SOUTH AFRICA: First Time Hunting In Africa With Karoo Wild Safaris

Clayton d

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
After a year or so of doing homework and research i finally had the opportunity to get out and hunt in Africa . My father and I contacted Karoo Wild safaris and set a date . In total 5 us would be going. (Two hunting and three observers) We all agreed we wanted to do a management/cull hunt. Being it was my first trip overseas with a rifle I had a few concerns and questions. Luckily most of the questions I had were already answered on africahunting.

The night we landed in Johannesburg after the long trip from Atlanta. we stayed at the afton guest lodge . Had an amazing steak dinner. after a few beers we decided to call it a night .
Mr. X from afton helped us with all the proper paperwork and locations we needed to go for all of the police service..

We landed in port Elizabeth and started our journey to Karoo . It was only about a hour drive from the airport to the haaspoort lodge. After arrival we settled in our rooms and wanted to sight our weapons. Luckily they handled the trip very well.
IMG_2903.JPG

The first trip out we spotted some impala and decided to try out luck. A few miles of walking later I successfully got a nice impala! Being it was my first shot ever in Africa I was a bit nervous .. luckily my shot was a good. Ha
IMG_2950.JPG

During our first stalk ,victor noticed a impala that had a broken horn and wanted removed from the heArd. The hunt was on again. We spotted him once again and tried to cut him off on the other side of a hill . We waiting for a few hours and our patience paid off.
IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

The next day the weather was kinda crappy so we decided to call it off and try again in the morning . We jump in the truck and try scouting .we can acros some springbok and decided to test our luck.. after a long stalk we were able to get close enough to take a shot.
IMG_2929.JPG

We tried a few day for some kudu. Seeing many nice trophy kudu but no cull animals. Next trip over I’m going for one of them . Lol

Victor our guide took us to a annex location that was full of warthog.
We successfully took 7 in a day . Sometimes two at a time !
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2982.JPG
IMG_2989.JPG

Coming to the last day of your hunting trip we decided to have our luck at some kudu again. Well ,saw a few but couldn’t get a decent shot , right before we were going to quit for the night this little guy ran out .
IMG_2960.JPG

I think I caught the bug as we are planning another trip already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a surprise you are headed back. The disease is virile.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

You made an excellent choice of a cull hunt for your first trip! Now you know what it’s all about and can plan better and know what to expect on your next addiction injection:eek:!
Thanks for sharing!

Hi Clayton d
we are booked to hunt with Victor for 12 days in September this year.
looking forward to having a great hunt.

We went over for a total of 10 days . 6 days hunting and 4 days relaxing. Lindsey (victors wife) is a wonderful cook. Every meal we had was amazing. I think I gained weight during my stay.. ha
The hunting is more challenging than the white tails we have around here.
But ,that’s part of the fun!! Lol
IMG_2915.JPG

Couple of evenings this guy would would wonder into camp..

Good luck on your hunt .

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on a successful first hunt and the start of planning your next.

Congrats, now you had a taste of what it´s about.

Next time will be much better.

One evening after our normal hunt . Victor took me out for some trophy animals.. using his old .22 I was able to get a couple of those buggers I saw everyday. Ha
IMG_2997.JPG

Congrats, looks like you had a great time!

Ah the lesser spotted Dassie. Looks like a SCI No 1 to me. You can't go wrong with Victor and I hope you are returning to him for your return trip.

Good trip. Congrats and nice to hear that your booked again.
Bruce

The dassie is a No 1 animal for sure.. ha
Definitely planning another trip with victor . Unfortunately it won’t be until late next year....

Clayton d, like you I thoroughly enjoyed my first hunt in 2016. I will be going back this July with my oldest son. Once you are bitten by the African Hunting Bug there is only one cure. Thanks for sharing your hunt and photos with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg