SOUTH AFRICA: First Trip To South Africa With 3S Safaris

David S LaDuke

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I really had no where to turn to finding such a site like this, or finding a comfortable Outfitter or PH. I found 3S Safaris buy sure Luck Really. There's so many Outfitters all over Africa as I whole. With outstanding PH' s.
I am an Elkhunter its what I love to hunt the most. I've chased Elk all over North America. But always since age of 25 wanted to hunt Africa and its awesome trophies. But thought its a rich mans hunting trip.
I'm now 50 and Through 3S Safaris run by Kent Shaw, and his PH Hennie Van Jaarsveld, I found them and started texting Kent, it lastly became phone calls, and I chose one of there packages.
Well, in April I made that 20 hour flight from Chicago to Johannesburg, to East London to pursue a dream 25 years in the making to come true.
I met Hennie and his girlfriend at the airport with hand shakes and bright smiles, in an hour in his truck Hennie made me feel like family quickly. I took my crossbow over there to. Kent coached me about the African airports as well. Kent's been to Africa a few times hunting as well.

The lodges they use are like 5 star resorts. I stayed at Grey's Gift Lodge which to me was like a huge castle. 1st class fellow hunters. Food was unbelievable, has a pool, fire pit, had my own private room, laundry done every day. I felt like I was in a dream and I had not even hunted to this point. Give 3s Safaris.com a call. Only outfitter I will use for many reasons. Hennie is class act gentleman as well as PH.
1 point let me make so clear, is I did not know a true mature TROPHY in the field of Hennie would of said fire or shoot I would have trusted him with my life. The point I wanted to make was Hennie wants his clients to harvest True Mature Trophies of each species. This outfit goes the extra mile to make sure your having fun in your hunt. Want to stalk, he stalks. Want to sit in a blind, we sat or drive and cover ground as well.
My package included Kudu Bull, Blue Wildebeest, Blesbuck, Impala, Warthog, Duiker, Spring buck or mountain Reedbuck. They worked with me and let me swap last 2 listed for Bushbuck. And as fate would shine on me, I got all my animals and Added a Mountain Reedbuck. I did not get my Warthog, only because that last day I could not shoot his 300 mag To save my life. I got 3 cracks at 3 big hogs but could not finish the job. why I'm still thinking about it even now. I got my Blesbuck and Bushbuck with crossbow stalking, and the rest with Hennies awesome 300 mag with the best optics on the market. I felt great shooting at 200 yards and better with it. That suppressor makes that mag like shooting a cap gun, literally. Zero kick.
I got to see so much game on my trip. and each hunt was so different for the species I harvested, that was the best part. I cried leaving literally bald like a baby. I felt like I was leaving family.

Already have my list in the works for August of 2018. I keep in contact with Kent and Hennie, I have any questions they answer quickly. If you are a person like me who had waited 25 years to go to Africa don't wait, do it. Give Kent a shout and he will get you in contact with Hennie to.

GREATEST thrill of my life in hunting. Be careful, You go Its an addiction. I want to get a crack at the MOST annoying animal in africa on my next trip, and that's the Baboon. And oh Ya, they have porcupines the size of a small car. no joke. I'm writing this because if you want to go hunt Africa Go do it, at least once in your life. It's so AMAZING. I went in April 2017. the weather was very hot. but I live in Midwest, used to hot weather.

Seeing Rhinos in the wild and Other big game just made me in awe of that Magic place. Next year Eland is on my top list. Aim straight and shoot straight. See you maybe in the fields of Africa one day. I hope to get a Sable someday, would be my dream hunt there. I saw 5 in the wild and man I just looked on in so much awe.
Give my guys a call. Nicest guys I ever met. Tell them David sent you.

20170401_131643.jpg
20170405_213209.jpg
20170404_131417.jpg
20170404_172429.jpg
20170401_180909.jpg
20170403_110030.jpg
20170403_171807.jpg
received_10156010798021982.jpeg

Good for you! Thanks for the report, and welcome to the club! Now the wait begins to get the trophies home, and the next trip.

Welcome to AH. That's an intro.

Congrats on your hunt and your trophies!

Now is definitely a great time to hunt sable- heck they're almost as cheap as kudu!

Congrats on your safari and thanks for sharing!

Welcome aboard David. I too thought hunting Africa was a rich man's game. After a bit of research you quickly come to the realization that it is very affordable. You will find AH addicting, almost as much so as hunting Africa itself.

Nice hunt report. Love the bushbuck.

Good writeup. Another hunt planned? Yep, nobody goes just once. (y)

Congrats, welcome to the addiction site.

Welcome to AH and congrats on your hunt !

Nice report. Congrats and thanks for sharing. Heck of a bushbuck too!

Congrats sir!

You look to of had one nice hunt. Great animals and that bushbuck is a dandy.

You can find sable way cheaper that 7500 now if you look for them.

If you shop around, you can find outfitters offering them for 4-5k. I can point you to some good outfits if you pm me.

Glad your dream finally came true, great hunt & trophies. Forrest

:whistle::whistle::whistle:Congrats, another addict on our hands!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg