Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
, OFAH
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
Hi. I am fairly new to this forum.
I have been looking at an outfitter called "Grootpan Hunting Safaris" located in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Owners are Heinrich and Yvette Uys.
Their prices are good and their web page is great. My only problem is that he can only post 4 previous clients as a reference. I contracted the owners and they do not have any more references.
My question to this forum is: Has anybody hunted with this outfitter and does anybody know them? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum Bear hunter. Hope some one would give the info.

Monish

Hi. I am fairly new to this forum.
I have been looking at an outfitter called "Grootpan Hunting Safaris" located in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Owners are Heinrich and Yvette Uys.
Their prices are good and their web page is great. My only problem is that he can only post 4 previous clients as a reference. I contracted the owners and they do not have any more references.
My question to this forum is: Has anybody hunted with this outfitter and does anybody know them? Thanks for the help.

Hi Bearhunter
I am also fairly new to this forum and I must say its awesome...
We have an outfitting company called Bush-Pro Safaris, with a privately owned ranch in the North-West Province of South-Africa. It sounds like Grootpan Safaris and I have the same problem, references. To be honest I also would have wanted to hear from references before booking a hunt with someone, the thing is that there is a couple of outfitters out here which is excellent but they are either new companies or they just dont have the financial support to advertise at all the oversea hunting shows etc. Now one of your biggest concerns might be whether we are fly by night operaters just waiting to run with your money or if all that is said on the webpages and all the pictures is true at all.
I cant speak for Grootpan Safaris but I Can assure you that my dad and me runs our company with passion, dignity, honesty and hope that all our effort would be repayed by loyal clients returning and continue referring us to other hunters.

All the best to you

Heinrich Prinsloo

Hello Bearhunter,
Have you contacted the four references yet? If they all had a positive experience I would say go ahead if the price is right. Sometimes new outfitters will work very hard to build up a happy client base. If any of the previous clients had any negatives I would stay away. I also might look elsewhere if this is a once in a lifetime safari, there are too many proven outfitters to take a chance. I would expect a lower rate than with an established outfitter. What does your gut tell you?

Talked to them at Harrisburg.....I have nothing bad to say;nice enough folks.

I think their area is a bit smaller than I would like;BUT;

If you had it on your own;I'd be OK with it.I wouldn't want to be grouped in with other hunters,and would want exclusive use of the property for the duration of the hunt.After about 5 days you'll start to see the same spots over again.Not to stay it will be easy hunting,just be aware of those things to make up your mind.

Like the previous post;I like to go with my gut too....

Dinsdale

Hi Bearhunter

I understand that you might have some concerns about smaller outfits with fewer references.
What I have found in the time that I have been hunting is that when it comes to hunting with outfitters that are well established and conducting hunts over a longer period the company becomes so large that you as hunter might not even meet the outfitter on your safaris. So this means that you might be put up with a PH
that is only there to earn his salary and don’t mind whether you get what you want. In the other hand hunting with smaller outfits gives you the hands on with the outfitter, the one who decided what to do when to do so, and I can assure you that an outfitter himself will look after you, simple reason being that he wants you to return to him for the next Safari. I know Heinrich personally and I have spent time with him in the bush and I can assure you that he is good in what he does and he has a passion for hunting for him hunting is not all about the payment he will get out of you but more of what he can do for you.

Thanks for the post Bosman, I appreciate when someone knows another PH and says he's alright, give him a chance. That says a lot to me!

Hi Enysse

Thanks for the kind words you posted. Everyone deserves a chance in life and does not need to be yacked of by others who is not even interested in hunting with the guy.

I don't know Heindrich myself, but his Ranch i do. He bought it a few years back from a friend of mine - Willem Burger. The area and accomodation i can vouch for...:cool:

Hi Bearhunter

I understand that you might have some concerns about smaller outfits with fewer references.
What I have found in the time that I have been hunting is that when it comes to hunting with outfitters that are well established and conducting hunts over a longer period the company becomes so large that you as hunter might not even meet the outfitter on your safaris. So this means that you might be put up with a PH
that is only there to earn his salary and don’t mind whether you get what you want. In the other hand hunting with smaller outfits gives you the hands on with the outfitter, the one who decided what to do when to do so, and I can assure you that an outfitter himself will look after you, simple reason being that he wants you to return to him for the next Safari. I know Heinrich personally and I have spent time with him in the bush and I can assure you that he is good in what he does and he has a passion for hunting for him hunting is not all about the payment he will get out of you but more of what he can do for you.

I agree.I've always preferred quality over quantity.Best time of my life was working with a 'no-name-brand' guy who's absolute love of life,hunting,the bush and wildlife had his clients coming back for over twenty years.No frills,no fuss,no bells and whistles-just 'tough stuff' hunting.Like it should be.

Thank you everyone for the information. I was at the Harrisburg show and met Heinrich there and spoke to him briefly. When choosing an outfitter references are extremely important.
I have chosen to hunt with Jacques Spamer from Hartzview Hunting Safaris and will be hunting with Jacques for 2 weeks in October of this year. Looking forward to my first of many trips to South Africa.

Hey Bearhunter,

We are all looking forward on having you guys in camp. Thank you for putting your trust in Hartzview Hunting Safaris.

See you soon in Africa!

Best regards,

Jacques

Grootpan

I have been a lurker here for some time. To be honest I was looking to go on my first Africa trip and found this site on a general search.
The reason for my interest in Africa was I suppose everyone elses as well. You have to go there to get those animals.
I met Heinrich at Harrisburg last year and again this year. After speaking with him and his wife Yvette I found them to be a bit different than the other 20 or so I saw. It really felt to be a more personal deal for them, and since I am sure it will take several trips to get the animals I want I like that.
I also like the fact that he owns an area along with long term concessions and isn't restricted to hunt public areas or concessions only.
I am headed to Grootpan on Sunday for a 4 night 5 day hunt. I understand it is a short trip, but it is what I could squeeze in for now.
I am after a few starter animals first. Partly because I find it hard to send a lot of cash to someone I haven't hunted with yet. I want to see his operation, and judge whether I want to spend the big dollars with him or find someone else.
I will let you know what I find when I return, and hope to have pictures to show.

Good Luck redsncans, Hope you have a great hunt!

Sorry for the delay

in my report on Grootpan. I have been swamped with work and personal life.
In a nutshell it was the best hunt of my lifetime.
I have hunted Saskatchewan for deer and black bear, Colorado and New Mexico for elk, Mexico for mule deer, all over the US for ducks and geese. I have never been treated as well as I was by Heinrich, his family and his staff.
I have more pictures than you can imagine. I don't know where to begin. Lodge? Live game? Dead game? LOL
I took a porcupine, warthog, 29 1/4" blue wildebeast, and a beautiful nyala. I filmed a buffalo and wildebeast hunt for another man in camp as I was satisfied with my hunt already and wanted to experience that buffalo hunt for myself.
The lodging and food was superb. The entire staff made me feel like a king visiting their country. I went thinking it would be a trip I'd take another time or two to fill a few wants, but I can see now it will be an every other year trip for me from now on. I will stop a few of my other hobbies/habits and put that towards this "trip of a lifetime" again and again.
I will upload some pictures to photobucket and post asap.

Well, I'm glad you have another addict on our hands! I'm happy you had a super time and will hunt Africa again and again!

Congratulations for your hunt redsncans.

I agree with you, hunting in Africa should be the priority:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!