SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With NB Safaris?

I'll add my 2 cents for what its worth. Almost every "first timer" to Africa has the time of their lives. When I see airport pickup and daily laundry as a reason to choose an outfit I have to stifle a chuckle. Virtually every place in Namibia and RSA do that as a matter of course. It would be most unusual not to. Again lots of animals doesn't carry much weight. Pretty common on an african hunt. Go 3-4 times with different outfitters and then tell us why they were the best. Those of you that fail to post hunt reports do the rest of us a disservice when it comes time to make a decision on who to hunt with.
It appears that they make a living on donation hunts and make it up with HIGH trophy fees. Probably not someplace that I'm interested in.
Bruce

Reactions: IvW
Hello,

Recently purchased a week stay for 2 hunters in South Africa with Nb Safaris for plains game with one trophy fee included for each hunter. I have searched their website, the internet, and spoke with the state side rep via email and on the phone and I'm hoping some people here have some reviews on the outfit. What information I have found is very limited and hit and miss on being a good experience. I purchased the hunt at a charity event after a friend won the same trip in a raffle there. So there would be 5 of us hunting and have been told the property is approx 20,000 acres. I guess my biggest concern is not knowing much about it and deciding on the trip and type of animals with limited information. If that means not going and booking somewhere else so be it. Any help would be great.

-Hendo
Hendo
We went in May of 2018. I will be honest! I was very skeptical about the pricing also. When we hit the ground in South Africa NB had a rep standing outside the airport waiting for us. He gave us a history lesson on the way to the lodge. Each of us had our own accommodations hot water flushing toilets ECT. The place was Immaculate! The staff was amazing. I left a hundred dollars in the pocket of my shorts when they went to the wash. The lady who was doing the wash walked over to me after we dropped a kudu and an impala off at the skinning shed and handed me the cash. Honest people are hard to find. From the very beginning their were no surprises. I harvested 6 trophy’s. I was very pleased with the amount of wildlife available. I Harry and George were great. They will never forget our group of misfits and the GUY ON A BUFFALO! I will be returning for my buffalo!

I am completely confused as why so many 1 post new members are on here tooting the Ops Company in question. One would think someone put the word out to create an account and post good things??? I do not know and have not hunted with company in question so will not comment on unknowns, most things mentioned laundry, good food, flush toilets, honest staff and game available would be expected on a SA safari I would think. I do compare TF price's and daily rate numbers to maximize my safari budget and would book elsewhere and get another safari for same budget. Just me.

MB

WOW, that is premium pricing for RSA. Way more expensive where I hunted and the place I hunted was high end.

I am completely confused as why so many 1 post new members are on here tooting the Ops Company in question. One would think someone put the word out to create an account and post good things??? I do not know and have not hunted with company in question so will not comment on unknowns, most things mentioned laundry, good food, flush toilets, honest staff and game available would be expected on a SA safari I would think. I do compare TF price's and daily rate numbers to maximize my safari budget and would book elsewhere and get another safari for same budget. Just me.

MB
Don’t be confused it’s simple really. That was my first African adventure. I had a fantastic time. I had the opportunity to hunt some great land. I am not tooting anymore than the others are trashing. My next trip will be to the same place. I choose that option as you choose to hunt where you hunt. The thread asked if anyone had hunted there so I responded. Yes I am new to this whole chat thing. Yes a friend said hey someone is asking about NB Safari on this forum. So... I gave my experience. Simple. You could go to Texas and hunt a kudu for 10,000+. That’s nose bleed steep. One Outdoorsman to another I had a great experience there. I have hunted and fished my entire existence haven’t been far from home to many times mostly local hunting black tail, mule deer, upland birds and ducks. Africa presents a completely new element to Hunting and an itch that can only be scratched after a 14 hr fright. That is what I wish someone would have told me about was what a pain in the rear sitting in one spot for that long was going to be!

Strange mix of posts. The language of all the happy folks seems very similar. Profiles very limited. The lack of pictures is strange. It is confusing. I’m with @Firebird on this. Red flags.

I understand, the plane ride is the worst, only because I am so dam excited I cannot sleep, and coming from West Coast Canada I usually have 2 14 hr flights to endure. I can understand why you came on site, my statement was sly? People are not really trashing, most have vast experience with multiple hunts. I have completed 4 safaris, but next summer will be my first to SA. Others were all wild areas in Zim and Namibia but those prices have rose substantially over the years. SA prices do not seam to have rose like other areas. What most are saying after a little investigation is the trophy fees listed on Nb are VERY high, almost 2x what most others offer. Eg; my next safaris TF prices are half what Nb lists and there are NO horn size restrictions. We look for the best possible male and I shoot when the PH tells me to. I expect all the camps to be the same level of luxury, (I prefer tents and fly camps) SA has a thriving safari industry and all companies compete for our attendance. Shop around you will be able to add more days and many more animals for the same budget that Nb states. The rules listed on right side of site are the first I have seen. Turn down a package animal hoping to find a larger and you pay total package price? These are red flags to me and I would maximize my funds elsewhere and have extra safari days and animals for same dollars spent. Each to their own.

MB

Here’s the blesbok I took with NB Safaris last year. It was my first safari so yes it was the trip of a lifetime compared to the experiences I’ve had to date. I’m sure my second trip and others in the future will be amazing experiences as well. I’m sure with the right outfitters the experience will typically be amazing. I met a hunter on my way to SA who went with another outfit and had a horrible experience and ended his trip early. I can only speak from my experience and it was great. Price wise, I’ve compared several other outfits to the package discount price and total fees I received and the net net was pretty comparable. I probably missed some better deals in my research but I came away happy.

328A62D8-D4F1-4B0F-BAC3-627AA2149BA1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s another red flag I noticed while comparing prices-the place I went with has a references tab and when you click it lists 24 USA references, and multiple references in other countries. NB doesn’t have a references tab nor could I see any offered. I’m sure they will supply some on request. I have had people e mail me about my ph so I know it works. Unless you don’t want to waste all that time checking references of course but I found it a valuable tool before selecting my safari company. Also I will never contact
Someone nicknamed “bubba” for advise on anything!
Hmmm...
IMG-20190901-WA0005.jpeg

By looking at the post above seams like (probably many on here) my suspicions above were exactly true. Confirmed that I will spend my safari $$$$ somewhere else.

MB

ha ha ha, this is just too funny & predictable..

1st time visitors / hunters to Africa opinions (never mind the fact that most of these posters didn't bother to politely introduce themselves which is custom for sincere members) vs the opinions of seasoned members that has been around the continent a few times.o_O

The prices do look higher then others and I appreciate the feed back. Any comments inregards to an experience hunting there?
Hendo, I have been to NB Safaris twice, and am preparing to return for a 3rd trip soon. I know this reply is a little late in coming, but I just ran across your thread while searching for a different topic. I found the hospitality, accommodations, and friendship to be beyond anything that could be dreamed about. As you have no doubt deduced from some of the replies on here, there are many posters in here with ulterior motives. It's sad when folks reveal that they feel compelled to tear a great company down in order to try and lift themselves up. Did I pass on a 60" Kudu standing broadside at 20 feet? Yes. But I also came away with some spectacular trophies and memories to last a lifetime. My wife has accompanied me on both my Africa trips and will travel with me again. I doubt I could convince her to hunt with a cheaper alternative after she has experienced the lovely hospitality of Neil and Debbie Barnard at NB Safaris.

For a short read on our most recent experience there, check out my hunt report at:
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-a-great-day-at-nb-safaris.53056/

BTW: You will find that some of the same critical mob that have showed up here also flocked to my hunt report to criticize and throw snarky comments.

9C6B51A6-7471-42BE-9DF6-502FE06BC94C.jpeg

I have no piece in this pie but surely if one thinks that someone is expensive no one is forcing you to buy it.
I see Neil a few times a year at our BASA shoots and don't know him beyond him enjoying to shoot his 500NE on the BASA ranges.
Why not contact him directly if there are any issues or questions.
What I can say is that I really don't get a grip on his American/African accent I still have to get use to it. ;)

Hello,

Recently purchased a week stay for 2 hunters in South Africa with Nb Safaris for plains game with one trophy fee included for each hunter. I have searched their website, the internet, and spoke with the state side rep via email and on the phone and I'm hoping some people here have some reviews on the outfit. What information I have found is very limited and hit and miss on being a good experience. I purchased the hunt at a charity event after a friend won the same trip in a raffle there. So there would be 5 of us hunting and have been told the property is approx 20,000 acres. I guess my biggest concern is not knowing much about it and deciding on the trip and type of animals with limited information. If that means not going and booking somewhere else so be it. Any help would be great.

-Hendo

I hunted with NB in Feb of this year and had an amazing trip. Here is a report of my hunt and some pictures.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-first-safari.53345/#post-579574
Prices may be higher than some, but we had an absolute blast and came back with some amazing animals. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Let me know if you have any direct questions or anything.

No I didn't . Father inlaw and brother inlaw did. I booked with Karoo Safaris instead 8 animal package fro my wife and I
I’m interested to hear the follow up reports from both hunts!

something smells like a dead fish.

No need to get upset. But with all due respect I dont think that Kudu goes 60. He is a good kudu for sure though. A 60 inch kudu is the holy grail and I would recommend not passing. You had a good hunt though and that is all that matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg