SOUTH AFRICA: Heading Off On My First Safari!

@huntermn15 isn't there more to this hunt report?
Dave,

Thank you for calling me out! Between work, travel for work, family, and the holiday season, I just haven't had time. I haven't spent anytime on here in months. I will finish this report in the next day or two and get on with the lioness hunt report in a new thread right after Christmas.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Stay Safe and Be Well.

Mike

Sorry for leaving everyone hanging, I will complete this in the next day or two.

Merry Christmas everyone!

September 18th 2015

The morning hunt was spent looking for another steenbok or warthog. We still hunted most of the morning, locating a few smallish steenbok and warthogs.

The afternoon hunt was spent overlooking a waterhole in hope that a shooter warthog would show. Not really my favorite way to spend an afternoon, but when in Rome…. No shooters showed, but we did have a large herd of zebra come in to drink and it was all I could do not to end up with #2.

September 19th 2015

Since I was almost over spent and still had days to hunt, I called for a day off. It was off to Lephalale to watch the Rugby World Cup. South Africa was playing Japan and I figured it would be like watching Monday Night Football South African style! When my PH heard my plan, he was thrilled (you could see it all over his face). He decided we would take his personal vehicle and do a little sightseeing along the way. Another hunter in camp had finished early, so I suggested he come along. He said yes and we had a great day! As most know, South Africa lost to Japan in a huge upset, needless to say, it was like being around a bunch of Eagles fans (I’m not an Eagles fan) after a loss.

September 20th 2015

The day was spent persuing Duiker and Warthog to no avail. We saw plenty of game and it was hard to stay off the trigger, but a man’s got to do what a man’s got to do.

September 21st 2015

The morning started out looking for Duiker and switched gears quite fast. While driving one of the roads, Sarel spotted some tracks that made him stop the vehicle. After Sarel had a short conversation with Samuel we were off the truck trying to decipher the tracks. Within a minute, Sarel said that it appeared that 3 cheetahs had gotten through the fence and were probably still on the 6000 acre property. We followed the tracks as they crossed the road and within minutes found a kudu calf that had been killed and partially eaten by them. A call was made to the land owner and we immediately began blocking all of the warthog holes along the fence. The plan was to try and get the conservation department to dart and transport the cheetah to a better location. The biggest concern was that a neighboring property had golden wildebeest on it and evidently, their worth a small fortune. So it was exciting to be part of this exercise and it saved me money.

cheetah Kill.jpg

September 22nd 2015

My last day hunting for plains game in Africa. It’s amazing how you can be planning your next trip back and the rifle isn’t even in the case yet! Again the day was spent looking for another monster warthog. One was seen late in the afternoon but offered no shot. It would have to wait until the next safari.

I had a fantastic time hunting with Cruiser Safaris and would hunt with them again in a heartbeat. The staff was always accommodating and I feel I truly made some friends while I was there.

September 23rd 2015

After a sad bit of goodbyes, the day was spent traveling first to Bullseye Taxidermy to drop of all of my trophies and then it was on to the Afton where I would spend the night before being picked up by Loodt of Tootabi Hunting Safaris for my Lioness hunt, but that’s another report (to be started shortly in a new thread).

Congrats on a great first hunt... I have used Bullseye for MANY of my trophies and ALWAYS had excellent service. Craig is a master craftsman and takes huge pride in his deliveries.
You will not be sorry on your choice of taxidermist.

Thank you for a great report and all the positive things you write about our industry in the RSA we are privileged to host hunters like you on our continent . I envy some of those great trophies.

Wow congrats on an excellent trip and some fantastic animals. Thank you for sharing with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you