kgesch

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA South Africa and Canada
I'm finally getting around to posting a brief story on a great rifle hunt with Kei River Safaris last June/July (2014) near Komga, Eastern Cape, RSA and Queenstown. I hope I post this correctly. I've never done one before.

My son-in-law Ben and and my daughter Karolyn joined my wife Gwendy and me for 10 days of plains game hunting. Our hosts at Mpotshane Safaris and Maweni Game Lodge were fantastic and our Kei River PH, Martin Neuper, was the best we could have hoped for. Lots of animals seen, beautiful scenery, great company, etc. I've written dozens of pages about the trip, but here are the condensed results.

Ben and I hunted 2X1 with Martin. Our wives came along almost the entire time. I wouldn't have had that any other way. They loved it.

IMG_4342.JPG
Ben started our first hunting trip to Africa with an Impala right before dark.

IMG_4402.JPG
The next morning I shot this old, heavy guy - my PH got me to 27 meters - even I couldn't miss with the 7mm at that range.

IMG_4424.JPG
Later that afternoon Ben and I each took a beautiful zebra.

IMG_4479.JPG

The next day was a beautiful, but no animals were taken.

The next day we both connected with our Kudus. Mine was very nice, but Ben's was a giant.
IMG_4544.JPG
IMG_4624.JPG

With one day left at Mpotshane we decided to chase Blesbok and Warthog. Ben's Blesbok was a big old ram on a gorgeous location. My warthog was in the same area.

IMG_4752.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG

The next we survived a wonderful day of shopping in East London with Andrew's wife, Sharyn. It was a good break from the routine.

Early the next morning we headed out to the Queenstown area, staying with the Miles family at Maweni Lodge. I wasn't sure we would even be allowed in a place that nice. The Miles made us feel like part of the family.

Ben struck first, getting a nice Springbok.
IMG_5027.JPG

We spent the next after Gemsbok. I shot a big-bodied bull and Ben shot a bony, ancient cow.
IMG_5126.JPG
IMG_5075.JPG

Our first trip to South Africa was beyond anything I could have anticipated. Thanks to Andrew, Martin and all of the fantastic hosts. We'll be back.
IMG_4938.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you had such a great trip.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Congratulations.

Thank you for sharing your hunt!!!

Great hunt report with awesome animals! Congrats.

All great animals - thanks for sharing.

Nice trophies, congratulations.

Excellent trophies!

Congrats for a great experience, and thanks for sharing !

Well done on a successful hunt and thank you for sharing the photos!

great job!!!

Major omission on my part: Andrew Renton runs Kei River Safaris. I needed to get a shout out to him for organizing a great hunt. Sorry Andrew!

I have heard excellent things about Kei River Safaris. I loved the pictures, thank you very much, I needed that today.

now that's a family outing................
extra special having the girls out , on the hunt with you boys......
l feel the same way , when we end up in some flash places to stay ..................
thanks for the chance to share your memories ......................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg