SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With South Africa Outfitter Lloyd Safaris?

Joe I

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
My son and I have an upcoming safari schedule with Lloyd Safaris. It appears that they are a good firm from their website and they have been very responsive to my questions. I was just wondering if anyone knows of them or about them. Thanks.

Welcome to AH.
Hope someone can help you out.

Welcome to AH Joe.

I do not think i have heard of them...

I do hope you checked some reference out before booking your trip...

Looking at their web site, it appears that they are a big operation.

Price list has not been updated since 2011...

Joe I also hope you vetted those guys out before booking the hunt. If you have not put a deposit down yet I would ask for 3-4 references that you can call a speak with. As you talk to those people ask how they booked their hunt and who they talked with.
A website not updated since 2011 would be a Red Flag for me but not necessarily a deal breaker!

Welcome to AH Joe. I am not familiar with them but do let us know...

Welcome to AH,

Wishing you all the best on your planning and either way, we looking forward to a report on how your trip went.

All the best
Jono

Joe I also hope you vetted those guys out before booking the hunt. If you have not put a deposit down yet I would ask for 3-4 references that you can call a speak with. As you talk to those people ask how they booked their hunt and who they talked with.
A website not updated since 2011 would be a Red Flag for me but not necessarily a deal breaker!
They were an exhibitor at a local SCI event and I am confident they are a good operation. I have put down a minimal deposit and my trip is in 6 weeks so I am getting a little anxious and was looking to see if anyone had hunted with them. Thanks.

Welcome to AH and the world of Packing for Africa @Joe I

We hope you have a wonderful time in Africa sir, and definitely looking forward on a good hunt report with beautiful pictures afterwards.

Take care and bring back them trophies!

Loodt Buchner

Welcome to AH.

Sorry but I can't help you.

Hope you have a great trip.

Welcome sir. I sincerely hope your safari is everything you could wish for and then some. As mentioned I don't like their price list has not been updated in several years. Look forward to your report and pics.

Joe I have not heard anything about this particular Safari company. First blush looking at their website they looking similar to many others running safaris in SA. Here are a few overlooked tips on your first time that I would do with any Safari company.

1. Before you go clarify with the safari company what type of hunt you expect. Such as, do you want to walk and stalk, sit in a blind all day or is OK to ride about the ranch in the Bakkie (Safari Truck) and dispatch animals you come across or a combination of various styles.

2. Make sure where you are going to hunt meets you idea of an African Safari. I say this because the geography and Flora in South Africa can vary a lot from area to area. Not that this variation is bad or good bit you need to understand what you are getting into and how that matches what is in your minds eye. For example the Karoo area of South Africa is totally different from the Limpopo region. The Karoo is a lot of rolling open country and rim rock etc. where the Limpopo tends to be flatter thicker bush mainly thorn brush. Just like the US varies. South Texas hunting is totally different from hunting out in the wide open West. Doing this will really enhance your experience.

3. Understand what its going to take to get your trophies back here. This a hefty cost that many people do not understand. We use a local taxidermist in the Phoenix area that we have a good relationship with to set up the various stages.

Basically if you Taxidermy in the US your trophy items have to be dipped and packed (for a cost separate cost), then shipped to the US (separate cost) to a port of entry like Houston or LA etc., then you will need a trophy broker to get your trophies out of the warehouse and do all the import paperwork (separate cost), then the trophies have to be shipped from the port of entry to you (separate cost).

If you taxidermy in Africa then the dipping and packing a lot less but all the other steps happen.

With the trophies we brought back last time all these steps worked out to be about $380 per trophy.

4. If you can speak ie. email with the person that will be your PH this could help clear up issues early and also make the field portion of your trip go smoothly.

Feel free to message me if you have additional questions. Have a great trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg