SOUTH AFRICA: Hippopotamus Hunt With Pawprint Safaris 2017

Charlie, Wayne is right on frontal. Frontal isn't as hard as you thinking, even a shot from the rear does the trick. Enjoy the hunt.

Good luck Charlie! I'm sure you and Pieter are going to have a blast! What bullets are you throwing out of the 375?

We are having rain like I cannot recall, more than 100 mm last night, the rivers are full and flowing strong. Looking forward Charlie!

Good luck Charlie! I'm sure you and Pieter are going to have a blast! What bullets are you throwing out of the 375?

Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claws

CAustin, leave some of those Sunset to Sunrise rascals for my September hunt!
Best of luck and we'll be anxiously waiting for your report!

Sounds like a great trip Charlie! Good luck and looking forward to reading the report!

Charlie, there are applicable torque specs for mounting scope bases and rings. I believe Art has a "Fat Wrench" and can help you in this regard. What are "normal" distances for shots on Hippo? Have you tried other suitable ammo? The reason I'm asking, is that your rifle may not "like" the TBBCs as well as it does some others. On a current post by "Johnnyblues" (Comparing Swift A Frames to Northfork Bullets) that there is a company called Superior Ammo that will provide sample packs of different loads and bullets. While reading his post I thought of you. Using their services, a non-reloader can optimize the accuracy of their rifles at a minimal cost. I think it would be worth your while to check it out.

@Shootist43 I was using other Federal ammo yesterday just to get the rifle sighted in. I hope to have Art go to the range with me and bring his spotting scope! I will also take a larger target with me next time so that I don't waste a bunch of ammo getting dialed in!

is that your rifle may not "like"

Interesting that you mentioned this. I was having a conversation just yesterday at work about how my partner's 17HMR will only group with ballistic tip ammo, but his buddy's will only group with hollow point. I'm yet to have a finicky rifle myself, but IF I manage to get a hunt lined up for next year I'm going to do some practice with my 375 Ruger just to be sure!

IMG_2128.PNG
One way to fix those rifle troubles Charlie..... shoot one of these

Best of luck bud.

View attachment 173393 One way to fix those rifle troubles Charlie..... shoot one of these

Best of luck bud.
Jody my friend I can't fling sticks! However, if you ever decide to hit a "river horse" with a pointed stick I will be happy to back you up with my 375 or 416

Sounds like a ton of fun Charlie! Have a good time and I know we'll all look forward to the report when you get home. Especially the shot placement you end up taking!

Good luck Charlie, I leave August 18 th...Might be fun to compare notes once I m back! funny you mention the rings coming loose, I had the
same problem when I first bought my Guide rifle in 375 Ruger

Charlie, may I suggest

animal-chair-collection-hippo-sofa-maximo-riera-3_zpszedvs9fo.jpg

Anyway, wish you the best :D Cheers:

Attachments

• animal-chair-collection-hippo-sofa-maximo-riera-3_zpszedvs9fo.jpg
    animal-chair-collection-hippo-sofa-maximo-riera-3_zpszedvs9fo.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm dreaming of this couch myself!

@Nyati I like that couch but it would take years to get it back from Africa and cost a hell of a lot. I think I will just add a couple of animals to my hunt.

By the way this makes my 7500th post on AH!

@Nyati I like that couch but it would take years to get it back from Africa and cost a hell of a lot. I think I will just add a couple of animals to my hunt.

By the way this makes my 7500th post on AH!
7500? Welcome to the forums. We're glad to have you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross