6MM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Took this animal on the first day of hunting (7-2-11) in an area about 30 km east of Kimberley. Taking him was a challenge and I'll admit my first shot was not the best, but we tracked him and secured the trophy.

Gemsbok.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a nice one and the main thing is it is in the picture with you and not down the road! Well done!

Looks to be a good one...and your trackers saved the day...

Yes he did and I took care of him quite handsomely at the end of the trip.

One thing I did before going is include ample tips within my budget.

Hi 6mm

Thats a massive Gemmy you got there. Congratulations!!! what caliber did you treat it with ??

Monish

6mm thats another fine trophy. Congratulations!

Hi 6mm

Thats a massive Gemmy you got there. Congratulations!!! what caliber did you treat it with ??

Monish

Monish:

A 30.06 Ackely with more shots than I'll admit to. The Gemsbok is like Steven Segal. Even down on the ground it was still trying to come at us with it's rapiers.

Nice trophy.

Yes, Gemsbok can be dangerous !

6MM

Gems do tend to take quite enough lead in them before they fall , what grain age bullet did you take him with ???

Monish

6MM

Gems do tend to take quite enough lead in them before they fall , what grain age bullet did you take him with ???

Monish

I used a custom handload that printed in the bull in the states. 165 Grn Nosler Partition moving at 2851 FPS. Going back I'll go up to the 200 Grain Barnes TSX. I had great success with the 270 Grn Barnes TSX out of my 375 H&H as a well placed shot pretty much anchored the animal. For those going on the first trip practice on shooting sticks a lot, and 5 second target acquirement.

Nice trophy! I just returned last week and shot a similar sized (38") gemsbuck on 6 July 40 miles north west of Kimberley near Windsorton. I used a 300 H&H at 200 yards - i was lucky to get a 1 shot kill because there was alot of brush between me and the animal.

6MM,

The load you used is good & so is the velocity for the 3006, was the shot placement low ?? try the 200 or the 220 PSPs next time. . Did you ever use Winchester fail sales ?
I am a ardent 375 H&H fan , what make is your 375 H&H ??

Monish

Monish:

The shot was back but quartered thru the animal and got one of the lungs...from that point on the adrenalin was moving in the animal and I was fighting mother nature.

Like my 30.06 the 375 is a Remington Model 700 except that the 375 is the Extreme Conditions Rifle. Very good shooter out of the box.

Nice trophy! I just returned last week and shot a similar sized (38") gemsbuck on 6 July 40 miles north west of Kimberley near Windsorton. I used a 300 H&H at 200 yards - i was lucky to get a 1 shot kill because there was alot of brush between me and the animal.

We must have been there at the same time just hunting at the opposite distances from Kimberley. We were close to Boshov I think the town was called.

Yes, we probably were there at the same time. My friend also shot an oryx from a pit blind with a bow quartering away and only got 1 lung - it went over 2 miles!! Those trackers were incredible. I will post a foto of mine when I figure out how to do it. I use a 200 gr Nosler Partition in the 300 H&H. It worked well on everything I shot this trip - it's also a great elk round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg