Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Outfitter: Bossie Mostert - @LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS
PH: Bossie Mostert
Game sought: multiple species (I don't post kill photos/list species on the internet anymore...I was plenty successful, and could have gotten some other nice trophies if I had a bigger budget.)

I recently returned from a hunt with Bossie Mostert at Limpopo Big Game Safaris. It was a good hunt and Bossie runs a nice operation. I would gladly recommend him as an outfitter and PH. He has a good reputation on AH and I will concur with others that he is a quality outfitter.

I did not bring a rifle for this hunt. I did not want to deal with one more thing the worry about and Qatar's rules were ambiguous at best. Bossie charged nothing to use his firearms and the two that I used were good set-ups and got the job done. I appreciate it when outfitters do not nickel and dime clients on rifle rental. I understand some who charge a little, but some rental prices I have seen I could have paid for an entire rifle by the end of the trip. There was no charge on the rental with Bossie, and no unexpected or surprise fees.

I spent a bit of time and headache getting a COVID PCR test before the trip, but the lady at RSA customs didn't even unfold the paper (although the airline did check it thoroughly). On the way home, I got a PCR test at a local clinic, which worked fine and the results were on my phone within 24 hours and Bossie printed them out for me at camp. I found out on my way home while at the airport that they offer 15-minute rapid testing at JNB as well which is another option on your way back. Currently, you need an actual PCR test to get into South Africa, but an antigen or PCR test will work to get back into the States if you are an American. I still think a test in town is a good option and to use the airport deal as a backup. Better to play it safe in my mind.
Screenshot_20210408-091741.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The game was abundant and the trophy quality was really good. If I had more money, I would have gotten more animals, and a few more really quality trophies that I had to reluctantly pass up. The hunting was good but the brush was thick due to the time of year and a wetter than normal rainy season. I planned the trip for March so I was not surprised. While I would have loved it to be a bit more open, it was plenty huntable and the game was there. I saw good sable and nyala that I would have loved to have had a budget for, among many other species. There was an absolute pile of crocs on one of the properties...like so many that you had to be careful around any standing water...plenty of nasty old ones too. If you are looking for a croc in South Africa, Bossie would be a good option.
Screenshot_20210408-091816.png

During the hunt, when we had to travel to town to get my COVID test, Bossie took me by his newly built lodge and accommodation. On this particular hunt, we stayed on the hunting property, but Bossie has done a nice job on his lodge and put a lot of work into it. It is ready for hunters, but he is clearly continuing to improve on it at a rapid pace. It will act as a home base for many future clients and is centrally located to the many properties he hunts. He does a lot of night and specialty animal hunts, so the central location when hopping from place to place will be nice.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210408-091755.png

Bossie worked hard for me and wanted me to get the best trophies possible. I am not always the most patient hunter, so it was good to have Bossie there telling me, "hold off, we can do better." We always did. He knew the quality of animals he had where we hunted, and knew when it was time to shoot or time to wait.

I had a deposit down with Bossie for a while as the hunt had to be postponed due to COVID. He was great a communicating with me, even if there was not any real new news. I appreciated this. When your deposit is out there it can be unsettling. The times are tough and it sucks for everyone, but I felt my money was safe with Bossie and knew the hunt would happen.

My regret from the hunt is that with all of the COVID business, I was reluctant to bring my wife along with our kids at home. While traveling was more challenging than normal, bringing her along would have been great and I wish I had.

FLIGHT/TRAVEL DETAILS DURING COVID: I flew with Qatar. The ticket was $1100 when I got it in January 2021, so I cannot complain on the price. Once in the air, the service was good, but the weeks leading up to the hunt were a pain as they kept switching flights. Some were minor and really inconsequential, but two of them I had to call to get different options. If you book with Qatar you need to check your reservation frequently as sometimes they email you there is a change and other times they do not. Once they changed the day I left RSA, but I called and they changed it back to the correct date with an alternate route. The other big change was when they changed a flight and left me with a 45 minute layover at JFK which would have been quite literally impossible to make. Four phone calls and four representatives later I got an acceptable alternative. Good news: I had four big flights with Qatar...JFK-DOH, DOH-JNB, JNB-DOH and DOH-DFW. Three of those flights I had 3-4 seats to lay down on because the flights only had 90-100 people on them. Basically, flying during COVID is a pain, but worth it once you start hunting. I fully expected flying during COVID to be more of a hassle than before, but it is not a reason to postpone an Africa trip. I also suspect that many of the frequent changes will continue iron out as more people start traveling and things get back to normal.

My advice if you are on the fence about going to hunt Africa is to JUST DO IT! The outfitters and PHs are ready to give clients great hunts. Tomorrow is not promised, go hunting.

Congrats on what sounds like a hellofva successful hunt!

As a final note on Bossie. He hunts multiple countries for all kinds of game. When it comes to some of those obscure, specialty and night species, he really has his tactics down to a science. Anyone can buy a Foxpro and call themselves a night/predator hunter, but I will say that Bossie really understands how to hunt each of those obscure species he offers, and has the equipment to do it.

Thanks for the hunt report @npm352. I’ll keep Bossie in mind if I get a hankering for some croc hunting or night game.

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Perhaps a list of animals that you did kill would be nice. Guess I understand not posting pics. For me thats not an issue. Others it really can be. Thanks for the report.
Bruce

Well done!

Bossie is a great guy. And if you want to hunt night critters he is the best.

Thanks for the report. I found it well written and informative on all points that really matter - much appreciated!

And congratulations on the successful hunt!!

Thanks for the report

Outfitter: Bossie Mostert - @LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS
PH: Bossie Mostert
Game sought: multiple species (I don't post kill photos/list species on the internet anymore...I was plenty successful, and could have gotten some other nice trophies if I had a bigger budget.)

I recently returned from a hunt with Bossie Mostert at Limpopo Big Game Safaris. It was a good hunt and Bossie runs a nice operation. I would gladly recommend him as an outfitter and PH. He has a good reputation on AH and I will concur with others that he is a quality outfitter.

I did not bring a rifle for this hunt. I did not want to deal with one more thing the worry about and Qatar's rules were ambiguous at best. Bossie charged nothing to use his firearms and the two that I used were good set-ups and got the job done. I appreciate it when outfitters do not nickel and dime clients on rifle rental. I understand some who charge a little, but some rental prices I have seen I could have paid for an entire rifle by the end of the trip. There was no charge on the rental with Bossie, and no unexpected or surprise fees.

I spent a bit of time and headache getting a COVID PCR test before the trip, but the lady at RSA customs didn't even unfold the paper (although the airline did check it thoroughly). On the way home, I got a PCR test at a local clinic, which worked fine and the results were on my phone within 24 hours and Bossie printed them out for me at camp. I found out on my way home while at the airport that they offer 15-minute rapid testing at JNB as well which is another option on your way back. Currently, you need an actual PCR test to get into South Africa, but an antigen or PCR test will work to get back into the States if you are an American. I still think a test in town is a good option and to use the airport deal as a backup. Better to play it safe in my mind.View attachment 397037

Congrats on your successful hunt !

Well done & nice report! I had good experience with Bossie & LBGS as well.

Thanks for report. I have also done two hunts with Bossie. He never sleeps or quits drinking coffee. Planning a 3rd hunt for 2022. And DJ, Bossies' son, is a man-child that is a blast to hunt with also. DJ will someday be a great PH and he can handle a 416 Rigby with the best of them!

Congrats on a great hunt.

Congratz on a great hunt, thank you writing a good report.

Just read another thread that the Polokwane Airport is now closed which directly affects Bossie's operation.

Hope it re-opens soon.

Just read another thread that the Polokwane Airport is now closed which directly affects Bossie's operation.

Hope it re-opens soon.
I went through JNB. It really wasn't that much further and saved me the stress of yet another connection.

Thanks for report. I have also done two hunts with Bossie. He never sleeps or quits drinking coffee. Planning a 3rd hunt for 2022. And DJ, Bossies' son, is a man-child that is a blast to hunt with also. DJ will someday be a great PH and he can handle a 416 Rigby with the best of them!

DJ is a great kid. Very personable and will make a fine PH.

He worked hard for me as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg