SOUTH AFRICA: GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS From A First Time Africa Hunter

Day 7:
My last hunting day was truncated. I needed to get my Covid test for my return trip. Normally those are done (Game 4 Africa) in nearby Grahamstown. Due to a taxi strike which blocked the roads, we had to go to East London, which was a much farther drive. We left at 5 AM, got there at 7, got my test done, and then drove back to the lodge. We had a big late breakfast and then headed out one last time, in the early afternoon. We spent the day looking for the right kudu bull. I joked with Wik that it might be impossible: he seemed to only know how to find trophy bulls.

We had a couple of stalks not work out. We had a couple more wind up in bulls that were actually trophies. Irrespective of the outcome, it was so much fun to be putting stalks on such magnificent animals.

Finally, in the last hour of daylight, we put a stalk on a herd that Wik thought had a shooter bull in it. I have to confess that I have zero idea of what to look for in a management bull. Every bull I looked at either was clearly a younger bull or looked like a trophy to me. So, as I had with everything else during the week, I put my trust and faith in my professional hunter.

The herd kept moving away from us, at a steady pace. I don’t think they saw or heard, or caught our scent. They didn’t seemed spooked. They just seemed to me like they were on the move. At one point Wik’s pace was such that I was sucking wind a bit trying to keep up. And then, just when it seemed like the game was up, that daylight was going to leave us and bring the hunt to an end… we found him. He was at the bottom of a steep bluff, feeding. Wik got me set up, and told me the range was 150 yards. It was a very steep downward angle. The bull was walking away. Wik whistled. The bull looked back and turned just broadside enough to allow a shot, and I obliged. I knew it was a good hit, though I didn’t see him go down. Wik said he did see him go down, so we made our way down the steep slope. Did I mention I’m a naturally clumsy sort?

With the last moments of daylight in one direction, and the full moon rising in the other, we converged on my tenth animal of my first African hunt. I could not have been happier. I will savor those five days for the rest of my life, and they will fuel my dreams of returning to Africa to experience it again, this time with my daughter.

View attachment 404605View attachment 404606View attachment 404607View attachment 404608View attachment 404609View attachment 404610View attachment 404611View attachment 404612
Absolutely stunning and beautiful. Thank you for an outstanding write up. I felt every word. Thank you TT.

Hey Terry!
Thank you for sharing your hunting report. As your PH on this hunt it was a pleasure hunting with you and I had a great week with you. Its always great to guide a hunter who is passionate about nature and the wildlife. You took in every minute of every day and made the most of it.
Cant wait to see those Lever actions in "action" again!
All my best (y):)
Wik

Wik, it was a pleasure and an honor; I cannot imagine that a trip could have went better, and the biggest reason for that is your guidance as my PH. I am so thankful I decided to go with Game 4 Africa and even more thankful you were the one leading me. I very much want to return, this time with my daughter. And I am working hard on my hunting buddy over here. And yeah, it'll be a lever action going with me, maybe a Savage 99 this time. Again, thank you so very much.

Wik, it was a pleasure and an honor; I cannot imagine that a trip could have went better, and the biggest reason for that is your guidance as my PH. I am so thankful I decided to go with Game 4 Africa and even more thankful you were the one leading me. I very much want to return, this time with my daughter. And I am working hard on my hunting buddy over here. And yeah, it'll be a lever action going with me, maybe a Savage 99 this time. Again, thank you so very much.
@Tundra Tiger
A savage 99 in 358 loaded with 225 grain Sierra BTGK or 225 grain A Frame.
Bob

A nice thought Bob... but mine are .308 and .300 Savage. They want serious money for the less common calibers, such as .358 and .284. Heck, they want money for any of them these days.

TT, my apologies for missing your post. Wow, what a fantastic trip, and some great animals taken! Thank you for taking us along. I'll be hunting with Game 4 Africa Safaris next year around the end of May into Jun. :) This post and @everett's report has gotten me more excited about my trip. Thank you again sir for a wonderful report.

TT, my apologies for missing your post. Wow, what a fantastic trip, and some great animals taken! Thank you for taking us along. I'll be hunting with Game 4 Africa Safaris next year around the end of May into Jun. :) This post and @everett's report has gotten me more excited about my trip. Thank you again sir for a wonderful report.
You should be hitting the kudu rut just right.

T.T.,

Memorable 1st trip & I bet - planning your return started before wheel ups from Joburg to AK. A :A Thumbs Up:to PH Wik for the confidence in your caliber/round - a handload you meticulously thought out & practiced with + a well-placed 1st shot should always be our ethical 'master plan' so good on ya! Nice to see Buff Cow hunt write-up & nice pics on AH ... I wish there was more, I have inquired for my late Aug PG Hunt so maybe!? Keep Charg'in ...

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words Jaegger. In fact I got Wik to chuckle over the last few days as he listened to me plotting and scheming about how I can make trip number 2 happen. :unsure: :p The cow was my favorite part, for a multitude of

Best of wishes on your hunt. Are you hunting with Game 4 Africa too? And irrespective of the where part, do I understand you to mean you're checking into a cow hunt as well? If so what gun do you plan to use?

Hi T.T.,

My pleasure - I cannot turn down a good read on AH & there are many to choose from but there is something extra special about 1st Timer Trip Reports! Yea, truth emerges you were planning 2nd trip BEFORE (LOL) concluding your 1st hunt - it is an addiction of the purest form w/ People, Place, & Hunting.

I will be hunting w/ KMG Safaris in the E. Cape & Yes: your trip report had me :unsure:, Buff Cow add-on to my PG Hunt - huh?I did email the Owner just yesterday over thought & we shall see if any surrounding properties can support a late in the planning request - if no, Great Starter for the next return!

Caliber: CZ over/under rifle in 9.3x74 that’s collecting dust in the corner of a shop display case & just ‘begging’ me to take her home! Or, I’d be fine using the PH big bore w/ the late planning … holding thumbs something manageable emerges in 2021.

Happy trails planning your return w/ daughter as your 2x1 group - that’s just awesome!

Ciao,
Jaegger

Again, best of wishes. I look forward to your own report.

that caliber is on my bucket list. Had a chance at one in 2019 and didn't do it. HUGE mistake, in hindsight.

One of the things that's fun on here is how were are all wired different. It came down to the end on finding a load for my .45-70, and even then I know some would still question its use. I felt I had done my due diligence and was solid on its use. If I had not found a load I felt good about, I would have passed on hunting buffalo this trip, rather than use one of my host's rifles. It had to be my own gun or not at all. :E Dancing:

Have fun and may your wish list be filled.

T.T.,

Agreed, AH.com has become my ‘go-to’ site for all things Africa - hunt & non-hunting topics + ‘all viewpoints relevant even when different.’

Confidence in your fire-stick/round helps but proper bullet energy (KE) at a ‘not to exceed’ distance holds a key element w/ proper ethical hunting discussion. Your 45-70 had the proper KE for your shot distance & recovery < 50M is boots on the ground proof w/ beautiful big Buff Cow. During the colonial years in Africa, Europeans popular go-to was 9.3x62 & I bet = or more Buff hit salt w/ 9.3 than all other big bores combined but sadly the 9.3 does not produce the joules too make today’s Big Boy list of warranted calibers. In my humble opinion: minimum joules is an ethical set-point.

Search a recent & enjoyable thread on AH: “when is enough gun actually enough?” Great viewpoints across the spectrum …

BTW: Marius Owner/PH @ KMG Safari is working the phones (late thought - shame on me!) & it’s looking favorable a Buff Cow ( :E Horrified:) + Golden Wildebeest :)E Horrified:) will ‘join the party’ for my group.The magic continues …

Ciao

I sincerely hope he can line you up a cow hunt. I hope to someday hunt a bull, but I am so thankful Wik suggested the cow hunt on this trip. It's easily one of my favorite hunting memories and will remain so the rest of my days.

Happy Independence Day.

Seems you had a fantastic hunting experience! Great write up and photos! Congrats!

Thank you for sharing your hunt report, I just read it this morning, I loved your honesty, writing style and accompanying pictures.

T.T.,

Good Independence Day to you also … curious to know: what did you decide taxidermy wise for your Buff Cow? I went back for a 2nd read on your adventure & 3rd or 4th peek @ trophy pic … she’s big body and very nice length. Tanned hides make great soft side rifle cases …

P.S. Marius/KMG Safaris continues to pull off the ‘magic’ … it appears (y) w/ Buff Cow & Golden Wildebeest for my group - days won’t tick off fast enough!

Bests …

Regarding taxidermy decisions... I have other photos I could share: she was really lacking in hair. (age?) The only thing coming my way is a Euro mount. Even with the thinning hair I might have considered a shoulder mount but I was already running up a bigger tab than my financial manager (wife) was aware of simply by hunting and harvesting it. Soooo... If I was a lot wealthier than I am I might have went a different direction. However, that's not my reality. I expect to have a very nice, unique mount when the dust settles.

Makes total sense - proper hide/hair matters & not all trophies are meant for a shoulder mount. A European Mount & quality display stand w/ 8” x 12” pic will capture those lasting memories …

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg