SOUTH AFRICA: Frontier Safaris September 2016

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Therack, May 1, 2017.

1. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Arrived at Frontier Safaris on Sept. 9, 2016 after the PH Jason picked us up from the Port Elizabeth airport. Sighted in the guns and retired to the boma for a fire and a meal of roast chicken and impala stew.
    IMG_1244.jpg
    Day 1:
    A light drizzle in the morning had the animals sitting tight. I collected my first Africa trophy, black wildebeest, I can't begin to describe the feeling. DSC00524.JPG DSC00539.JPG
    After a visit to the skinning shed we enjoyed lasagna with fish and chips for lunch. The afternoon hunt didn't yield any trophy animals and again we retired to the boma for a fire accompanied by kudu steak and pork for dinner.
    IMG_1246.jpg IMG_1251.jpg
    Day 2:
    Following breakfast we had a couple of failed stalks. Lunch was hamburgers and chicken, I'm realizing I will be gaining weight on this hunt. Passed on some gemsbuck and harvested a cull impala. Later in the afternoon harvested a cull Blesbuck. Dinner was T bones and soup.
    DSC00575.JPG DSC00586.JPG DSC00583.JPG

2. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Day 3:
    First thing in the morning I made a bad shot on a white Blesbuck, after a couple of hours made a follow up shot and finished the job. Lunch was Blesbuck steak and bobote. I harvested an impala in the early afternoon. Loaded up and off we went. Found my kudu and double lunged him at 200 yards. My better half was along for the afternoon hunt and watched me harvest 2 animal. Only in Africa can you harvest 3 animals in a day. Dinner was grilled impala loin and impala roast. DSC00625.JPG DSC00595.JPG DSC00612.JPG DSC00655.JPG IMG_1256.jpg

Day 4:

Foggy morning in the low country so went up high in search of a Blesbuck and I connected. Back for a lunch of braised gemsbuck and Shepard's pie. The afternoon hunt yielded a bushbuck that we had to drag out of the thick, thorn brush. Drove through the town of Alicedale to get to the bushbuck spot. Dinner was gemsbuck roast and chicken. DSC00695.JPG DSC00741.JPG DSC00716.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017

3. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Day 5:
    After the normal breakfast of eggs, sausage, bacon and fruit we hiked a canyon looking for gemsbuck, saw a trophy but couldn't get close enough. Late in the morning found a trophy gemsbuck while glossing. 180 yard shot and I had my trophy. After a drop at the skinning shed had a lasagna and kudu steak lunch. Had a few unsuccessful stalks in the afternoon and retired to the boma for kudu stew and Blesbuck loin. DSC00774.JPG DSC00804.JPG DSC00818.JPG

Day 6:
    Lunch was hamburgers and chicken. I missed a jackal at 220 yards in the morning. Had a couple of unsuccessful stalks for springbuck in the afternoon. Dinner was T bone steaks. DSC00843.JPG DSC00831.JPG DSC00841.JPG

Day 7:

Spent the morning in search of warthog, didn't see a good one. Lunch was impala steak and babootie. During the afternoon hunt I elected to harvest a warthog sow. Loaded up and found a springbuck to go after. After a lengthy stalk took him at 180 yards. Loaded up and went looking for a duiker at sundown, success. Harvested 3 animals in 4 hours! This finished my package of 12 animals in 7 days of hunting. Dinner was lamb chops, warthog kabobs with rooster brood and bone soup.
    DSC00851.JPG DSC00868.JPG DSC00894.JPG DSC00911.JPG DSC00926.JPG DSC00934.JPG DSC00944.JPG

4. cls

cls AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
    Thanks for the report, looks like you were very successful and had a great time.

5. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    Congrats and thanks for sharing!

6. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Day 8:
    Woke up to a light rain and took the day off to rest. The hunt was scheduled for 10 days. What to do? Buy more animals, of course.

Day 9:
    Woke up to fog and made spotting a challenge in the morning. Late in the morning stalked a group of zebra and took the largest from the group. Went to the skinning shed and then a lunch of lasagna with fish and chips. The afternoon had several unsuccessful stalks on blue wildebeest. Dinner was springbuck roast and kudu stew.
    DSC00961.JPG DSC00967.JPG DSC00992.JPG DSC01046.JPG

Day 10:
    After several unsuccessful stalks on blue wildebeest I finally connected on one late in the morning. Lunch was hamburgers and and chicken. In the afternoon we toured the taxidermist where my mounts would be done and did all the paperwork. Dinner was zebra filet and wildebeest steak.
    DSC01065.JPG DSC01102.JPG DSC01103.JPG DSC01054.JPG

RGRCD and flyfishaz like this.

7. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Dates: September 10-19, 2016
    Operator: Frontier Safaris South Africa owned by Barry Burchell
    PH: Jason Wicks
    Tracker/skinner: Zola
    Animals taken: 14
    Hunt length: 10 days
    Gun: Browning a-bolt 30-06
    Ammo: 150 Gr Barnes ttsx

I don't have any complaints other than I had to leave at the end of the hunt. The food was outstanding as well as the laundry and cleaning staff. I saw plenty of animals everyday and felt like the PH wasn't afraid to pass on animals to find a larger one. The lodge is very comfortable with private chalets and bathrooms. Every evening there were snacks, drinks and a fire waiting for us in the boma when we returned from hunting. The lodge sits in the middle of 70,000+ continuous acres so there is no driving from ranch to ranch to hunt, when you leave the lodge you are hunting. The skinning shed was very nice and kept extremely clean. Trophy care was good and I was pleased with the taxidermy work. The taxidermy shop is owned by the lodge and had everything done and delivered to my door in 7 months. My girlfriend did day trips to Addo Elephant Park, Pumba Game Reserve, Elephant safari lodge for elephant riding and feeding and a spa day in Port Elizabeth. The ladies in the office were excellent in lining up these trips. She also accompanied me on a few afternoon hunts and the PH was very accommodating. Barry and his staff were excellent and I cannot think of anything I would change. DSC00579.JPG DSC01118.JPG DSC00917.JPG DSC00939.JPG DSC00949.JPG DSC00951.JPG DSC00778.JPG DSC00661.JPG DSC00564.JPG

8. Bill Kossmann

Bill Kossmann AH Member

Member of:
    Alberta Fish & Game Association, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (Alberta), Red Deer Fish & Game Association, SCI (Central Alberta)
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm looking forward to uploading my report in mid-2019; I can hardly wait.

9. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Thank you for sharing the hunt report! You did very well.

10. Eeleel

Eeleel AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Excellent information and a true representation of your hunt. Thank you, I hope to hunt there in 2018.
    Did you see any Sable or Buffalo.

11. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    DSC01121.JPG DSC01123.JPG DSC01124.JPG

Eeleel likes this.

12. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Thanks for sharing your hunt.

13. flyfishaz

flyfishaz AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Jaco Prinsloo who was my PH in Africa now works there. If you hunt with him I guarantee you will have a great hunt.

14. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Congrats on your hunt, and thanks for sharing !

15. dory

dory AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand . Namibia .
    It looks like one of the PHs is wearing a side arm in one of your photos ?
    If so it is something I havnt seen before .
    I hope it wasnt to keep you under control after a few to many .
    :P Cowboy:

16. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Congrats, great pictures and memories. The lodge looks beautiful!