SOUTH AFRICA: First Safari In The Eastern Cape With KMG Hunting Safaris

Travel Back:

Marius and I loaded up all the skins and skulls in the bakkie and headed to East London. He dropped me off at the entrance to the airport and I proceeded to the Airlink check in. So now everything is in reverse.

No issue here but I did have to tell them how many live rounds I had but no questions on how many empty cases I had. Weighed the ammo case and back into the luggage this time. And this is where it got a bit screwed up. The ticket agent told me I needed to go upstairs to pay for excess baggage/firearm fee after they checked my rifle SN#. So I went upstairs but no one knew anything about fees and no one could help me so I just headed to the gate and waited for the flight to Joberg. When it was time to start boarding they scanned my boarding pass and there was a ‘No Board’ message so they pulled me off to the side and asked if I had paid the fee ‘No’ I replied. They had to then have someone run and get a credit card reader machine brought to the gate since I didn’t have any cash. Note to self: Always pack some Rand with you! Finally, a kid ran up and I scanned my card and I was ready to board. Disaster averted.

Landed in Joberg and was greeted by a Riflepermits rep on the tarmac as soon as I deboarded. He shuttled me straight to baggage claim and we picked up my bags and headed to Qatar check in but since I had over a 7 hour layover Qatar check in was deserted. So I went and grabbed lunch with my rifle & baggage in tow. Painful to haul your luggage around an airport for that long. Finally Qatar opened up and went back to check in and got my luggage checked in and received my boarding passes. Then we had to go back to SAPS. Anyway, got on the plane headed to Doha.

The flight to Doha took about 1 hour longer than anticipated so when we landed I had to hustle to get on the Seattle flight. Also, we had to go back through security checks twice here. Didn’t even have time to use the restroom.

Boarded for the long haul to Seattle. When we landed back in Seattle this is where the fun started. Deboarded the plane and went straight through customs which seemed to take forever. Finally, through Customs to try and claim my luggage. After waiting almost an hour but no baggage I asked 4 different people about my baggage and rifle. And received four different answers. Finally found a customs agent that said all my luggage was being held with them not far away. I had assumed that my checked bag would come out on the carousel and my rifle would be held by Customs. Hustled over there and went through Customs again and they X-rayed my luggage and gave me my checked bag but not the rifle.

There was another hunter from Montana that was in the same boat. They said a lady had to deliver the rifles to Carousel 1 (remember the carousel 1 from my trip over!) Well it turns Carousel 1 is the International rifle/oversize item drop off point. Well, she took another hour to get our rifles to the baggage claim area and finally the other hunter spotted her and grabbed both our rifles. By this time, I only had 30 minutes to make my flight so we hustled to check the rifle back in with TSA and Alaska. Needless to say, the ticket agent took my bag but not the rifle and when I went to get TSA to check the rifle and the Alaskan rep said I wouldn’t make the flight and rebooked me on the next one. Course now I have luggage on two different flights…Well, it actually worked out since the original flight was delayed and when I landed in Spokane I didn’t have to wait long for both pieces to arrive on the carousel. Finally home.

Recap

It’s hard to put into words the great experience I had on this trip. Everything was wonderful from the people, to the food and the great hospitality. Flying with a rifle was painful but definitely manageable. Just make sure you have enough layover time and ask a lot of questions.

Even though I never got a warthog or bushbuck I don’t have any regrets. I’ll just put them at the top of my list next trip.

I can’t thank Nick Neuper my PH enough. He hunted hard and got me some wonderful trophies and put me in the exact position I needed to be. He had a great sense of humor and we got along great. Very instrumental with all the time we spent together. He also took extra time for photos that initially I found a little laughable but everyone that has seen the photos of the animals is appreciative in the care and time that he took. Especially since I’m back and going back through the photos it is really special to have nice photos that will live on forever.

Timba the tracker was great to be with as well – Too bad I don’t speak Xhosa though! Nick tried teaching me few words but after a few tries and lots of laughs from Nick I gave up.

Also, a big thank you to the Outspan Lodge – Debbie, Andrew, Teman and Portia. First class operation. The food was off the charts and the accommodations wonderful and the scenery at the lodge is spectacular. I can’t begin to describe the hospitality I received the entire time I was there.

Outspan 1.jpg

1620866861163.png

Boots 1.jpg

And to Marius – Thanks for all your help in answering my questions over the last year and a half and putting this all together. I hope to be back soon for another bacon sandwich and milkshake – As they say in Africa ‘Let’s make a plan’! Much appreciated Marius for giving me some lifetime memories!

And finally thank you to the AH community for all the info to get this off the ground. Without being armed with the info I gleaned, this may not have happened. I worry and sweat the small details so AH really helped to put me at ease in the planning stages. The only thing I that I might disagree with is that everybody stated they started planning their trip on the plane ride home – I started planning my return trip on the second day!

Outspan 4.jpg

Great job on the report. Thanks for posting, including the travel parts!

Thank you for taking your time to write this great report. You got some awesome animals.
Especially love the copper

Great job on the report. Thanks for posting, including the travel parts!
Thank you - My hope is that the travel parts benefit others.
Great report Uncle Sauce. I was the other hunter at carousel 1. Glad you made it ok. Hard to beat KMG. Thanks for the report
@Justhunt - I appreciate the help in Seattle. Without it I may still be sitting there waiting on my rifle!
Thank you for taking your time to write this great report. You got some awesome animals.
Especially love the copper
My pleasure! Thanks for the kind words

What a beautiful adventure, and thank you for takins us along. Thank you for sharing your ups and downs, that is why they call it hunting and not shooting. Your last day of hunting is one of the best I've read, and would have been thrilled ending a safari like that. BTW, with your writing style, I felt I was next to you looking through my binoculars. Thank you!

I love the picture of the Jack Russell and your rifle. Wow. I'd frame that!

Now, who is doing the taxidermist work for you, and which animals you are mounting and which will be Euros? If I was betting man (which I'm not), I'd say you'll shoulder mount the kudu, nyala, copper springbuck and the black wildebeest. :)

What a beautiful adventure, and thank you for takins us along. Thank you for sharing your ups and downs, that is why they call it hunting and not shooting. Your last day of hunting is one of the best I've read, and would have been thrilled ending a safari like that. BTW, with your writing style, I felt I was next to you looking through my binoculars. Thank you!

I love the picture of the Jack Russell and your rifle. Wow. I'd frame that!

Now, who is doing the taxidermist work for you, and which animals you are mounting and which will be Euros? If I was betting man (which I'm not), I'd say you'll shoulder mount the kudu, nyala, copper springbuck and the black wildebeest. :)
Thank you sir - glad you enjoyed it. It was hard describing and putting the 'downs' in here for everyone to see...

Splitting Image in SA is doing the taxidermy work. (I should have done exactly as you stated!) I am doing shoulder mounts on the kudu & nyala. The rest are euro's - I screwed up on the copper springbok and told the skinner to do just do a euro and backskin! Marius told me I was mad but that was after they had skinned it! They offered to get me another cape but I wanted to keep it all mine so I stuck by my decision. I wish I had put more thought into the taxidermy but I had no idea how many or what kind of animals I was going to end up with. I just had a hard time believing I was actually going to come home with 5-6 animals let alone 10.
I just received my quote from Splitting Image so working out the details now. Problem I have is that I'm between homes so that makes it ultra difficult to plan the mounts.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL:
You had an outstanding 1st Africa adventure! Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks Ridgewalker - The only issue I have with Africa is that it really ruined me for my typical Western hunts at home! :D

Problem I have is that I'm between homes so that makes it ultra difficult to plan the mounts.
That is not a bad problem to have. Once in your new home, you can plan where the next mounts are going to go. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Too bad you didn't do a shoulder mount on that copper springbuck. But his beautiful Euro will be displayed.

When we moved to GA, we had not received our mounts from my first safari. I told my realtor that I need a house with high ceilings, and she didn't quite understand why such an infatuation with high ceilings when I'm only 5'5" tall. I had to show her picture of the animals for her to understand. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My wife told me that I had too much empty wall space, and that I should figure out a way to fill them. Well, safari number 2 here we go. LOL!!!!

Wife and I want to go out west on vacation. I'll let you know if we are in your neck of the woods, so we can sit and enjoy a couple of cigars. Let me know if you are ever on this side as well. The humidors are always full. :):Cigar::Cigar:

That is not a bad problem to have. Once in your new home, you can plan where the next mounts are going to go. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Too bad you didn't do a shoulder mount on that copper springbuck. But his beautiful Euro will be displayed.

When we moved to GA, we had not received our mounts from my first safari. I told my realtor that I need a house with high ceilings, and she didn't quite understand why such an infatuation with high ceilings when I'm only 5'5" tall. I had to show her picture of the animals for her to understand. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My wife told me that I had too much empty wall space, and that I should figure out a way to fill them. Well, safari number 2 here we go. LOL!!!!

Wife and I want to go out west on vacation. I'll let you know if we are in your neck of the woods, so we can sit and enjoy a couple of cigars. Let me know if you are ever on this side as well. The humidors are always full. :):Cigar::Cigar:
You just let me know if guys get around this area! Would love to meet up and smoke some vitolas! And if I ever do get down your way I'll give you a heads up to make sure your humidor can handle the strain :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

@Uncle Sauce , Josh, thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed write up. You and Nick took some exceptional animals. Congratulations again my friend. You were a pleasure to have in camp!

@Uncle Sauce , Josh, thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed write up. You and Nick took some exceptional animals. Congratulations again my friend. You were a pleasure to have in camp!
My pleasure Marius. I'm still getting my feet under me but I need to start getting with you on the next trip!

Excellent report of a great adventure congrats :D Cheers:

Day 1 - Tuesday

Didn’t sleep very well that night (which would be a recurring theme) and met Nick in the lodge for breakfast but the driving rain had not let up yet. We drank coffee and hung out at the lodge until mid-morning then decided to drive into town (Komga) to do a couple errands and grab some biltong. I really became addicted to this stuff! Every place we went I asking Nick ‘Can we grab some more biltong?’ … He probably got annoyed with me after awhile!
View attachment 400843
Biltong (Komga)

It’s not everyday that you see cows and goats in the middle of town!
View attachment 400844
Komga 1
View attachment 400845
Komga with the local car wash in the background

Got back to the lodge early afternoon and Nick says to grab my gear and let’s go look around since the skies started clearing.
View attachment 400846
Outspan
Hopped into the truck and headed out above the lodge. Wasn’t long until we spotted some blue wildebeest and put a stalk on but couldn’t get into position on them. A bit later we spotted some zebra and blesbuck. Off the truck and started a stalk up a long hedgerow adjacent to a large meadow. After slinking around awhile to get into position Nick put me on the sticks to try for a zebra. But before we get one lined up they took off in a mad rush when a blesbuck spotted us and blew the alarm.

We chased the herd for awhile into the next meadow but they were scattered out across the meadow but we finally got the one we wanted picked out and back onto the sticks for about a 190 yd shot. Touched it off and he went down in a few yards. First African animal so I was pretty excited – I couldn’t believe this was happening!

View attachment 400847
Boots and Zebra

Loading the zebra up I ripped my pants from crotch to knee. Timba and Teeman (the other skinner at the lodge) really got a kick out of that when we dropped him off at the skinning shed. My jewels were hanging out trying to help unload. Proved to be laughing point the entire trip!
The lodge looks dood, strong African feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg