Graham Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
Just got back from an awesome hunt with Nick. The start was 2019 when Nick posted a 20 animal cull hunt. My buddy and I booked for March 2020. Well we all know what happened so we went for 2021. Thanks to our Prime Monster travelling was too risky. Now 2022 we finally put it together. My self, Great Nephew and buddy arrived the 25th of May to Port Elizabeth, where Nick was waiting for us and off to Bedford we went. We arrived at Nick's home which is a very British style rambling 170 yr old home. Nick has put a lot of efforts into upgrades and reno's. Beautiful, comfy accommodations with great views. We unpacked and checked the rifles. Once everyone was happy we went out for a little afternoon drive for orientation. rest will follow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to hear how it went. I also had an awesome hunt with Nick this year.

:D Pop Popcorn: Eager for more!

So as we left Nick's place I was impressed with the quantity of animals. Very little high fence and amazing country. Open pastures to hills and valley's with heavy brush. As we came over one hill we stopped to glass and the 1st animal we spot is a large Sable. As this had become an add on Trophy for me I immediately got interested. Not far away was another large Sable that was wide.
Nick said let's keep looking as one of his PH's keep seeing a large Bull hanging around one of the main herds. A little farther and we spot another large Sable. As we are glassing Nick says damn he has broken 3-4 inches off one side. As I already have a very good Sable I am more than impressed with this old warrior.
Nick offers me a discount and the chase is on. Exit the Bakkie and work into position. I am shooting my 6.5-06 Custom I built. We finally get a decent shot at 275yds, he buckles and then comes running towards us. I shoot again and it is a hit but not much reaction. He stops and I put aa 3rd round in. He goes a short ways and is down. Finishing shot and done. Old Bull shredded ear and battle scars. I couldn't be happier. Loaded and back to Nicks for a refreshment followed by an excellent dinner and a couple more refreshments. Not bad considering our official hunt didn't start till tommorow.

NBSable.jpg

So Nick's 20 animal Cull package is 5 species- 4 of each Warthog, Springbok, Impala, Mtn Reed Buck and Blesok. 3 Culls of each and 1 trophy. The amount of animals is phenominal and Nick and crew make each trophy you take Proper. Myself and Todd were hunting 2 on 1 with Nick for the 1st 7days till Nick's Bakkie blew it's brakes. Only problem his back up was a single Cab as his other double cab had an engagement with a Kudu the week before and was in the body shop. My great nephew was on a 7 animal Trophy package and hunting with his PH Nadine a fine young lady from the area whose father is also a PH and she is carrying on the family tradition. 30 yrs young but very skilled and a 9 yr Veteran as a PH. Call my great nephew is a young Texan of 20 who grew up hunting and shares an Outfitting Operation in the family. I brought him because he is one of the finest young men I know and it was a privilege to share the trip with him. Memories to last us forever. So Nick asked Nadine if she would mind if I was added to her duties. No problem so off we went. I was happy as I wanted to spend some time with Call hunting.

Last edited:
Call was down to a Gemsbok and a Zebra which was an add on. Went to another property near Bedford. This was a Cattle Ranch very well managed. The farm tracker hoped in and off it went. It constantly amazed me how these tracker/farmhands new every little 2 track on the property. I had shot a Cull Fallow Deer stag here 2 days earlier. Lots of hills and beautiful brushy valleys. The amount of game was phenominal. As we approached the are we were to hunt we bumped a herd of Fallow Deer. I had been told I could shoot one more as a Cull. Nadine stopped and said we should stalk them as they were not very spooked. I declined as I wanted Call to get his Gemsbok. We parked the Bakkie on top of a very tall hill and Nadine and Call were headed for the valleys. They hadn't been gone 5 minutes when out of the bottom comesw a nice Fallow Stag and stops at 40yds. I advised him he should more on as I can be tempted easily. 2.5 hrs later and we hear a shot followed by a call on the radio. I was to bring the bakkie down as Call had his Gemsbok. We had no sooner crested the hill when there was a large herd of Gemsbok calmly watching us. They had been within 4 hundred yds of the Bakkie all the time. It took awhile to get down to call and Nadine. After a difficult stalk avoiding other animals and working the terrain Call taken a very old female with worn down teeth, one shot at 90yds. Call was very cautious of his shots and was proud of his patience.

As we were heading to the skinning shed we a herd of fallows was spotted. After a short stalk I got about a 225 yd shot. Hit a little back and not the best angle. No worries as Nadine sent Flip her Jack Russel and had the Fallow bayed in no time. Finishing shot and we were off to the skinning shed and back to the Lodge for lunch. Great lunch of Kudu burgers and chips a short nap and we were off for my Trophy Impala. As were headed to the property we spotted a herd of Springbok. As we glassed Nadine and Call both said there he is. Apparently there was a very good male that had outwitted them on 3 previous stalks. After some stalking and careful locating I was on the sticks. 256 Nadine says. One shot and the Springbok is mine. Beautiful animals. We carry on and start spotting Impala. 1st group doesn't like our company. Nadine says we need to get to the Valley's where we have more cover. We start spotting Impala moving thru the brush and a good Ram is located. We start to stalk but we are constantly trying to sort out which is which. As they pass by us Nadine suggest we carry on down and see if they continue uphill. As we sneak down I spot our Ram in the bush. I whisper to Nadine and she says that's him. One for me to beat the PH! After he clears the tree he turns full frontal at 100yds. One shot off the sticks and we are headed back for the skinning shed followed by several Adult beverages, appy's and a great dinner of sirloin steak cooked to perfection by Nick. Another great day on the Eastern Cape.

Call's main target animal was a Kudu. I believe it was the second day and I had passed on the morning hunt. Jet lag and pre trip work had me exhausted. Todd and Nick headed out as did Call and Nadine. As Todd and Nick were spotting they saw a great Cape Kudu on a steep brushy hillside. The call was made as Nadine and Call were about 20 mins away. They huslted over and the Kudu was still feeding. Nadine and Call made a stalk and Call had to shoot at a steep downhill angle. At the shot the Bull dissappered but only several Cows ran out. Call and Nadine went down the Cliff and steep hillside while Nick and Todd moved along the edge of the Cliff. The Kudu was spotted and location radioed to Call and Nadine. Call's admiration and appreciation for this trophy was worth the whole trip. He thought if that was all he got his trip was complete. Boy was he in for a surprise.

NBCK.jpg

The following morning Nadine, Call and I headed out for his add on Zebra. Another ranch close to Bedford. Beautiful property and buildings were immaculate. They had also added a guest lodge for holidays and hiking clients. Not sure how big this property was but it was huge. Also held some monster Kudu! We picked up the property tracker and headed for the hills. The 1st herd of Zebra we spotted had a lot of mares with young foals so we left them alone. We found a second herd that had a good stallion. Off Call and Nadine went. These Zebra were spooky and took them down a valley up a steep hill and back down a valley and up on to a flat where Call finally got a full frontal shot off the sticks at 175 yds. One shot and DRT. Good job young man. Beautiful Zebra with good markings. Loaded and headed back to the Lodge by 11:30 for lunch and nap.

NBCZ.jpg

Great animals so far! Enjoying your hunt report. Also really great that you brought your great nephew with you! He's taken some awesome animals.

After a nap we left a little early for the afternoon hunt. With Call having completed his list we were focused on finishing my Cull/Trophy list. I still had Warthog, Mtn Reedbuck and Blessbok on my list. But we had seen some super Gemsbok so away we went to add another trophy. Got to the area close to Nick's and found a herd right away. In a bushy valley but were able to have a good look. Nadine said there is a huge Bull as well as some old trophy Cows. As soon as they spotted the Bakkie they got nervous. Got out of sight and gave them time to calm down. Started a stalk but got spotted. Too far for a shot and getting nervous. Nadine said we need to back out as we don't want to spook them. She said the Bull was huge and she wanted to get him. Hmm very focused PH=large trophy! Nadine said we could get ahead of them with the Bakkie. Well almost they were already there. Back off again but this time we get ahead of them. Start a stalk but get spotted again. By this time Nadine has got me revved. I had already had the lecture on shot placement and how tough these animals can be. We don't want to be tracking a wounded Gemsbok till dark. More revved thanks. Nadine suggests we go to the top of the hill as the Gemsbok will be coming out on a flat just over the hill where we can get a good look. Shot might have some distance but will have lots of time for a calm well placed shot. Off we go and stop at the top of the about 200 yds from the edge looking over the flat. Exit the bakkie and grab the sticks. We don't make 10 ft and here come Gemsbok on top of the hill. We freeze and they walk up in two groups. Look at the Bakkie and are not concerned. Nadine quickly spots the Bull and points him out to me. I am no Gemsbok pro but am a little concerned. Has very thick horns but is awfully long for a Bull. Nadine assures me it is a Bull. About 180yds but is in a group of 4 or 5. Waiting for a clear shot. Finally clear and broadside. 1 st shot solid hit. Makes a small circle and is broadside again. Nadine says shoot again at the same time my gun goes off. Drops right there. I always get an adrenaline rush after I shoot an animal and would quit if I didn't but I hadn't had the shakes like that since I was 25 yrs old. I look over at Nadine and she is shaking as bad as me and Call trying to film is too. We all start laughing at each other. Call says Uncle Graham I didn't think you every got that excited. After 10 mins of calming down we go over to see our trophy. 42" Bull and not as old as we thought. Well into his prime but not old and in great shape.

This morning we head out to hunt Blessbok. We had seen several herds in the previous days but man were they spooky. We arrived with Todd and Nick in one Bakkie and Nadine, Call and I in the other. The idea was to split up and set up for an ambush as the trackers moved them around. 5 minutes later we get a call from Nick to get our butts over to them as they had spotted a large Warthog and I was the only one left without a trophy. Nick's knowledge of his properties is incredible. He had got in front of the Warty to cut him off. When he turned back I was ready. He stopped for a moment trying to decide which way to go. Quick shot and a solid hit but he took off running. Knowing how tuff these critters can be. Tried a running shot but only got a termite mound. In mid stride he just dropped. Proper Boar as Nick would put it.

NBWART!.jpg
NBWART1A.jpg

We carried on for Blessbok. The plan was for Todd and Nick to set up in one spot for an ambush and Nadine and I in another. We set up by a pond and our snipers nest was a bank that had been dug out by Warthogs. Seemed like a good plan but nobody had told the Blessbok. As the trackers tried to move the Gemsbok they did and twice they were within range and to bunched up for me to take a shot. After 2 hrs we called it a day and went in search of some culls. Nadine found me a Impala. This was my best distance shot at 458 yds. DRT. After lunch and a nap we head out for more culls. We go thru the hills and find a group of 4 Mtn. ReedBok. Nadine says shoot that old female. 200yds but not the best angle, obvious hit but takes off over a hill. We look for awhile and I said I don't think it went this far. We start back to the start and Nadine turns flip loose downwind. 2 minutes and flip has found it. Very tall grass and hard to see. Thanks Flip. Head for another area and glass from the hilltop, move down and glass, move down and glass and when we reach the bottom we spot 2 Warthogs. As we glass to more come on the same opening but closer. We head out to stalk them. As we move closer we spot a Duiker in a greenpatch of grass. Nice Duiker and on my trophy list. We work closer to get a good look and Nadine says let's go back and check the Warty's. As we start back another Duiker comes out and is immediately chased by the 1st. Nadine says that was a very good Ram and was I willing to sneak around and forego the Warts for a bit. You bet and slowly we move thru the flat from bush to tree to bush. As we both are about to clear a tree there he is 50 yds and feeding, We back up to the tree and Nadine says can you shoot thru the bush. Bang, she jumped and said damn you're fast. I had made her jump and she lost sight of the Ram. Did you hit it? I don't know but there is a little white patch in the grass where it was standing. Beautiful Duiker Ram. When we got back to the Bakkie Call said we looked like we were drunk with all our back and forth and wobbling around. Off to the Lodge for appys, beverage and supper. Life is tough here on the Eastern Cape!

NBD.jpg

2nd last morning. I still have 2 Trophy's on my Cull Hunt. Blessbok and Mtn Reed Buck. Off we go in search of Mtn. Reed buck. Short drive behind Nick's house and we spot a good Ram. 325 yds, solid rest with the 6.5-06. 1st shot high, 2nd shot to the right and 412 just over top. There was some wind but not that bad. I had the 06 riding in the back for the last few days as I wanted to use my 7x64 and do a bullet comparison. Maybe it got bumped maybe I was having a bad morning. I'll figure it out when I get home. as we continue we spot numerous group of Reedbuck but Nadine says no exceptional Rams. Off to glass some different hills. We spot a group in the valley that has a very good Ram. We get spotted and they head for the open top of the hill. Nadine says we are going to back out and come back after lunch as thwy will come back here to bed as this is their little valley. OK? Back to the Lodge for lunch, nap and then we head out early. As we approach the same area sure enough they are all bedded in the same little valley. We try a different approach and get to a spot where we can glass. Some are lying down some moving and Nadine spots the Ram lying down behind a bush. She says we need to wait as he will get up and give us a clear shot vs trying to stalk them and too many eyes. We are watching and waiting when I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. I swing over and it's another Ram. He runs 35yds and stops broadside. Nadine taps my shoulder and bang. DRT. She looks at me and says damn your fast. Guess she's never hunted coyotes in Alberta or Saskatchewan. He had been bedded 80yds from where we were glassing. Not sure if he was as big as the one we were watching but still went over 7". Drop him off at the skinning shed and we head out for a cull Springbok and Warthog. 10 mins later a Cull Springbok runs out and stops at 125 yds. Last Springbok down on on to find a Warty. The afternoon had turned windy and cool. Only saw 3 Wart's off and running. Cruised around some more but did not see much. Headed back for the evening.

NBSPRG.jpg

Unfortunately this is the last day. Todd, Nick, Nadine and I head out for our Blessbok. We split up when we arrive. Trying to get up on the Blessbok is difficult. The wind is blowing and they are spooky. Todd manages to snipe a Trophy as we move them around. I am on them several times but either to grouped up or take off before I can get a shot. Finally get a long shot well over 300 and make a bad shot. Spend another 20 mins before I get another distant shot that stops him. We move closer and a finishing shot. We keep going for my last Blessbok Cull and I drop one at just under 400 that requires a finishing shot. Beautiful white female. This was not my favorite part of the hunt. Too much going on all the time and just not my style. Todd got his cull and we were off. I still had 2 Warthog Culls left. Nadine had said that morning when we left that it would not be a good Warthog day as it was cool, overcast and windy. As we were driving back we started to see Warty's. The sun had come out and it had warmed up a bit. We were driving thru open pastures and every time we spotted Warthogs they took off with no shot. We came to a little Valley that went for a mile or so. Nadine suggested we go for a walk as the Warthogs should be heading for a midday Siesta. We had walked about 50 yds when we spotted a pig in the valley. As we glassed him he got into some brush and didn't come out. A little farther and a Sow with piglets. Then another 100yds and I said Nadine. 175yds to our right headed for the valley was a big boar. Up went the sticks. As I got him in the scope I noticed a large tusk. Damn trophy. Then he turned and had broken off his other tusk. I heard shoot. About 150 yds one shot and done. Huge old boar with scars and calloused face with trophy warts as big as his ears. Loaded in the Bakkie and on the way back to the Lodge we spot another group and Nadine picks out a female and done in one. Back for lunch.

NBBless.jpg
NBWart2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!