Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
Being an ex PH and Outfitter or current PH and Outfitter doesn't mean that you have hunted all the species yourself as not everything is free in this world. But finally this past weekend I got the chance to bag my own buffalo on a proper hunt.
20190809_093559.jpg

Good old buffalo cow they can be very wary and a good hard hunt as some of the big bulls really are not scared of much. Lions and wild dogs frequent the area and there is always leopard around.
Area was Phalaborwa, Limpopo.
Rifle used original Musgrave K98 in 375 H&H
Ammunition self loaded 300gr Woodleigh HD bullets at 2470fps
One shot was needed plumbing was shot off above heart and two big holes in the lungs
Weight retention was 78% but at the 375 speed and destruction inside the buffalo and all energy being transfered into the animnal I'm more than happy.

Used the same setup on two blue wildebeest in March and worked superb giving me confindence in the load.

Beautiful buffalo, Frederik! Congratulations!

Congratulations.

Congrats sir! Thanks for sharing!

Good on you!

Nice Frederik congratulations, nice buffalo, always great when a plan comes together.

How time has gone by, I remember you accompanying me on a few hunts just when you started out as camera man....all the best.

IvW, sure time waits for no one, not being a PH anymore makes much more time to hunt for oneself good fun and teaching my son the ropes on hunting is pure blessing.

Well done, congrats!

Congratulations Frederik!

I honestly hope that we can share a campfire again in the near future.
Thank you for sharing.

Congrats Frederik !

Congratulations. What do you think of cow buff hunt? Same experience as. Bull? It seems to be s reasonable way to hunt some buffalo? Can you elaborate for me? Thanks.

Congrats on your trophy sir!

Nice buf. Congrats. I'm planning on a cow on my next hunt to complement my bull. Would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Congratulations Frederik!

I honestly hope that we can share a campfire again in the near future.
Thank you for sharing.

Boela, I hope to spend some campfires in future again with you we had a great hunt last year thanks.

Newboomer, Gesch,

Buffalo hunting is an addiction and hunting bulls can be expensive so this is a very good alternative especially if you have a big head on the wall already which I'm still working on. The cows are more wary as they are the ones mostly who look after the calves they are just as tough, dangerous and still buffalo. The only thing that differs is their size and the fact that it is easier to locate a herd than lone bulls.

Cows in a herd have a tendency to charge as a herd when one of theirs has been hit I woudln't say that they can be as dangerous as a herd of elephant cows but that all depends on where you find yourself.
Then on choosing a cow you still have to be picky is it a dry cow and then also look out for an older cow past prime?
You still hunt buffalo but for a much reduced price and could hunt 3 cows for the price of one trophy bull in South Africa.

If you hunt with the right outfit and areas you won't be hunting ex breeding cows or you might be but that coukd have been 2 generations ago as long as the buffalo has been in an area for some time and can do and move as they please they are wild and good to hunt.

Congrats!!

congrats on a nice buff cow and a proper hunt! what an experience.
Nice work

It looks and sounds like a good challenge! Thanks for the info. You have pretty much convinced me I need to shoot a nice cow to put with my bull. And 2-3 for the price of a bull! What a deal!
Thanks again and congratulations on finally getting a chance to shoot your own buffalo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg