AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
Returned about 2 weeks ago from my first South African hunt and I feel that I left a piece of myself there. Before we left the camp for the long drive back to the airport, I knew I would be coming back. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that feeling.

I purchased the hunt at a local SCI dinner from the US counterpart, Droptine Outfitters in MI. Dave was great to work with setting everything up. Being that it was my first hunt to SA, I did have questions for him but have to say this site was the most informative center for information and the help I received here will always be greatly appreciated.

Other than my airline experience I wrote about in another thread, I couldn't have been more impressed with Matwetwe safaris. From the camp to Hendriks family, staff and our other PH Chris. Everyone made sure we felt welcomed and comfortable. Chris was our PH for most of the trip and I must say that we will probably remain life long friends. Right from the get go, Chris wanted us to have a great time and get as much in as possible.

I've hunted all across the country, and a big thanks due to working in the industry Ive been very fortunate to do so. But, I don't know if it was me being in awe at the quantity of different game you see so quickly, or his uncanny ability to find and judge game, I was just blown away. Ive seen some great guides, and Chris is right up there at the top. From spotting to confirming and getting me in the perfect position, Chris was an awesome PH. A few words that I'll always remember are Chris coming to my hut and saying, "You want to see a Kudu". He made it happen so I got a shot at him and I'm happy to say that 52"r is coming home. Still cant believe how amazing that creature is in person.

Chris was newer at Matwetwe, about 8 months on. The operation was built by Hendrik who runs a tight ship. Hendrik is about as nice a person as I've ever meant and possibly the stealthiest hunter. I swear he never made a sound while stalking. Hendrik brought Chris one who had been working in Zimbabwe. (great stories from those hunts btw). The two of them were a seamless pair, amazing to watch them work together while we were out.

I don't mind a rustic old deer camp in northern Montana, but some comforts I always enjoy are a shower and flushing toilet. Matwetwe had the perfect balance at rustic theme but the nicer modern comforts. Comfy beds, nice bathrooms, a GREAT lodge and always amazing meals. My fiancee said multiple times that she wanted to bring the cook home with us or at least bring her to the US in the off season. Always felt safe in camp. We had our 3 dogs that were a blast. Numbi, a Jack Russel, could flip the hunt switch on and off as she needed. My warthog ran about 100 yards before it dropped and the bush was a thick as a morning Scottish fog, I couldn't see 5 yards, but she had the pig found in seconds.

added to the hunting, Hendrik is so flexible with side trips whether its Kruger or taking the girls to the spa for the day. It was a very welcoming environment for partners or families. there is a youtube video done by Hendrik and in it he says that he gets many return clients, and I can see why now. I enjoyed every aspect of the hunt, the stay, and the people. From the camp staff, Drivers, Tarckers, Skinners, Laundress, Cook, everyone, they all did such a great job at each aspect of their profession that I witnessed.

This review certainly doesn't give enough credit to the team at Matwetwe. I am happy to say that I've just about got a second hunt with Hendrik and Chris locked down for 2018.

I simply can't wait to go back.

5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Glad the hunt went well. I look forward to more of your hunt report.

Congrats on your hunt. Thanks fir posting your pictures. Add some more when you get the chance.

Congrats on your trophies. Thanks for sharing!

Well done.

Africa is different, no doubt.

Congrats on your hunt, and thanks for sharing !

I'm glad you enjoyed your hunt!

Thanks for sharing some more pics!

Nice Impala! And can't forget the pig! Only a face a mother would love.

Thanks for the review Trevor. Great to have you guys in camp and waiting for next year! Just let us know what is on the hit list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you