SOUTH AFRICA: First Safari In The Eastern Cape With KMG Hunting Safaris

Thanks Ragman! Wow - Did Marius jump in after it and retrieve it for you!? :giggle:
He didn’t jump in but he did manage to get a leg fished out with his shooting sticks. Once he got it maneuvered so that he could reach the head we each grabbed a horn and pulled it up the bank.
22F98003-FFAE-4404-BF05-DBE3CBC62DE8.png
00CFA76F-8D6A-4C07-BB9F-E05A18D7FF6B.png
C66803F9-E654-43AE-A7B3-D7F7526BB989.png
962168B2-1EE5-45C9-8D9D-DBFA33CCC0B8.png

He didn’t jump in but he did manage to get a leg fished out with his shooting sticks. Once he got it maneuvered so that he could reach the head we each grabbed a horn and pulled it up the bank.
:E Wow: Dang - Marius was holding back on me, he never gave me an opportunity for some fishing on my trip! :ROFLMAO:

Day 9 – Wednesday

Two days of hunting left except we need to go to East London for my COVID test today.

Out in the morning early to look for bushbuck and possibility of a warthog on a nearby property. Saw handful of ewes but no rams. And no warthogs!

1620827066755.png

1620828075175.png

Back to the lodge to meet up with Marius to head into E. London for the COVID test. Drove to the hospital and it took about 30 minutes to fill out the paperwork and another 15 minutes or so for the test and to pay. You can use a credit card and I believe it was about $55-$60. Just have all the info such as the address your staying in SA, alternate contact numbers, alternate email, etc.

Then Marius took us to a local burger / sandwich shop called the Windmill Roadhouse and bought us lunch. Had an amazing sandwich that must have had a pound of bacon on it and drove down the road to another of Marius’ hidden gems for a milkshake. Needless to say, we were all in ‘low range’ on the way back to the lodge.

Got back to the lodge and loaded up to go look for hogs and bushbuck. After glassing until just before twilight we decided to head back since I was still feeling the after effects of the big lunch.

On the way back Nick spotted a blesbuck and we decided to put a stalk on. After a couple hundred yards through the acacia trees we were in position and I got on the sticks. Blesbuck wasn’t far off so I thought this should be quick and easy. Nope, pulled the shot somehow and he took off. Nobody could tell where he was hit since it was twilight. I've ran that shot over and over in my mind and cannot understand what happened! Lack of fundamentals is the only thing I can think of. It still pisses me off.

We tracked for awhile and I ran back to the truck for my flashlight to help but after an hour or so we or the dogs couldn’t pick up anything. We had an appointment at another property in the morning so we were going to have a tracker start looking for him again in the AM. I can say I felt bad about that shot the rest of my trip and even now typing this. I hate to see animals suffer needlessly and it hurts more when you’re the cause.

Day 10 – Thursday

Last full hunting day and on to a property for black wildebeest and springbok (maybe warthog?!) that was almost 2 hours away. Picked up their tracker and off we go to take a look.

1620828504371.png

1620828522581.png

Right off we spotted a springbuck feeding on a small outcrop of downward facing meadow to a canyon. I got setup on the bipod on a large rock and took the shot @ 200 yds but was about 50 yds below us. Pulled the trigger but hit him low. I’m starting to get pretty frustrated with my shooting by now with the blesbuck the night before and now a bad shot on this springbuck. Up and around we walked to see where he went but as it turned out he only moved about 20 yds but we couldn’t see him from where we shot. He was down but not out so I finished it quickly. Started to question my shooting skills pretty hard by now and just hoping that I can mentally keep it together.

1620828556770.png

Common Springbuck

After a couple hours we spotted a lone black wildebeest well above us on the side of a large open plain. Just about the time we spotted him he took off like he was late for a meeting. We continued on and parked the truck on top of the hill close to an old abandoned homestead. And set out on foot to try and get close to the black we were chasing. On the way Nick spotted a nice copper springbuck and asked me if I wanted him. I thought a few seconds and after a couple phone calls we were greenlighted. The ram had been watching us the entire time this was going on so up on the sticks I went and was tightening my finger on the trigger when he took off running. I wasn’t heart broken about it since it was a last second decision but Nick said he was a really, really nice copper. Well, damn!

Oh well, back after the black. We started heading down the hillside trying to work downwind and to the side of him. After some careful maneuvering we were getting close and then Nick notices the copper springbuck below us down in the valley. So we decided to try and get him and table the black for a little bit. I crawled down the hill and got on the bipod and the PH gave me the range which was right at 160 yds but about 100 yds below us. Lined it up and took the shot and the ram ran about 20 yds and dropped.

1620828635958.png

Copper Springbuck

After the copper was down we decided to try and get back on the black wildebeest. We kept low and side hilled it around to get in position on him. He had moved up the hill some more so I crawled on a rock ledge and tried to spot him above us but a bush was in the way. So, I crawled to the next rock ledge but still couldn’t get in position. So, I moved up to the last rock ledge and got him in my scope. By this time he had spotted me but he was looking directly into the sun so he didn’t run off. Nick gave me the range at 200 yds and I took the shot. The PH was watching through his binos and said he could see blood pouring out him. I had him back in the scope with another shot ready but Nick said he didn’t need it. Plus, I could see his back shoulder was broke through my scope so he didn’t go far.

1620828707777.png

Black Wildebeest

We loaded up the black then down and picked up the copper and took some photos. What a great day. The blesbuck from the night before was still bothering me though since the tracker back at the lodge had not located him yet.

Headed the fully loaded bakkie to the skinning shed where three guys made quick work of skinning duties. Gathered the capes and heads and back to Outspan. We got back and drove around awhile in the hopes of spotting the blesbuck but no luck.

Last edited:
That copper springbok is a toad! Congrats on all 3 animals!

Great story and super animals, sorry to see your report coming to an end.

What a last day!! The copper is a monster and what a unique Black WB! Congrats !

Good report, way to finish strong with the wildebeest and springbok.

Wow, that black WB, and copper Springbuck are amazing! Man, you took some fine animals on this trip, congrats brother.

p.s. Did you think you hit the Blesbuck, did the tracker ever find any blood?

Wow, that black WB, and copper Springbuck are amazing! Man, you took some fine animals on this trip, congrats brother.
Thanks Oscar - Much appreciated. The PH Nick deserves all the accolades for this hunt!

Both Springboks are very fine trophies for sure. I can understand why it wasn’t a tough decision to take that Copper!
It takes a lot to fight through and out of self doubt after a couple doses of bad breaks. Been there myself. Kudos to you for fighting back!

Both Springboks are very fine trophies for sure. I can understand why it wasn’t a tough decision to take that Copper!
It takes a lot to fight through and out of self doubt after a couple doses of bad breaks. Been there myself. Kudos to you for fighting back!
It definitely gets tough when you start doubting yourself. The last day definitely helped me mentally. Thanks for the kind words!

Copper is a great looking trophy. Congrats. Black Wilderbeast looks pretty cool too.
Bruce

Very much enjoyed your report and photos. Congratulations on some spectacular animals!

WOW! Absolutely every animal is a fine trophy! You did great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg