SOUTH AFRICA: GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS From A First Time Africa Hunter

Enjoying the report! Congrats up to this point!

Day 5:
With my list completed, it became a question of what to do for the final three days. I am not independently wealthy, so after talking it over with Wik, we decided to make a go of nickel and diming it for some less expensive species that I still thought cool. Day five we headed back near the property where I killed my buffalo, to look for warthog and springbok.

It was windy again, and hot. I get that folks in South Africa think “Winter’s Coming”, to use the Game of Thrones line. Well, their idea of winter and mine differ by quite a wide margin. On day five the temperature peaked in the mid-80s (Fahrenheit).

The morning failed to turn up a warthog, at least a shooter warthog. Wik said the wind was keeping them down. We spent a lot of hours hiking, to no avail. So we gave it a rest and went to look for a springbok. Finding one wasn’t an issue. Finding one that was stalkable… well, that was another matter.

Eventually, after looking at dozens and dozens that simply ran away, we spotted one rooted to one spot, or so it seemed. I joked that the way it was just standing there, if I shot it, I was certain we’d find a suicide note next to it.

We got close enough for me to sit on the ground with the low tripod at what seemed like shooting distance. Wik ranged it at 230 yards. It was standing by a termite mound. I put the crosshairs on it, squeezed the trigger, and watched it drop. Honestly, the fact it was standing there throughout, I half expected to get down to it and find out it was shackled to the ground. Also, I find it funny that my smallest target, by far, was my farthest shot, and my biggest target, the buffalo, was my closest shot.

Springbok down, we were going to find a place to have lunch and then head back to the lodge. For my part, the wind and heat sure felt oppressive. While driving to a lunch spot, Wik said he had an idea for one more place to check, if I wanted. I did. So we drove to that spot. The far hillside was crawling with groups of pigs, including one nice boar. The stalk was on.

We had to make a really large, looping stalk, to stay out of sight and get the wind in our favor. Eventually we poked over a rise to see the boar with a couple of sows and a passel of young ones. I don’t know if they saw us or heard us, but they started to move and quickly. The boar started to go with them, but paused for just a moment. It was all I needed. I was already set up on the tripod and when he stopped I shot. He went down right away. The distance was 110 yards. I now had a couple of other species I hadn’t planned one, but was darned happy to have.

A couple of notes on Day 4 I forgot to mention… During the night, preceding Day 4, I had my biggest shock. I got up to pee in the middle of the night. I went to look out the chalet door. When I pulled back the curtain, there was a zebra on the other side, not 15 feet away, facing the door. I about fell over backwards and he about came out of his skin trying to reverse course. It’s possible we both just about soiled ourselves. Then, my day started early: there is a ten hour time difference from Alaska. My daughters had a choir concert that was live streamed on YouTube, so I got up to watch it. And finally, during the stalk on the buffalo… as Wik was sizing up the cow watching us, I noticed a duiker off to the left, watching us. I was worried it’d spook and have an effect on the buffalo. I whispered to Wik “We’ve got eyes on us.” Apparently this is the wrong thing to say to a PH who is focused on an alert buffalo. He took it to mean another buffalo was coming from a different spot. This comment caused him some momentary angst until I clarified. In the future I’ll try to be more specific.

P1010943.jpg
P1020028.jpg
P1020040.jpg
P1020053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 6:
On the next to last hunt day I had a couple of options. I wanted a second impala. I have two daughters and I decided I wanted an impala hide for each. Also, I was offered a chance to harvest a management kudu from the property the lodge was on. So we set out that morning to find one or the other.

After a couple of miles of hiking, we spotted a small herd on the side of a high steep hill. There was one nice ram. The stalk was once again on. Wik got us to within just over 200 yards before we ran out of places to go. He set up the tripod, and I got my gun settled on it. He gave me a range of 209 yards. Just like with my kudu, there was a pretty good dead branch across the vitals. And just like with the kudu he whispered “Just shoot in front.” I did. I lost sight of it but felt like it was a good hit. He thought he saw it go down. Again, we waited for the dogs, just in case, and again they weren’t needed. We found the ram piled up maybe 50 yards downhill from where I shot it. I had impala number two.

We ate at the lodge for lunch and rested a bit before going out again in the evening. Our search for a management bull kudu came up empty, though we saw a lot of kudu. The one possibility, the closest we got was 300 yards, and the light was fading fast. Alas, it didn’t happen that night, but it was still a terrific day.

The pictures... the herd was on that hillside, right about to the right of that tree to the left of Wik. The other photo shows where we were down below the herd.

P1020106.jpg
P1020118.jpg
P1020119 - Copy.jpg
P1020135.jpg

For all the kind words... thank you, sincerely. I'm amazed I haven't put you good folks to sleep yet. :p:ROFLMAO:
Not at all, you have a writing style that I have enjoyed. You are really plowing through your hunt days!

Day 7:
My last hunting day was truncated. I needed to get my Covid test for my return trip. Normally those are done (Game 4 Africa) in nearby Grahamstown. Due to a taxi strike which blocked the roads, we had to go to East London, which was a much farther drive. We left at 5 AM, got there at 7, got my test done, and then drove back to the lodge. We had a big late breakfast and then headed out one last time, in the early afternoon. We spent the day looking for the right kudu bull. I joked with Wik that it might be impossible: he seemed to only know how to find trophy bulls.

We had a couple of stalks not work out. We had a couple more wind up in bulls that were actually trophies. Irrespective of the outcome, it was so much fun to be putting stalks on such magnificent animals.

Finally, in the last hour of daylight, we put a stalk on a herd that Wik thought had a shooter bull in it. I have to confess that I have zero idea of what to look for in a management bull. Every bull I looked at either was clearly a younger bull or looked like a trophy to me. So, as I had with everything else during the week, I put my trust and faith in my professional hunter.

The herd kept moving away from us, at a steady pace. I don’t think they saw or heard, or caught our scent. They didn’t seemed spooked. They just seemed to me like they were on the move. At one point Wik’s pace was such that I was sucking wind a bit trying to keep up. And then, just when it seemed like the game was up, that daylight was going to leave us and bring the hunt to an end… we found him. He was at the bottom of a steep bluff, feeding. Wik got me set up, and told me the range was 150 yards. It was a very steep downward angle. The bull was walking away. Wik whistled. The bull looked back and turned just broadside enough to allow a shot, and I obliged. I knew it was a good hit, though I didn’t see him go down. Wik said he did see him go down, so we made our way down the steep slope. Did I mention I’m a naturally clumsy sort?

With the last moments of daylight in one direction, and the full moon rising in the other, we converged on my tenth animal of my first African hunt. I could not have been happier. I will savor those five days for the rest of my life, and they will fuel my dreams of returning to Africa to experience it again, this time with my daughter.

P1020149.jpg
P1020154.jpg
P1020158.jpg
P1020163.jpg
P1020166.jpg
P1020169.jpg
P1020171.jpg
P1020191.jpg

Final thoughts:
I cannot recommend Game 4 Africa highly enough. I feel blessed to have had the chance to hunt with them, and if I am able I will again. They would be the perfect place for my daughter to experience hunting Africa and I have zero plans to look elsewhere.

I had thoughts before going, and during, and then after, about the topic of fences. I spent a LOT of time going over threads on this site, listening to the opinions of so many. I have no illusions about this being anything like the Africa of Hemingway or Roosevelt, apart from the game species. But I am completely at peace with my decision. Did I see fences? Yes. However, most of the properties we hunted were in the neighborhood of 20,000 acres or so, and I saw animals navigate fences with enough ease to know the fences are not completely restrictive. Would I enjoy the experience of something entirely free range in another part of Africa? Yes, I do find the idea appealing. But I’m also realistic. I’m likely never going to have the money for something like that, nor do I believe I would enjoy it exponentially more than I enjoyed this. I know I could experience what I did this time several times over for what that would cost. The animals we hunted were clearly wild animals, and reacted like animals I have hunted in Alaska and Kansas. If you’re not certain about what your expectations are, or you’re weighing what you want versus what you can afford, hopefully these words will be helpful. For me, I am satisfied.

Biggest advice I could give: use good people and resources to help you, if you feel you need it (I did)… get your ducks lined up before you go; have a system you feel comfortable with… do take the time to practice from sticks or a tripod or whatever you’ll be using; it’s time well spent… leave your ego behind; listen to your PH. If you’ve taken the time to do your research, trust who you’ve chosen. I have one friend I hope goes back with me. He’ll LOVE it and thrive. I have another friend that I don’t think could do it, having to follow someone else’s lead on everything.

What I experienced was a first, a sample size of one. Read into it what you will. However, this is what worked for me, and on this initial trip to Africa, it worked well. I could not be happier with the results.

Perhaps Everett will chime in, or better yet, post his own report. He can verify or repudiate my story. :p :ROFLMAO:

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. I am so thankful for the sacrifices of so many that provide me with the freedoms to hunt the way I do.

P1020187.jpg
P1020214.jpg
P1020217.jpg
P1020225.jpg

Great report. Your positive attitude and ability to appreciate your experience each and every day you were there added to your story. There is a line from the movie Kung Fu Panda that i like — “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that’s why we call it the present”.

yhc... That started before I got on the plane to head home... :ROFLMAO:

By the look of your new profile photo, it looks like you had a good time as well. Congrats.

Congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing with us!

Love the report straight forward and honest to the point.
Well done on using lever actions rifles in the Eastern Cape that is not something you hear off very day.

Great Kudu trophy and thank you for adding the bit in the fences I really get annoyed when people think that as soon as you put up a fence wild animals are tame and stupid.

@Tundra Tiger excellent report! I am very happy for you that your first African safari went so well. I do hope you get the opportunity to go back with your daughter and hunt again with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS .

Your report brought back many good memories of the two hunts I have done with Wik. Actually, one of my daughters and a friend of hers were going to be overlapping with you last week but they had a delayed COVID test result and couldn't get on the plane in Dallas. They had to reschedule for a few weeks down the road.

Took me right back to my own chalet and the wonderful variety of species to encounter. Congrats on your own great hunt and thank you for the pictures and stories! I especially love how they carry out the trophies-it shows respect for the animal, the meat and the hunters cape/skin. You and I have a bunch of very similar photos-great minds must think alike. . .:ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross