SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Kuche Safaris?

Andrew Short

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
Free safari?

Hello all, been reading on this site for years and decided to join when I was given a certificate for a free safari with a gun purchase.

The safari is a 5 day trip, 3 days hunting with Kuche safaris.

I would like to extend my hunting time and pick up a few other animals while in country but we will see if that’s possible...

Does anyone have any info on this company? I welcome all information and suggestions!!!

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH! My opinion of those “Free” hunts that are given away with purchase of a product is that it is simply a way to get you to go to Africa. First 3 days hunting does not even start to wet your whistle, you will book more days, minimum of 7 to enjoy yourself and not feel like you just spent half your life flying around. They throw in two free animals usually a blesbuck, impala or warthog, animals that you typically are not going to spend several days traveling around the world to shoot(although they are fine animals to take) you are going to want the iconic animals, Kudu, Gemsbok etc. hell, I’m already here so why not? Eventually your free hunt turns into a substantial amount of time and money, worth every second and penny but you must prepare for it. I’ve bought a couple auction hunts for what I would consider almost free, I have extended both and budgeted for several additional animals. This is what is expected, if a safari operator had clients coming for 3 day hunts that were given away by his US agent when you purchase a gun, he wouldn’t be in business very long. My opinion is take it for what it is, a great way to convince your wife that you must go to Africa because it is free, but expect it to cost you about what a booked hunt will in the end with a free small animal of two. I have seen the Company referenced on here but have no personal opinion or knowledge. Before you book your Free hunt though, I would shop around with some of our great and proven sponsors of AH and see just how good of a package they can put together for you and then make your decision. One thing about AH is that the evaluations of Safari Operators is honest and typically quite detailed good, bad or indifferent.
Cheers,
Cody

Thanks for the reply Cody! You’re spot on with the Blesbok, Warthog, and Impala as that’s specified in the certificate. You’re also correct in regards to me booking more days and convincing the wife it’s a great opportunity!!!

What's their day rate for additional dates? These can vary wildly and turn what is free in to an overpriced plains game hunt.

8A28F147-09D6-4EB4-87F9-63E78A9C879E.png

I don’t have first hand experience hunting with them. Talked with them in Dallas, and they seemed like good people. They have been mentioned a couple of times on AH. I don’t know exactly where, but I only remember reading good things about them.

I haven’t read or found anything bad about them. I would like to speak to someone with first hand experience.

Hello Andrew, I have a buddy(who is also a member here) who bought a gun on GB(likely from the same person as you) and received a certificate from Kuche for the same package. Since he had never been to Africa and had no knowledge of the outfitter, he contacted me to see what my thoughts were. I'm always leery of stuff like this, so I got all the info from him and contacted Koos at Kuche myself to discuss the details and everything seemed legit. My buddy asked that I go with him, but I already had a safari booked for the same year. We decided to combine our trips and I would be an observer on the portion with Kuche and my buddy would be an observer on my safari the following week. I discussed all this with Koos to see what their observer rates were and he let me tag along for free and said I could also hunt while there if I wanted(just pay trophy fee).

Everything went as planned with no surprises. There were several other animals shot(other than the 3 in the package) and the fees were very reasonable. Remember, everything is negotiable.

If you have any other questions, you can shoot me a PM.

Reactions: jpg
I've always heard good things about them. I do believe there was a similar deal a while back but maybe hunts being donated through the NRA that things went a little south over. I think Kuche withheld some trophies but it was bc they didnt receive their money for the hunt from the 3rd party. I might be totally wrong on this but keep searching the SEARCH. It wasn't that far back when this popped up. Again, didn't seem to be Kuche issue but hunter was paying the price of the 3rd party's mistakes.

I have never hunted with them and don't know much about their operations.

They are an annual exhibitor at our small local hunting show. Owner seems nice enough. Their booth is always full of satisfied hunters who stand around to shoot the bull. That is generally a good omen.

All the best on your decision.

Hello Andrew

I have no info on safari company stated. I would suggest getting all your wants, would likes and must haves figured out. I am a spread sheet guy, works for me. Then contacting a few other outfitters on here and seeing what they offer, property size, camp style and rating are a few. Remember published numbers are moveable. Ensure you compare apples to apples exactly. When you have narrowed down your final companies then you can make a knowledgeable decision. Immersing yourself in "safari" a year or more before the safari is all part of the experience. Welcome and have fun. Warning: Safari is life altering.

MB

Thank you all for your replies and comments. It helps tremendously!
I did make a spread sheet earlier with game and Airfare, other costs.

It’s kind of hard to know what is apples to apples though.

Thank you all for your replies and comments. It helps tremendously!
I did make a spread sheet earlier with game and Airfare, other costs.

It’s kind of hard to know what is apples to apples though.
On my spread sheets I have every thing listed, large and small. Must admit its not my first safari so have had a few trips to gather info and details. I do know what I want and what is important to me, not a drinker, prefer to have lunch from a cooler box under a big tree, eat what we shoot, not in Africa to eat beef. Sit around a mopane fire not a bar. Experience rather than inches of horn. All important to me. I would also plan on taking a few extra $$$, on my first safari I turned down a monster sable two days in a row, figured fee was above budget, kicking myself still 20 years later. Plan for the what ifs. Normal items like daily rates, trophy fees, non hunters accompanying are easily compared. Smaller things like airport pickup, firearm rental, ammo extra or included all add to costs slowly. With a few hours/days reading on this awesome site you will garner a wealth of info, details and specifics, but first I suggest you get exactly what you want decided on before the specific planning starts, what do you and your wife want from safari? She MUST go. As Buck Wild states, keep the search going, close no door and let the safari wave take you on a life long journey.

MB

I really appreciate that MB! She is adamant ongoing as she hunts and hikes.

I agree with you on the experience. That’s most important to me! This trip is a dream come true and we want to take it all in.
I want to see wildlife and the country. I don’t care about trophies or records either.

I say you have the right attitude, you will be amazed at the wildlife no matter the country, or area some are park like others you need to look. Having a hunting wife could take some of your opportunities?? Bugging you, a spouse enjoying as you do is the best, share and enjoy together. If its not inches of horn, maybe type of hunt you want, type of camp, overall experience, ask outfitter what a "normal" day goes like. I hate going back to camp at lunch, some places its expected to be at bar for "nooner", these small details can be sorted out prior to going, making it your safari.

MB

Anyone have suggestions of alternative outfitters?

Open to all suggestions.

thanks!!!

I say you have the right attitude, you will be amazed at the wildlife no matter the country, or area some are park like others you need to look. Having a hunting wife could take some of your opportunities?? Bugging you, a spouse enjoying as you do is the best, share and enjoy together. If its not inches of horn, maybe type of hunt you want, type of camp, overall experience, ask outfitter what a "normal" day goes like. I hate going back to camp at lunch, some places its expected to be at bar for "nooner", these small details can be sorted out prior to going, making it your safari.

MB[/QUOTE

I appreciate that! I know that I want to mainly spot and stalk. I don’t want to sit for periods of time or shoot off the truck. I would like to have lunch in the bush under a shade tree or something like that.

I will be sure to discuss the average day with the PH. That’s a great point.

I only give outfitter recommendations to those I fully know. Nothing to do with you but my perfect safari and outfitter may not be yours. My Zim outfitter is on here and every one and post has the same review as I do. Outstanding, honest and so far my best PH. Before you get an outfitter, budget, country, species, type of hunt, time, and tons more should be answered then compare to your "free" offer.

MB

PS My next outfitter/PH is on here, I should be there on my 21 day get to know each other right now, but we are Covid delayed by a year. Dam

MB

Thanks MB. I have been in contact with several members who have given me contact information for recommended outfitters. I will be doing my due diligence by contacting these companies, feeling them out, and then making the best decision for me. It does appear my “free” offer doesn’t add much and is not that great of a deal when compared to other pricing, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg