SOUTH AFRICA: First African Safari In The Books With Somerby Safaris

Lots of nice trophies! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congrats on great hunt, and very nice trophies !

those are some Awesome trophies!!!
Really nice waterbucks, they are on my list for next time!
congratulations!!!

Seeing the BIL's report he posted made me take a look back at mine. I'd sure be lying if I told you I didn't enjoy reliving this hunt everytime I read about it or see pictures! Hides and horns should be here any day and land in the hands of the Artistry of Wildlife studio and I CAN NOT wait to see these beautiful creatures in person again!

The next day the focus was my kudu. We hunted hard and saw several bulls but nothing that compelled Andre to say shoot. This may have been the most difficult one to hold off on for me. As I'm sure we would all say who have seen them in person, these are magnificent animals and even those that aren't huge look huge!

The next day we were again on the hunt for kudu. We again saw many cows and young ones and some bulls but nothing Andre got excited about. Andre decided at one point that we would stalk into a water hole. As we get to about 80 yards out we spot kudu but it was too late as we had been spotted first. Kudu took off and alerted and I figured back to the drawing board. That's when Andre slipped to the ground on one hip and told me to follow. He said shoot him off my shoulder. I looked and saw what he was talking about. I had an opening to shoot through and literally never saw horns, Andre told me to shoot so I shot. I saw the kudu drop immediately and when the dust literally cleared he was gone. We walked in and there was no blood in sight. I was for the first time on the trip getting concerned when we hear Andre from behind the water hole dam. We go to see what he has found and the first words I hear are those familiar "You have no idea what you've done". He isn't the biggest kudu to ever walk the planet but I couldn't be happier with his 54". He is more than I expected and can't wait to see him again. At the end of the day his total score was 131".
View attachment 241957 View attachment 241958

More to come

I think you were as stressed/questioning that shot as I did the waterbuck. What a great critter and to be take. In the same spot as your Nyala is awesome.

Next up was my Nyala. This was an animal that I was super excited about and we literally had not laid eyes on the entire trip. Once we decided to focus on hunting one it didn't take long before an opportunity presented itself. This Nyala happened to be at the same waterhole I took my kudu the afternoon before. After a little stalk I had a shot opportunity and took it. For whatever reason this was the worst shot I had put on an animal so far. Though it wasn't horrible, it was a little back. After another short stalk on his trail I had the opportunity for follow up and put him down. Again, what a beautiful and tough animal! My Nyala had a long horn of 25 7/8" and a final score of 66 3/8"
View attachment 241959

I think the appropriate quote from Andre was...let’s see if we shot two...

Congratulations on your Somerby Safari, they are a class act and your beautiful animals quite stunning!

Great story of the hunt but if this was 2018 you must have some trophies in the trophy room by now! Any photos of the end results?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!