SOUTH AFRICA: Game 4 Africa Hunting Report

Hustad

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Dates July 2nd- July 15th

My father and I were fortunate to hunt with Game4 Africa, Wik and his family for 12 days. 10 full days of Hunting. I will break the trip down into pre-hunt contact, day by day during the hunt and post hunt.

Pre-hunt- This was my first trip to Africa for both my father and I. Naturally, I had alot of questions about the hunt, travel , bringing a weapon in, method of hunting, etc. You name it, I asked it! Wik was outstanding answering all my questions, providing secure methods of deposit with easy to follow directions for my banker. Wik procured taxidermy quotes for me, recommended travel services as well as overnight arrangements in Joburg. All was exactly what he described if not better!

Day 1- Wik and his girlfriend picked us up from the airport. They made sure we were comfy in our chalets, sighted in rifles and had an early dinner of Springbok.

Day2- First day of hunting. We chose to target Kudu on a 125,ooo acre farm. We saw over 30 bulls, with a few exceptional bulls but no shots were presented. I missed a chip shot at 285 yrds on a baboon. We returned back to the lodge to wonderful drinks, a few games of darts and dinner.

Day 3- Go big or go home. We chose to target Cape Buffalo. We started out at daybreak after a wonderful breakfast of warthog grillers, eggs and fruit. We glassed for a while and were able to find a bachelor group of 6 bulls. We got the wind right and made a stalk. I shot the bull on the shoulder at 50 yrds. The bull ran off and required a follow up shot. Wik, his brother Collin and the trackers did an amazing job keeping everyone safe and tacking my bull in very thick, dense brush. We returned to the lodge for lunch and a nap. We hunted the afternoon and came upon a beautiful Nyala ram. I shot him at 160 yrds across a pond. My first 2 african animals, Cape Buffalo and Nyala! Dinner was stellar. Kudu liver wrapped in sheep fat as a starter followed by Gemsbok steaks and plentiful wine and spirits.

Day4- Back after Kudu. We hunted another area and again saw many bulls. We finally settled in on a bull across a valley. I connected at 302 yrds on a beautiful bull. The trackers were amazing in the bush carrying the animal out. We ate lunch in the field and then were after blue wildbeast. This was super challenging but we were able to connect with an old bull with no teeth left in his head at last light. We returned back to the lodge to springbok steaks, wine and spirits.

Day 5- We hunted the wide open plains for steenbok, gemsbok and springbok. Game was plentiful on all farms. This farm required some very long shots. Steenbok was close and easy. Then we get to gemsbok. I pulled my shot and shot him dead in the guts. We spent the next couple hours trying to pin the animal out of the herd. Wik finally saw a trickle of blood and we were able to get a follow up shot in the animal. This was a frustrating day as a hunter due to my poor shot placement, but also for an outfitter. Not once did I hear Wik complain about the shot or the due diligence required to recover the animal. On the way out we came across a nice blesbok that my father took at 200 yrds, his first african animal. There might have been some light hearted ribbing about my shooting after a few brandys but all well deserved.

Day 6-We targeted Zebra but a Zebra hunt quickly turned into a Waterbuck hunt. I was able to shoot a massive waterbuck at 209 yrds. Once again, the trackers were amazing. They walked out with the waterbuck as quickly as I did just carrying my rifle! Back for a quick lunch then out again. We were able to catch a few stallions in a field. After looking over all of them we decided which one to shoot. I made a 280 yrd shot on a stellar stallion. The guys made short work of him and we were off hunting again. We were after an impala for my father, but I told Wik if we caught a Kudu down low I wanted my dad to shoot him. He has a bad back and knees and was not able to hike in the steep terrain. As we rounded a corner several cows busted out of a water hole. We had my dad get out and he was able to kill a great bull at 290 yrds. You couldn't have smacked the smile off his face!
That evening we took a night drive. I was fortunate enough to kill a giant porcupine. A magnificent animal! We again celibrated with find brandy and wine.

Day 7- We targeted impala and warthog. My dad was able to kill a nice warthog and I was able to shoot a nice impala. Very relaxing day after a long day 6. Lots of naps in the afternoon and a nice easy pace.

Day 8- Back after Springbok. This time we had sandbags! Dad and I both killed beautiful rams. Shots were 300+ on both but were much easier shooting off bags. That afternoon, after lunch in the bush we were after blesbok for me. I connected on a big wide ram. As we were exiting the farm, we came upon 4 large red heartbeast rams. They were not on my list but I couldn't pass up when I saw them! We had 3 blown stalks before finally caught up with a great ram.

Day 9- We were after Eland. By far the most physically demanding hunt I had. Dad spent most of the day hanging out with one of the trackers. We started at day break seeing lots of cows and small bulls, but nothing to shoot. Late in the afternoon we got on a big bull but were busted when the wind swirled. We checked a few more spots and found a large group of cows and a few small males. We stalked within 100 yrds and just watched. As we waited, a very large bull crested the mountain and came down to the group we were watching. I was able to kill him at 160 yrds at 4:30 in the afternoon. With some creative driving we were able to get the winch to him to get him off the hillside! By far my favorite animal to hunt and most delish!

Day 10- Rain, Rain and more rain. Very lazy day with lots of food and naps. We were also able to go into town and tour the family's meat market. We were also able to meet with the taxidermist and view his entire studio. We also had time to watch rugby and spend some great time just relaxing. We had a small break in the rain and I was able to shoot an egyptian goose.

Day 11- The day was cold and rough. Dad was able to kill a nice impala and I was able to kill a nice warthog. We hunted baboons most of the day. They are bastards! I plan to return with baboons being my number one target!

Day 12- We had a great breakfast, settled up and headed to the airport. Wik, Collin and his parents were unbelievable hosts.

Post Hunt- Everything exceeded my expectations, lodging, food, quality of game, knowledge and experience of the guides. We were treated like family from the time we arrived until we left. The entire staff catered to all our needs. We had the same couple trackers every day, but when we hunted larger game we bought more help. I enjoyed each and every member of the Game 4 Africa Staff. Wik and Collin as well as their parents made this a highly enjoyable time. All of the family would play darts, relive the days hunt and have some cocktails and appetizers as we waited for dinner to be served. It was a good thing we walked as much as we did or I would have gained 20 pounds. The food was simply amazing. We requested that we eat wild game at every meal. Wik and Collin went to great lengths to ensure we had several different cuts from a wide variety of game. It was simply mouthwatering! Wik followed up with FB messages and is continuing to help as we finalize taxidermy work. I highly recommend Game4 Africa Safaris. Please do not hesitate to PM me or message me on facebook for pictures of the animals we took. I will be going back sooner than later! There are many baboons that need killed and a sable with my name all over him!

0E178D55-62B6-4564-A260-651223897EC1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a fine hunt! But as we say here on AH, pictures or it didn't happen! Another on a long and growing list of great hunts and happy hunters!

Congrats on a fine hunt! But as we say here on AH, pictures or it didn't happen! Another on a long and growing list of great hunts and happy hunters!
Just added pics!

man! Talk about a target rich environment! You had a heck of a first African hunt! Congrats.... I don't see the pictures.

Thanks for sharing with us, congrats! Ya'll took some nice trophies!

Very nice trophies! Congratulations!

Nice eland!! And yes they are fun to hunt!

Josh, I had a blast guiding you guys. It was great to read your report and relive the memories.

Cant wait to see that Man Cave one day! :D

Regards
Wik

Congrats, very good trophies !

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a fantastic first safari! It's great that you had the opportunity to hunt with your father in Africa.

@Hustad Great report and lots of fantastic animals. I missed a baboon too on my hunt, but I did manage to beat Colin and Wik one night in darts!

Thanks for the report and pictures, well done. What's left for your next trip

Congratulations.
Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross