SOUTH AFRICA: Father & Son Hunt With Roche Safaris

Patton63

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I had the opportunity to do my first African safari in 2016, with Roche Safaris. As happens with many people, the desire to do a second hunt immediately welled up and I began considering when to go back and the logistics for bringing my son with me. Due to some good luck and the graciousness of Roche DuPreez, the owner of Roche Safaris, I was able to schedule a hunt for my 14 year-old son and myself from June 14-23, 2017.

We traveled with rifles in tow to RSA on Ethiopian Air with no problems. The kind people at RiflePermits helped get the temporary import permits and, after meeting Roche at the airport, we were off to start our plains game hunt. My son had three animals high on his wish list - a Gemsbok, Kudu, and Black Wildebeest. Anything else, and anything I might, take would simply be gravy.

Roche's farm and home territory is in Mpumulanga Province, nestled in the mountains near Kruger and the Mozambique border. As a change of pace, though, we spent the first day hunting in North West Province. The hunt started out quickly, as we came upon a herd of Gemsbok shortly after sunrise. Upon seeing them, my son had a smile on his face and a sparkle in his eye, as he began to get a taste of the excitement that a spot-and-stalk hunt can present. After making a couple different stalks, we finally were able to get into position for a roughly 200 yard shot.

Glassing.jpg

Roche and my son spent time glassing the herd to see if the right bull was there. Ultimately, they found a beautiful bull and my son was able to take his first animal in Africa.

Gemsbok.jpg

We then turned our attention to a Black Wildebeest. We saw several herds and ultimately came across a herd of all bulls. Again, Roche and my son stalked to within about 200 yards and found a great old bull. Roche talked him through the shot, made sure they were on the same animal, and with that, the wildebeest fell.

Black Wildebeest.jpg

After hunting North West, we returned to Mpumulanga. The terrain is quite different, as we went from wide open fields to thick bush. Coming from the East Coast of the US, hunting in thick brush is familiar and comforting. Also, it presented a whole series of new challenges for a young hunter to experience and overcome. We spent a lot of time on the top of a small mountain glassing the property.

Mountain.jpg

We would then climb down and explore the property from the back of a Land Cruiser or on foot. The goal at this point was a Kudu.

Eventually, after a lot of hard work, we came across a mature Kudu bull walking with two cows. We spotted it from the truck and, after determining it was a bull worth pursuing, Roche and my son slipped over the tailgate and off the back bumper as the truck kept going. I stayed on the truck to minimize the potential for being seen and, in doing so, was able to see the bull watching us - never having seen or noticed the fact that two hunters dropped to the ground as we were driving. For me, the tension of the moment grew, as I couldn't see or know what was happening. After about 20 minutes of waiting roughly 500 yards further down the road, I heard my son's .308 boom and could hear the bull crash. What a moment for him and for me, as I could not have been happier for him. It turns out that the bull was a monster.

Mason Kudu.jpg

We continued to hunt over the next couple days and I was fortunate to take a beautiful Springbok and Red Hartebeest. That was secondary, however, to watching the rest of the hunt unfold.

Skulls.jpg

As was my experience in 2016, the hospitality Roche and his wife showed were spectacular. They bring you in to their family and make you feel welcome. As we sat around the fire one night, my son commented that he felt like he could be sitting in his back yard - that is exactly the type of informal, personal, and comfortable environment that we wanted on our trip. The food was spectacular and the accommodations superb. To break up the hunt, we spent a day sight-seeing in Kruger and spent an afternoon at a nearby preserve where you can interact with and ride elephants. What a great time - after spending time learning about the elephants and playing soccer with them, we were able to do a mini game drive riding on the back of one of them.

Thank you for indulging me in this report. As I am sure you can see, I was thrilled with the experience and am proud of everything my son experienced and accomplished while on his first trip. We are already planning a return visit.

Glassing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Ok @Patton63 we know you are hooked on hunting Africa. How about your son? Is he ready to go back? Glad you could work it out to take the young man. He will remember this hunt as long as he lives. Nice trophies by the way.

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Thanks for the nice report! I have hunted with Roche on the last three of my four trips. Last year my 24-year-old daughter asked to be included for a week of a two week trip with my old friends and she was bitten by the bug. She insisted that she and I return this year for two weeks and, although I had planned to take a year off, it didn't take a lot of arm twisting. Roche is outstanding in many ways, but his infectious excitement, confidence, patience with rookies and terrific accommodations make his outfit a perfect choice for families. Congratulations!

I had the opportunity to do my first African safari in 2016, with Roche Safaris. As happens with many people, the desire to do a second hunt immediately welled up and I began considering when to go back and the logistics for bringing my son with me. Due to some good luck and the graciousness of Roche DuPreez, the owner of Roche Safaris, I was able to schedule a hunt for my 14 year-old son and myself from June 14-23, 2017.

We traveled with rifles in tow to RSA on Ethiopian Air with no problems. The kind people at RiflePermits helped get the temporary import permits and, after meeting Roche at the airport, we were off to start our plains game hunt. My son had three animals high on his wish list - a Gemsbok, Kudu, and Black Wildebeest. Anything else, and anything I might, take would simply be gravy.

Roche's farm and home territory is in Mpumulanga Province, nestled in the mountains near Kruger and the Mozambique border. As a change of pace, though, we spent the first day hunting in North West Province. The hunt started out quickly, as we came upon a herd of Gemsbok shortly after sunrise. Upon seeing them, my son had a smile on his face and a sparkle in his eye, as he began to get a taste of the excitement that a spot-and-stalk hunt can present. After making a couple different stalks, we finally were able to get into position for a roughly 200 yard shot.

View attachment 192179

Roche and my son spent time glassing the herd to see if the right bull was there. Ultimately, they found a beautiful bull and my son was able to take his first animal in Africa.

View attachment 192186

We then turned our attention to a Black Wildebeest. We saw several herds and ultimately came across a herd of all bulls. Again, Roche and my son stalked to within about 200 yards and found a great old bull. Roche talked him through the shot, made sure they were on the same animal, and with that, the wildebeest fell.

View attachment 192187

After hunting North West, we returned to Mpumulanga. The terrain is quite different, as we went from wide open fields to thick bush. Coming from the East Coast of the US, hunting in thick brush is familiar and comforting. Also, it presented a whole series of new challenges for a young hunter to experience and overcome. We spent a lot of time on the top of a small mountain glassing the property.

View attachment 192188

We would then climb down and explore the property from the back of a Land Cruiser or on foot. The goal at this point was a Kudu.

Eventually, after a lot of hard work, we came across a mature Kudu bull walking with two cows. We spotted it from the truck and, after determining it was a bull worth pursuing, Roche and my son slipped over the tailgate and off the back bumper as the truck kept going. I stayed on the truck to minimize the potential for being seen and, in doing so, was able to see the bull watching us - never having seen or noticed the fact that two hunters dropped to the ground as we were driving. For me, the tension of the moment grew, as I couldn't see or know what was happening. After about 20 minutes of waiting roughly 500 yards further down the road, I heard my son's .308 boom and could hear the bull crash. What a moment for him and for me, as I could not have been happier for him. It turns out that the bull was a monster.

View attachment 192189

We continued to hunt over the next couple days and I was fortunate to take a beautiful Springbok and Red Hartebeest. That was secondary, however, to watching the rest of the hunt unfold.

View attachment 192190

As was my experience in 2016, the hospitality Roche and his wife showed were spectacular. They bring you in to their family and make you feel welcome. As we sat around the fire one night, my son commented that he felt like he could be sitting in his back yard - that is exactly the type of informal, personal, and comfortable environment that we wanted on our trip. The food was spectacular and the accommodations superb. To break up the hunt, we spent a day sight-seeing in Kruger and spent an afternoon at a nearby preserve where you can interact with and ride elephants. What a great time - after spending time learning about the elephants and playing soccer with them, we were able to do a mini game drive riding on the back of one of them.

Thank you for indulging me in this report. As I am sure you can see, I was thrilled with the experience and am proud of everything my son experienced and accomplished while on his first trip. We are already planning a return visit.

View attachment 192180

Nice story and a beautiful kudu!

Thanks for sharing your hunt report with us.

GREAT hunt and congrats to the lad. . he took some AWESOME animals for a 1st hunt. Many people hunt for years without getting a decent kudu.
Keep it up. Africa Awaits!!

Well done sir! So many of our youth never have the chance to do something like this. Your son will remember it for his lifetime. Nice trophies. Bruce

Congratulations to you both on many levels. An incredible experience, magnificent trophies, stunning pictures, and making me homesick. I, too, have sat on that little hill, followed Roche in the Northwest provence,and sat by the fire with the Du Preez family. I'm going back, and I have no doubt you will too. Splendid report, and I thank you for it.

View attachment 192179

View attachment 192186

View attachment 192187

View attachment 192188

View attachment 192189

View attachment 192190

Thank you for indulging me in this report. As I am sure you can see, I was thrilled with the experience and am proud of everything my son experienced and accomplished while on his

Great hunt with great people !
No wonder we want to go back time after time
Your son nailed an awesome Kudu
Cheers Dory .

Thank you to all who have expressed their good wishes and congratulations. It was a great trip, and one that I am confident has ignited my son's desire to go back to Aftica and to hunt other great regions of the world.

Thanks for sharing and congrats! Awesome that you could share that with your son

Dear Patton63
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your safari experience. Cherish your memories for a lifetime.
If you plan already your next safari, we trust that Namibia is your next destination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you