is something everyone traveling to Africa should experience. You should be very proud of your son. It looks like you are raising him up right.

We had an amazing safari ourselves a couple of years back with the Limcroma crew. Your report brings back some great memories for our family. I can't wait for the day we can go back.

Congrats, some great trophies hunted!

What an Awesome first adventure, beautiful photos , Trophies. thanks for sharing.
And yes Dan is great to work with. Forrest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg