SOUTH AFRICA: Game 4 Africa Safaris 2018 Brothers In Arms

We figured that shot probably bumped the animals from the next field but we sneaked in there for a look anyway. We were standing in the shadows on the edge glassing an empty field and Wik said something to the effect that it didn't look like I was going to get a warthog but would I be interested in shooting one more impala. Would I?!! A pretty ram had fed over the hill and was nibbling at 157 yards. Slowly onto the sticks and wait, wait, not yet, now broadside. Follow the front leg up, right on the shoulder. It was a perfect shot and despite one long leap off the hill, the ram was easy to find in the brush below. It was the perfect shot to end the hunt with-and this ram had the goal post shape horns to go with my first one that had diamond shape to his horns. Very cool!

IMG_4181.JPG

Last edited:
Eland filet for dinner that night. Almost as good as the waterbuck we had but the waterbuck was well aged and marinated and melted in my mouth. I watch my weight carefully but on waterbuck night and eland filet night I allowed myself seconds. And I admit I ate the "milk tart" for dessert. It was all great food. The last morning here we got up early to pack and a hot breakfast. Scrambled eggs and warthog sausage-I thing Wik knows that is my favorite here, that and gram's square biscuits! It is cooler this morning and low damp clouds fill the valley and surround the lodge. Must be time to go home. . .
THE RETURN PLAN: I had always wanted to come here but never thought I would be able to afford the trip. I figured out how to make it happen once so a return trip is a certain reality, not just a dream. There are lots of friends I want to do this with and I bet I can get my wife to come back and I think I could keep her busy and happy despite her absence of interest in hunting.
There is alot of Africa I want to see but I want to come back here at least once more. So I made a list of the animals I still want to hunt so I have figured out what the trip would cost and now I know exactly what to save from each paycheck and every month. It is doable and I want to come back in two years. My list is simple for now but I keep remembering those hulking black "cattle" and the wrecked tree and their sober stares from across a canyon or across the road in the dark. There has to be a way I could budget one of them in!
When I come back I want to hunt with both the boys, Wik and Colin as well as a day or two with John. It is something I should have done this trip but didn't know it yet. And we, my wife and myself will spend some time at the photography reserves. Pumba has a spa my wife would surely enjoy. Hunting alone I could probably do what I want in a week but maybe a friend or my brother would come and we would want to add a day or three. I'll make it happen, if you haven't got dreams all you have are memories-and right now I have both an excellent dreams and excellent memories.

DSC_0234 (1).JPG
DSC_0395.JPG
DSC_0405.JPG
DSC_0484 (1).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0234 (1).JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0484 (1).JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 296
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful adventure and some beautiful and way different photos!
I am sure you’ll get back and claim you a dagga boy while your wife worries!
Congratulations on all the great trophies!

Welcome to the African addiction, there is no known cure but to keep on hunting.

Beautiful trophys awesome hunt

This was a great recap with some really outstanding photography.

Well done!

John, that’s a great write up. Well done. I am glad you enjoyed your trip. Reading through made me remember my trip last year. Good memories indeed.

I have really enjoyed your hunt report. You have some nice trophies and some great memories. Thanks for sharing some great pics. Brings me back to africa. I did have one question. Your brother took a gemsbuck that was young and not a trophy animal. You mentioned the need to talk with Wik about having your brother shoot it. What was his response? You mentioned it was so out of character. Makes me wonder...... Thanks
Bruce

I have really enjoyed your hunt report. You have some nice trophies and some great memories. Thanks for sharing some great pics. Brings me back to africa. I did have one question. Your brother took a gemsbuck that was young and not a trophy animal. You mentioned the need to talk with Wik about having your brother shoot it. What was his response? You mentioned it was so out of character. Makes me wonder...... Thanks
Bruce

I have to believe there was some sort of misunderstanding. I've hunted with Wik twice, a 10 day hunt two years ago and now a 7 day hunt. Wik has never asked me to shoot something that was sub par. Quite the opposite.

Fantastic report, great pics, nice trophies, congrats !

Sorry about that Gemsbok. On my first safari, my PH told me to shoot an Impala that was in thick underbrush, turned out it was a young animal. So he said, my mistake, this one is on me, we´ll find a bigger one. And we did.
I have kept both trophies.

Congrats on a great safari, and thanks for the detailed write up. Beautiful trophies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross