SOUTH AFRICA: Good Hunt With Tootabi Hunting Safaris

The last day of our five day hunt was nice. The weather was good. We ate breakfast and it was clear Lammie was ready to go.

Off we went. We hit all the usual spots without success. We started expanding our range until we finally came to rest on a hilltop overlooking a brushy valley with a waterhole in the bottom. I raised my binoculars and almost immediately saw warthogs dashing about, then out came the boar. He was clearly engaged in chasing. I think we all saw the same thing at once. The sticks and rifle were gathered. It was clear we were going for a long walk and would spend some time in the brush. I asked my daughter if she wanted to stay in the truck and after some thought, she said yes. Glad she did.

Lammie, Attie and I headed off down the hill, occasionally testing wind. All was good. Every once in awhile Lammie would use his binoculars to check to see if the warthogs were still there. Some were but he had not seen the boar in some time. Finally we were in the bottom of the valley and below the waterhole. Attie led us to the opposite hillside where we fought brush to gain an uphill view. It was not easy going and my poor guide lost some blood thanks to some thorn that took him in the face. Though I dont know Africaans... I do know those words that were slightly more than mumbled!

Finally we found ourselves in small opening in the brush just above the pond. Two small warthogs.

Just saw the time... I gotta get to work!

We stayed on that hillside until finally the boar came out of a hole with another. Eventually I was able to take a shot despite uneven footing and all the whatnot. BOOM WHOP and my boar made a dash. We could see he was hit too far back but he was stumbling as he hit the brush line. I heard a crash and was convinced he was down... but we had to find him

Since the boar was hit too far back, he did not leave much blood sign. Attie did a tremendous job and found him after about a half hour of work.

Sorry to be so brief but I must go!
DSCN1588.JPG
DSCN1610.JPG

Great report ! I miss Loodt"s specials and hunt posts.

Here we have the sister to Lammie's rifle... meet Emmylou. Emmylou is a rifle I bought when I was 14 (now 47).
Emmylou would like to go to Africa. If you would like to see Emmylou in action in Africa, please send your donations...
DSCN1137.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
great report, reading this brought me back to some of the same hill sides, watching the same water hole, and the food, great family, great time. Glad you got to experience it with your daughter, memories that will last forever

Gold I appreciate the report and pictures very much.

I still have a bit more to go but have some honey-do's to do.

In a nutshell:
Tootabi Hunting Safari's did a wonderful job for us.

Lammie is a top notch PH and did a fantastic job of including Elia in all aspects of the hunt. There was one point where she stopped to sniff the flowers so to speak (actually look at a grasshopper) and fell way behind. We were on a stalk and Lammie was patient. I appreciated that.'
I absolutely loved Lammie's joy when Elia made good shots. Clearly showed the appreciation for good shooting.

I'm being pulled away to another task. Will continue later.
Randy

That is so true lammie lets the hunter know he is doing a good job with there shooting. Dakota and I still laugh at some of the stuff he said about the shots we made. I can still hear him say holy shit what a shot man when I shot my impala as he started to run away. With his accent it just makes you laugh and have fun.

Lammie and attie make a hunt a great time and go at the pass of the hunter. Top notch ph and tracker and make a good combo when teamed up with loodt and his family.

Congrats Randy, seems like you and Elia really enjoyed your hunt, one you´ll always remember !

The last day of our five day hunt was nice. The weather was good. We ate breakfast and it was clear Lammie was ready to go.

Off we went. We hit all the usual spots without success. We started expanding our range until we finally came to rest on a hilltop overlooking a brushy valley with a waterhole in the bottom. I raised my binoculars and almost immediately saw warthogs dashing about, then out came the boar. He was clearly engaged in chasing. I think we all saw the same thing at once. The sticks and rifle were gathered. It was clear we were going for a long walk and would spend some time in the brush. I asked my daughter if she wanted to stay in the truck and after some thought, she said yes. Glad she did.

Lammie, Attie and I headed off down the hill, occasionally testing wind. All was good. Every once in awhile Lammie would use his binoculars to check to see if the warthogs were still there. Some were but he had not seen the boar in some time. Finally we were in the bottom of the valley and below the waterhole. Attie led us to the opposite hillside where we fought brush to gain an uphill view. It was not easy going and my poor guide lost some blood thanks to some thorn that took him in the face. Though I dont know Africaans... I do know those words that were slightly more than mumbled!

Finally we found ourselves in small opening in the brush just above the pond. Two small warthogs.

Just saw the time... I gotta get to work!

We stayed on that hillside until finally the boar came out of a hole with another. Eventually I was able to take a shot despite uneven footing and all the whatnot. BOOM WHOP and my boar made a dash. We could see he was hit too far back but he was stumbling as he hit the brush line. I heard a crash and was convinced he was down... but we had to find him

Since the boar was hit too far back, he did not leave much blood sign. Attie did a tremendous job and found him after about a half hour of work.

Sorry to be so brief but I must go!
View attachment 59256 View attachment 59257
Shouldn't it have been an apple in it's mouth, not plumbago?

Afterwards we loaded up the springbok and headed back to the skinning shed. There we met landowner Warren Rudman. Pleasantries were exchanged and we were invited in to meet his wife Belinda and son Glynn. Spent a little time chatting and getting to know one another before Lammie ushered us out for another hunt.

We rolled and rolled on ranch roads looking at game. Loved every minute of it but never did come up with our steenbok ram.

After time passed, we went back to the ranch house. A fire was started and a beer was opened. Junior had a water. Not long thereafter, the Rudman family joined us for dinner. We spent the evening around the fire, chatting and getting to know one another. Absolutely wonderful evening. Could not have asked for more.

Finally it was off to bed.
It was good to have met you Randy and Elia after chatting so much about steenbok on AH. Belinda really enjoyed your shop talk, she want's to meet your work partner around the fire, to hear his stories!
Did Lammie serve hot dog for supper?
IMG_1511.JPG

why wasnt daughter #2 with you?

enjoyed the pics and story.

also,love that dog.

Daughter #2 told me she wanted to go. We struck a deal on what her contribution would be, then she got engaged and married last October.
Dont know if the little photos will come through…

Handshake.jpg
Randee and Nathan Ball.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In all, I have 5 daughters, two were inherited when I married my wife. The next three were of my loin (y)
Elia is the youngest.

i suppose getting married is an acceptable reason.

View attachment 59242 The ostrich was taken at or about 195 yards. I think the warthog was 75 or less facing nearly dead on.
We shot a lot of ground squirrels before the trip. The photo is of her leaning over a hood but most of the practice was done off the sticks. I think it paid off.
Ask Loodt what happens when you shoot a .375 magnum off the hood of a truck at baboons similar to this picture.......................:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have enjoyed your report so far.

Glad you have had a great time with your daughter.

I can only imagine... perhaps a crease in the hood!

Ask Loodt what happens when you shoot a .375 magnum off the hood of a truck at baboons similar to this picture.......................:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hunting for gold ,
Again I have very much enjoyed reading your report. I'm glad your daughter could go with you.
I've had my son with me on two hunts In Africa. I can honestly say that having the some with me was just as exciting as stalking the various animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg