SOUTH AFRICA: Father & Son 2 Bushbuck, 2 Kudu + Game 4 Africa Safaris = No Problem

Congratulations on a wonderful hunt and thank you for sharing it with us!

You guys had a fantastic hunt. Your write up and photos are what dreams are made of. My son and I are headed back for our second Safari on July 18th. I live in Southeastern Michigan, between Detroit and Monroe. If you're close, perhaps we can get together some time.

This is an attempt to put how wonderful of a time we had in South Africa with our Outfitters Game4Africa.

This all started back in 2016 when I got the itch to tackle Africa as my next hunting destination. I had some friends that have been on safari but never really looked into what it would take to make it happen. Africa is one of those destinations that always seems to be on every outdoorsmen's "bucket list" but honestly not many get to experience it. I believe that the perceptions of Africa itself as a dangerous, unfriendly, arid, flat, disease ridden wasteland that only the extremely wealthy get to experience scares 95% of the outdoorsmen from taking the steps to go on such a trip. I joined Africahunting.com and started reading and researching. The more I read the more the itch turned into and obsession. Now I am an active member on many outdoor forums such as Rok slide, Michigan Sportsmen, Alaska outdoors forums, Hunt Talk ect. The members of Africahunting.com are a different breed and go out of their way to write truthful hunt reports, review outfitters, welcome newcomers and put very practical information about the whole process online for anyone to read if they are willing to do a little research. The information I found proved absolutely priceless and I can't say anything but great things about the resource.

I am absolutely blessed my father has always been up for any adventure I dream up from boat based Kodiak Island Alaska hunting, to being dropped in the Brooks Range in Alaska's arctic refuge on a Float hunt for moose & caribou. I'll be honest that when I proposed Africa he was pretty hesitant, but eventually agreed. The more information I presented to him, the more excited he became. This would be a father/son hunt so I focused my research on outfitters that specialize in Father/Son hunting and 2 on 1 style safaris. I saw an add posted by Game4Africa in the forums and researched their company. I only found a few shreds of information about their service, but what I read was all positive so I contacted Wikus and to my surprise he emailed me right back. Throughout our correspondence he answered all my many annoying questions and sent some references to speak to in the US. Again all positive experiences.

I'll review & answer each of the things that originally attracted me to their service throughout this report but at first glance they seemed like a smaller family run outfit instead of a huge camp. Wikus was going to be the actual PH that would be hunting with my father and I. The package we were interested in allowed my father and I to pick and choose different animals we were each interested in hunting. They were extremely accommodating about an extra non-hunting day in the middle of the safari as an add on with various activities to choose from. They had excellent rifles to rent instead of importing your own. Their trophy pictures of the animals on Facebook & Instagram and their website seemed to be very well prepared and care taken to take quality photos.

We wired a deposit to Wikus and booked for May 23-June1 2018 and thus started our 1.5 year wait! Over the next year and a half Wikus and I emailed each-other back and fourth answering questions, preparing our lists of animals and firming up travel itineraries. Now I also took the advice of many on the forum and used Lori at Travel Express to book our flights. She was amazing! She found us a better deal than I could find myself! She answered questions, guided us on choosing the best flights, travel insurance, seats and included valuable resources such as packing lists, gun import permits and such.

May 21st - Off to the airport and after 2 days of travel we finally arrived in Port Elizabeth South Africa on May 23rd. Andre, one of their PH's was there waiting for us and drove us the approximately 2 hours to Gramstown and then to the lodge. Upon arriving at the lodge we could not believe how nice it was. Nestled on a ridge overlooking irrigated grass fields where warthogs and Zebra grazed. They had a large pool & outdoor patio area, 4 private chalets and the main dining & entertainment lodge. We changed our clothes and went right out to the range for a little range work with our chosen rented rifle a Sako 7mm Mag with a Swarovski 4-12 and suppressor. Rifle was impressive as the suppressor eased the kick and sound. After a few rounds on the bench and sticks no adjustments were needed and we headed back to the lodge for dinner. This was our 1st taste of how impressive the dinners would be throughout the next 9 days. 3 different meats consisting of Impala Sausage, Eland Filet and Warthog ribs, Salad, many sides, Red or White wine and desert! Stuffed! We were surprised that we eat right with Wikus and his family. What a treat to have that kind of dinner conversation such as foreign politics, cultural differences and similarities, hunting stories ect.... We discussed our "lists" of animals we'd like to pursue and Wikus let us know right up front that both of us having Kudu and Bushbuck on our lists would be quite the challenge but that would be their focus!

View attachment 234916
Day 1 - We were up early before sunrise for breakfast that consisted of Eggs, Toast, juice or coffee and Bacon. We loaded up and headed out just as the sun rose to look for Kudu for my dad. Now anyone who knows my dad knows he's just plain lucky and thus called "lucky Dave". He's the type that wins every drawing he enters and luck just seems to naturally find him. Upon entering one of the areas we could hunt they immediately spotted a large group of Kudu with 7 bulls all biding for the cows attention, one of which needed a closer look. After about a mile stalk we closed the distance as they surveyed the group for the big guy they had caught a glimpse of from our original vantage point. They finally found him moving away from us, put dad on the sticks and at 240yds dad made both shots and put him down for good. Not 10AM and lucky Dave strikes! Wikus couldn't believe the 1st stalk on the 1st day resulted in such an old old Kudu bull. The type of bull hunters come to Africa and may never see. The trackers came to the kill site and positioned the animal for photos taking precise care, something we appreciated about Wikus and his team. They then proceeded to carry the animal out whole with nothing but sticks down to the waiting truck. View attachment 234917

We spent the rest of the morning driving around the concession in search of another Kudu bull. We found many to our surprise, but nothing that warranted a closer look being the very first day. We saw so many critters it was amazing from fighting Impala to Blesbuck, Nyala, Zebra and warthogs. The country was beautiful and nothing like we were expecting. We drove on the tops of mountains and thru the bottoms with overlooking rock cliffs on trails that didnt have a single truck track in them. They had areas that were steep with the thickest brush you could imagine and areas where the brush thinned out to grassy bottom land. Such a variety. We retreated to the lodge for lunch and a nap!

That night we headed to a different concession called Mountain Top in search of Bushbuck. Its an hour drive to the north through some beautifully diverse country including a game preserve that has all the Big 5. We set up high on rock cliffs glassed and glassed some more until Elliot spotted a couple bushbuck off in the distance. We moved in but they wouldn't move out from behind some brush as it quickly got dark. Wikus said now or never so we took a shot at 280 as light faded and missed.

Day 2 - Up early and after Duiker on the concession nearest to the lodge. We walked some trails thru some thick brush looking for any of the tiny critters when Elliot spotted a female and we stalked in close looking for the Male. We lucked out and a big male was nearby and after a close 75yd shot my 1st animal was on the ground. View attachment 234918

Shortly after the Duiker we topped a ridge and way way off in the distance Wikus spotted what he thought was 2 Bushbuck rams fighting. We jumped in the truck and drove across the valley, got out and crested the ridge for a look. After a short stalk we sat overlooking the area when Wikus spotted one of the Bushbuck across the valley on the opposite hillside at 380yds. He again said now or never as he was in a tiny opening one step to either side and he'd be gone. He said hold 15"-19" high and at the shot I was surprised to see him drop! Anyone that's hunted Africa knows Bushbuck are extremely difficult to get and here I have had 2 opportunities already! Upon reaching the ram he was beautifully colored, tall, old and a great trophy. That night we sat up high on a ridge overlooking a valley full of rutting Kudu, a big Nyala bull, warthog and 2 large Impala that gave us the slip.
View attachment 234919
Day 3 - We were up before sunrise and off to the Mountain Top concession after Dad's bushbuck. High from atop the rock cliffs we spotted a lone female but no other animals. We drove to a few other vantage points without luck finally seeing another female below us in the extreme bottom. We kept an eye on her as we glassed other locations when Wikus spotted 2 young rams fighting in the same location. After 10 minutes or so the big boy stepped out and dad made an extreme angle 240yd shot off the sticks to put the ram down! He was an old old ram, heavier than mine but shorter in length with one horn being worn down shorter than the other. We were able to set him up for pictures on the top of the mountain with a stunning background.View attachment 234920

On the way back Wikus noticed a big warthog with curling tusks running around with a large group of pigs that was being chased by a big male so we went around and got the wind right for the stalk. We stalked into the middle of a group of 40 hogs or so. They had no idea we were there as they one by one came to drink at a waterhole. We found the large hog they'd seen and while it was bigger than the males it turned out to be a female with giant tusks that curled all the way around. Wikus said that they don't get them like that and he's never seen one so we decided to take the shot! Unique trophy indeed!
View attachment 234921

Day 4 - We were going to concentrate on Kudu. While on one of the many stalks on Kudu bulls we bumped into a group of Impala and Wikus said grab the gun I've seen a huge impala we need to go after. We stalked thru a herd of Eland and into position where Dad made a nice shot on a SCI record book Impala. He was old, heavy, tall and might be the biggest of the year. View attachment 234923

That evening we hunted yet another new concession for Kudu. We spotted many bulls but nothing big until we spotted some Kudu moving across an impenetrably thick hillside toward where we had seen some other Kudu that morning and one was huge with ivory tips. We doubled back around and stalked into the bowl looking for the bulls we had seen on the other side. We bumped a few groups of cows but couldn't find the bulls. Finally we found a big bull but he took off after a spooked cow and across the trail in front of me set up on the sticks but never offered a great shot. Wikus said maybe that was a good think because he was big but not the biggest like we had seen earlier. Just then 2 bulls crested the hill headed for the same direction and we got setup on the sticks. At the trail Wikus yelled and he paused just long enough for me to slip one behind the shoulder. Short 30 yard track job and we found the huge ivory tipped bull! We had some time that night so John, Wikus, my dad and I went up atop a bluff overlooking a dry riverbed and called for Jackal. They call Jackal the same way we call coyotes here in the US. No luck on our stands for Jackal but just another example of how accommodating they are and willing to do anything for their guests. View attachment 234924
Day 5 - We took the day off from hunting and went to Pumba nature preserve to look for the big 5. Pumba is a very nice lodge where we were greeted with champagne prior to our guided game drive. We saw everything from white lions to hippo, elephant and everything in between. We had a 5 star lunch and were picked up by our PH where we went to Grahamstown to tour the city. We hit the fort overlooking the town, the Africon's church, some shopping and then the Butchery the PH's family owns. I'd highly recommend taking a day off from hunting and do some cultural activities.View attachment 234925
View attachment 234928 View attachment 235198
Day 6 - We took off early for a 2 hour drive to yet another different valley concession filled with irrigated cornfields, Spruce forests, oak trees and the thickest steepest mountains I've seen while in South Africa. The terrain, trees and vegetation reminded me as if we were home in Michigan, certainly not South Africa. We were after Blesbuck for dad and Impala for me. Wikus had mentioned that this place had some bruiser Fallow Stags and to keep our eyes out for them. Shortly after arriving we spotted a huge herd of 70-80 impala down in one of the draws with one very large dominant ram tending them. Short stalk later I was able to make the 170 yd shot.View attachment 234929

After getting him loaded up we crested the next hill to spot the Blesbuck running the opposite direction already aware of our presence. We attempted to circle around the backside but lost them. While checking some other draws Wikus spotted a huge Fallow Stag bedded with a Hind in the shade and Dad said he'd attempt it. We stayed single file and stayed low walking straight at them through a wide open field to a brush pile 220yds away and lucky for us they were napping in the shade unaware of our presence. Dad made a great shot on the huge bedded Stag.

View attachment 234930 We got loaded up had some lunch in the shade overlooking this very beautiful valley farm. After lunch we located a herd of Blesbuck and stalked undetected into the shady patch of trees overlooking the herd of roughly 50 Blesbuck. We surveyed the herd, located the oldest ram and dad made a great shot on an old, heavy, bleached horned Blesbuck.View attachment 234931
Day 7 - Today we would attempt to locate some Zebra. Surprisingly tough critter to locate and then the trick is to get close enough to determine Stallion or mare. We tried a couple locations without any luck finally finding a herd way off in a distant clearing. We made out way over to the area we last saw them bumping into a large sable along the way. We crested a hill and the herd was in front of us at less than a couple hundred yards. We looked over the herd for what seemed like a hour or so until Wikus determined which was the Stallion. Zebra have a triangle on their shoulders and thats where he told me to aim right at the point of the triangle and to be ready for a follow-up shot as they are tough critters. One shot is all I needed missing the tip of the triangle by an inch. Upon walking up to the Zebra I couldn't believe how big they are. He was as big as he was beautiful. Turns out it was a mere 12lbs off the record for weight for Zebra they've taken.View attachment 234932

After lunch and a nap we headed out in search of Warthog for dad. We looked over a few decent hogs but nothing huge so we tried another spot. We located a good boar with a group of pigs and made out way in for the shot. As we neared the location another bigger hog came out and we switched our focus. Dad made a prone shot at 180 yds on a beautiful hog and I was able to get the shot recorded over his shoulder.View attachment 234933

We got back to the lodge for yet another beautiful sunset sitting around the bon fire eating snacks and drinking local beers. After dinner we headed out well after dark with spotlights to look for a Porcupine for a client of theirs. We had done this earlier in the trip but missed our opportunity since it was only steps from the brushline when we saw him. We rounded the 1st bend and there he was in the middle of the field. I quickly got on the suppressed .223 and made the shot! Those things are like porcupine on steroids compared to ours. View attachment 234934
Day 8 - Today was our last hunting day and it would be a treat. With only Springbuck left on dad's list and I'd take a crack at a Baboon if we could find one we headed 2 hours north to yet another different mountain concession. Honestly it was one of the most beautiful and wild places I've ever been. We drove into the mountains where we entered a working sheep ranch that stretched from mountain to mountain. Wikus asked since we only had 1 animal left to hunt if it'd be ok if we took some time to survey the landowners Eland Herd and see what we could find. Of course! We started driving up the mountain and it opened up to a guest house overlooking a private pond with Oak trees lining the road and teared open grass fields full of sheep in the background. We spotted some dandy Fallow Stags along with impala, Kudu, pigs and a bushbuck female. We continued up the nearly impassable roads and crested the top to see it open up to rolling grasslands with Zebra and wildebeest dotting the skyline. We drove the mountaintop towards the next top and spotted a herd of Springbuck and the hunt was on. Dad missed for the 1st time this trip in the extreme wind but a follow-up shot put him down. Beautiful big springbuck! We continued the drive and saw a glimpse of a jackal without getting a shot off the top of the cruiser. We stopped periodically on the way down the opposite mountain to glass for Eland finding literally only (3) animals in the whole place and all what appeared to be single animals in different locations. He said that last time he was there they saw (35) animals just to put the vast amount of land into perspective. We stopped on a bench overlooking the beautiful valley and had lunch before continuing on our survey. We saw piles of critters but no other Eland. That night the Taxidermist came to the lodge to take our information, gather our requests and take the trophies for preparation. Such a great service! View attachment 234935 View attachment 234936 View attachment 234937 View attachment 234938

Overall all I can say is wow! Our time at Game4Africa was simply amazing. The Coetzee family are amazingly generous hosts and only care about their clients and providing a quality experience. Everything from the accommodations, to the food, drinks, quality of animals, stunning properties and the family atmosphere was simply top notch. I wouldn't go anywhere else and we are already planning on coming back in 2020 and bringing a bigger group! They truly made this father/son safari an amazing one. I believe so much in the Coetzee family's operation that I will be doing a couple outdoor shows in the US for them. Feel free to get a hold of me if you'd like some more information I'd be happy to answer any questions, talk on the phone and help anyway I can.

Looks like a nice trip. I too brought my father for a 2 week safari with Wik, Colin and Mr. John. Had a great time. The size of the properties are enormous and the quality of animals, we could not have asked for more. A very rewarding trip. I have been trying to get back but business is busy. Game4Africa is top notch.

Great report, Nice Warthog, they are the coolest. I’m counting Down for my first Safari. I had many nice offers and chose Game4Africa who were recommended by another Aussie.
My experience in communicating with Wikus so far has been the same (Excellent!).
I asked to add some sightseeing and that’s in our package.

Congrats on a Dream Come True. Great job on the report - thanks for the write-up!

Congrats to hunters and Operator..........well done. Especially love the impala..............FWB

Great write up and tale of your trip!

Question: The 7mm Mag seemed to work really well. What ammo were you using?

Great hunt! My friends went here in July 2019. They really enjoyed themselves. They are planning on returning soon.

Question: The 7mm Mag seemed to work really well. What ammo were you using?

@shootist~ Looks like the OP hasn't replied to your question on ammo. During my two hunts with @Game 4 Africa Safaris, using their Sako 7mm mag, we used hand loads with 162 gr Hornady SST bullets. Quite impressive performance, with my daughter and I taking several PG and all were one shot kills. I was so impressed with the SST, I started using it in my 270 and have taken pronghorn, dall sheep and red stag, all with one shot kills.

Thanks, @375RugerFan.

That's amazing performance. I guess sometimes a certain bullet/caliber combination just works. Shot placement might play a part as well, or so I hear. :)

Congrats great trophies and great time you had!!! keep it up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross