SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Huntershill Safaris?

50by50

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
S. Africa and Namibia
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a safari in May to hunt with Huntershill Safaris in the Eastern Cape. I've seen a couple reports on here about them but I wanted to reach out and see if there were any other guys that have hunted with them that wouldn't mind telling me about their experience.

Thanks-

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a safari in May to hunt with Huntershill Safaris in the Eastern Cape. I've seen a couple reports on here about them but I wanted to reach out and see if there were any other guys that have hunted with them that wouldn't mind telling me about their experience.

Thanks-
No experience of them but if you search on YouTube for Keith Warren's 'The High Road', it seems most of his African hunts are with Huntershill so you might get a reasonable idea of what the hunting is like.

I met Greg at SCI in Vegas in 2017. But I also met with many other PH and outfitters. I felt no pressure from any one to buy. I was there for 3 days before I made my mind up on who I would go with. I guess what stood out for me was it was my first time to Africa.
Not knowing what I wanted to do. But two guys there representing Huntershill Jason and Dillon sealed the deal for me. These two guys were fantastic to talk to. They answered all my questions. They ask what I wanted in a hunt. Not what do you want to hunt.
I went the last week in April and first week of May 2018. Had a great time. Had the same PH all 8 days Cody was great no pressure to shoot. After the fist few days I finally got my climbing legs and lungs. I said i would rather walk then ride and boy did we.
If you go hungry it's your own fault the food is great all the staff is wonderful. I ended up with 10 animals. But I never heard what you wanna shoot today. I had no wish list it was more opportunity for me. But I did decide on a Springbok slam which I hope to finish.
I left there making new friends looking forward to returning with my wife this time.
Met with Greg and Jason in Reno walked up to there booth it was hand shakes and hugs all around. Met with 3 great guys from Utah who I had a good time with at Huntershill there we are all returning in May 2020

I met Greg at SCI in Vegas in 2017.
Thanks for the response woody631. I booked through the Utah guys and have had the exact experience so far that you had. I’ve been 4 other times to the continent and on 3 felt like I was bait and switched so thought I’d get on and see what the overall feel is

No experience of them but if you search on YouTube for Keith Warren's 'The High Road', it seems most of his African hunts are with Huntershill so you might get a reasonable idea of what the hunting is like.
Thanks Adrian-
Checked them out. They’re awesome

Hey Guys,
Thanks-
Hello 50by50,

My 2018 report SOUTH AFRICA: Huntershill Safaris August 2018 Plains Game Paradise (https://www.africahunting.com/threa...faris-august-2018-plains-game-paradise.45017/) may be one of the ones you saw, so the link may be redundant. Or maybe not... All I can say is that I am re-booked for 12 more days this coming July, so, either I am a glutton for punishment, or Huntershill is for real. I personally vote for the second option :)

Seriously, in my mind, Huntershill can be defined by four numbers: 188; 70; 19; 97.

Huntershill is a 55,000 acres privately-owned hunting property located in the malaria-free picturesque foothills of the Stormberg Mountains near Queenstown in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. They have also secured exclusive hunting rights on the private lands immediately adjoining the property, so they offer a vast hunting block totaling over 120,000 acres. That is 188 square miles of pristine wilderness for unparalleled fair chase of free ranging wild animals.

Over 70 plains game species are present at Huntershill, including virtually all species of African antelopes compatible with the Eastern Cape climate, such as Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, all four Blesbok (Common, White, Yellow, Copper), Gemsbok, East Cape Kudu, Sable, Roan, Waterbuck, Zebra (Burchell and Mountain), Cape Eland, Lechwe, Tsessebe, all four Impala (Common, Black, White Flanked, Saddleback), Oryx (Arabian and Scimitar), Mountain and Common Reedbuck, Duiker, Steenbok, all four Springbok (Common, Black, White and Copper), etc. but also Warthog, Giraffe, Hippopotamus, Cape Buffalo, White Rhinoceros and Lion; as well as Baboon, Jackal, Axis and Pere David deer, Barbary Sheep, Nubian Ibex and others. Numerous SCI Gold Medal trophies have been collected at Huntershill.

What this means, is that because all these species strive at Huntershill, you can focus on hunting, right out of the lodge, and you do not have to waste precious time in daily highway drives, commuting for hours at a time from farms to farms to hunt different species, as is common in South Africa, and not always disclosed ahead of time to visiting hunters...

Huntershill has been organizing successful safaris for 19 years, and the best measure of their clients’ success, and therefore their own success, is that 97% of their clients return to Huntershill. Mind you, it does not mean 97% are happy - I suspect virtually 100% are happy; it means that 97% come back! I am a prime example. I thought that this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Yeah, right! Here is the catch with Huntershill - because there IS a catch with Huntershill: you will go back! :)

As Jason Olivier, the Huntershill Head Professional Hunter (PH) tells me jokingly, "the African bug bit you hard, didn't it?" He is right. I am 100% hooked. To the point that I went to the SCI show in Reno last week and ended spending most of my time on the Huntershill booth talking with the public...

I am happy for you that you are going to Huntershill in May. If you have doubts or buyer's remorse, I can tell you that these are unfounded: you made a good decision, and Kirk and the Utah team are awesome; you are in good hands. Jason, Greg and I are friends, so I am happy to help. If there is anything you need, any question you have (packing list, firearms import, travel, Huntershill tips, etc. etc.) please do not hesitate to PM me, I will be happy to answer. I am pretty sure you already have all these answers from Kirk, but if you are looking for one more perspective, I will be happy to share :)

Pascal

Last edited:
I'm booked with Greg April 25-May 5th this year....Met with Greg, Jason, and Boyce at DSC last weekend. Seem like good people. Looking forward to the trip, maybe we'll be there at the same time.

Tv hunter/host Steve Scott has hunted with them numerous times if I am not mistaken.

Hello 50by50,

My 2018 report SOUTH AFRICA: Huntershill Safaris August 2018 Plains Game Paradise (https://www.africahunting.com/threa...faris-august-2018-plains-game-paradise.45017/) may be one of the ones you saw, so the link may be redundant. Or maybe not... All I can say is that I am re-booked for 12 more days this coming July, so, either I am a glutton for punishment, or Huntershill is for real. I personally vote for the second option :)
Hey Pascal,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I must confess, I'm not having any second thoughts or cold feet hunting with Huntershill, but thought it would be wise to find out if there was any insights from this group before spending so much money going out there.

I did read your report and if I remember it correctly- you shot an outstanding kudu! With 3 full twists and flaring out. Yes- I just looked at it and that was you. Congrats on such a nice trophy. Your red hartebeest and steenbok were also very nice. And your bushbuck was an old warrior and a very cool trophy!

Can you tell me about your kudu hunt? Most of the pictures of cape kudu I see coming off Huntershill have the big wide twists so the tips are pointing in. I'll admit I really dislike that shape and LOVE the shape of yours. Was that just a fluke finding that bull or did you see others that were of the same quality and shape as yours?

Also- I'm curious about your perspective on a couple things that I've already asked the guys that booked the hunt for us. First, were you hunting exclusively with a rifle? In the past, I've had a lot of fun in Africa hunting out of blinds with my bow and was hoping to do some hunting with my bow while I'm there. Did you, or did any hunters in camp, use bows while you were there?

Second, did you ever feel cramped for area to hunt? 55,000 acres is very large... but even that much property can begin to feel small if there's 30 hunters going out every day. How many hunters were in camp while you were there?

Thanks

My son and I hunted at Hunter’s Hill in 2017. I must say, we could not have had a better experience. Our PH was excellent as were the accommodations and food.

I made a point to find them at DSC just to say hello. Really enjoyed seeing them

I highly recommended Hunters Hill.

I’ll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Hey Pascal, ... did you ever feel cramped for area to hunt? 55,000 acres is very large... but even that much property can begin to feel small if there's 30 hunters going out every day. How many hunters were in camp while you were there? Thanks
Hello 50by50, let's start with this one. Greg owns 55,000 acres but he has also secured exclusive hunting rights on the private lands immediately adjoining his property, so Huntershill hunts over 120,000 acres. That is 188 square miles!!!!!!! In August 2018, which is toward the end of the season, I was alone in camp the first week, and for the second week of my hunt there were 12 Mexican hunters in camp with me. I never saw one in the field. The property is vast enough and compartmentalized enough (hills and valleys) that through proper organization by Jason Olivier, the head PH, you will not see another hunting crew the entire day. At least that was my experience.
Hey Pascal, ... Can you tell me about your kudu hunt? Most of the pictures of cape kudu I see coming off Huntershill have the big wide twists so the tips are pointing in. I'll admit I really dislike that shape and LOVE the shape of yours. Was that just a fluke finding that bull or did you see others that were of the same quality and shape as yours? Thanks
In truth, my Kudu is fairly exceptional. 51", 3 turns, flaring out, massive bases, 4" ivory tips etc. There are longer Kudu - the week after I shot mine one of the Mexican guys shot at 53" Kudu, a trophy by every definition of the term, but I prefer mine... Yes there are a few like mine out there, but it truly is the luck of the draw. I think that you can be pretty confident about a good chance at a 50"+ Kudu, which is awesome in its own right, but the shape of the horns is really an individual trait. Your willingness to hunt long and hard far away from the Land Cruiser will help you a lot. There is this little deep valley/canyon that you can only access from the top of the mountain at the "sheep farm" that I will go back to because we saw a few others like mine... Talk to Jason, the Head PH, about that when you are there, tell him you spoke with me ;-)
Hey Pascal, ... were you hunting exclusively with a rifle? In the past, I've had a lot of fun in Africa hunting out of blinds with my bow and was hoping to do some hunting with my bow while I'm there. Did you, or did any hunters in camp, use bows while you were there? Thanks
An older gentleman (70 or some) took a gorgeous Sable and a 43" buffalo with his bow - can you believe he was pulling 80 lbs at 70 years old !?!?!?! - when I was there, and it is totally common, based on PHs stories, to have a hunter show up with both bow and rifle. I did not hunt with a bow, but I do bow hunt in the US so I am in tune with bow hunting. What I think is really cool at Huntershill is that there are a number of natural small waterholes all over the hills, so you can walk and stalk natural water holes, and set up natural blinds, as opposed to what seems to be common in Africa, which is shooting animals at a concrete water "hole" from a cinder-block bunker...

Have a great time out there, and PM me if you have other more individual questions.

Thx
P

I too hunted with Huntershill and cannot say enough good things about them. This was my first experience hunting in Africa, but it certainly will not be the last. Before I went I doubted that I would ever return and that it would be a once in a lifetime experience for me. I also thought that in the unlikely event I ever did return to Africa, I'd almost certainly try a different outfitter so I'd have some variety. Not anymore. I'm already talking with Huntershill about returning in April, and I was just there in October/November! AH member One Day said it best about the catch to Huntershill..... You will be back! Why did I change my thoughts? Because Huntershill FAR, FAR, exceeded any expectations I could have ever had! ....... I mean, beyond comprehension exceeded!
My "hunt of a lifetime in Africa" may have turned into a "lifetime of hunting in Africa"!!! (And this is no small feat, considering my low income!) In truth, I knew ahead of time that I couldn't really afford to do it, but what I didn't know was that I really couldn't afford NOT to!
Huntershill has fantastic staff, amazing food, beautiful accommodations, breathtaking landscape, incredible animals, huge hunting areas, a great location, honest management, and anything else you could possibly want! The people I had a privilege to meet there had a true respect and love for nature. Huntershill has a conversation program, they contribute to the community, they have an excellent rapport with their neighbors, they care about and strive for customer satisfaction, and they take care of their animals and their people. I am so excited to return and I am so sure that you're going to have an unbelievable time with them!

My wife and I will be going to Hunters Hill in June. Her aunt who has been to Africa 9 times and HH in 2007 is also going with us. She said it is a top notch place. This will be our first hunt to Africa. I'm going for Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Impala, Springbok, Steenbok. The wife is going for Blue wildebeest, Ostrich, and Blesbok. For those who have been here before. The animals on this list we just want good representation. I understand 55" Kudu prob isn't gonna happen. What should we expect to shoot size wise? We are pumped and can't wait!!!!

Well, SHOCKER, a 55" East Cape Kudu is indeed a rarity (these are not Greater Kudu), but honestly, you have a real chance at a 50"+ East Cape Kudu. It all depends how hard you are willing to hunt and how far from the hunting truck you are willing to go, and quite honestly it also depends on ... luck. The animals are there...

Here is my Huntershill Kudu:

As to general representativeness, it again depends on your hunting and luck, but there are some truly amazing trophies at Huntershill. Here are some of mine, circa August 2018:

As you can see, it goes from "very good representative animal," to "woah!"

You will have a great time at Huntershill.

Please do not hesitate to PM me with any specific question re. rifle, bullet, packing list, etc. for Huntershill. I will be happy to help.

Thanks
Pascal

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the feed back!!! Yeah we aren't the "shoot from the truck" kinda people. We plan on doing whatever we need to in order to find the smart ones. My wifes aunt has insisted to Gregg that we have Boyce as our PH. They had him as a rookie and put my wifes late uncle on a gold bushbok. How big was your Gemsbok?

Hate to say SHOCKER, but I have not measured the Gemsbok, nor any other animal for that matter. This is not critical to me. Probably not the longest one, but very thick all the way from bases to tips and a lot of "character" with frayed tips etc. Based on the PH and trackers' response (always positive and complimentary "by definition" but one can read between the lines when the relationship has become more personal than professional ;-) it is not a bad one...

I know Boyce personally. He is a great PH and a great person. He is a "big boy" too, so I would be very candid, as in "honest", with him when you start your hunt with him, outlining your concept of hunting and your expectations. In a genuine and respectful way, of course - one does not want to be the "American" who has never hunted in Africa but who is going to explain to the PH how it is done :E Rofl:- but it is completely OK, and useful to the PH, to say if you prefer to hunt on foot or from the truck; how long and how hard you can walk or not; whether the hunt is more important than the trophy or the opposite; whether you would rather come back for a gourmet lunch at the lodge or stay in the field with a bag lunch; how far you are comfortable shooting or not; etc. etc.

You will have a great time.

Absolutely!!! That is exactly what our aunt said as well. I'm a virgin to this whole African hunting. In no way shape or form will I argue his decisions. Hahaha. Like I said I just want good representation in our animals. We are sooooo excited for this experience. Again I really appreciate your feedback. I feel like my 3 year old son asking 100 ?s.

I have not hunted with HH but a bunch of guys from my father's PA deer club have hunted there and they are very satisfied! One of the gun clubs members, "Peter" has been HH rep at the NRA Harrisburg show.

Hey Guys,

Thanks-
So, now that this deed is done, how did that go 50by50?

Hi I'm not going to get into have I hunted at Huntershill, I've been sending hunters to Huntershill sense 2010 and here is my reference.
Trophy Room.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross