South Africa Export Permits

I don't think we have any CITES I trophies unless a civet, warthog or a monkey count?
Monkey and Civet will be on one CITES permit.

Edit: Both are Appendix II species.

And yeah, December is a rough month but don't be surprised if they aren't shipped the week before or the week after Christmas. That would make for some interesting logistics.

Last edited:
Based solely on my own personal experience - nothing happens in RSA in December.

Technically November-January, things pick back up in February.

Good morning all!

I had a quick question or two and was hoping for some insight. Our taxidermy has been completed since about September (we have seen the mounts and the packed crate so we know it's all ready) but there seems to be an issue with getting the South African export permits. We had really hoped to have these home for Christmas but it doesn't look like that's in the cards anymore. Does anyone know how long it normally takes to get all the export permits lined up and such? I only ask because I thought once the taxidermy itself was done the shipping would be relatively simple but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is anyone else waiting on their taxidermy to ship and in a similar situation? As always thanks in advance for any replies!
I am in the exact same boat. Work was done in late August, crated up and delivered for export early in September. We are working with Coppersmiths as well. They say there was a kind of walk out strike in one facility, so those crates have been moved to another export facility that now has a back log due to the strike, and so on and so on. This is my first crate and I am losing my mind. I’m headed back over in May. Hope to have them by then, it’s since August on 17 since I had my hands on my Kudu. Can’t wait to get him in the wall.

My last hunt ended Oct 3rd, I got my shipment (dip and pack) April 30th.

Previous one, ended Sept 27, shipment arrived February 22nd.

Same outfitter, same taxidermist, both had CITES animals.

Why the difference :E Confused:

Civet and Monkey could be a contributing factor. Was your hunt in Limpopo Province? I ask because Limpopo Nature Conservation, who will be the issuer of the Permanent Export Permits, has been really problematic of late on CITES animals.
Last July I hunted Serval and a number of other animals in Limpopo Province. I was successful on the Serval. Swift Dip had their part of the process complete right on the 90 day mark as promised (Swift Dip is excellent by the way) and transferred trophies to Safari Cargo Systems about Oct 15.
And there thay sat until late April. No fault of SCS. I had the Outfitter, SCS, Swift Dip, International Freight and my taxidermist all involved. The problem was with Nature Conservation. Could not get them to get off their thumb and issue a Permanent Export Permit.
As has been mentioned, everything shuts down during the month of December in SA.
Once everyone came back to work, about January 7th, the excuse was there is a huge backlog. LNC finally issued the permit in April and crate was in the U.S. by first of May.
Sadly, due to the greasy nature of cats, canines, monkey’s, and sitting through the hot and humid SA summer some of the hides were pretty severely grease burned. Hoping for the best. We shall see...
Probably not what you want to hear, but that’s my experience.

@IdaRam Yep, where you hunt in RSA determines how fast you will get your trophies to the U.S.
I hunted with a friend in April of this year, 2018, and his non CITES trophies, all taxidermy done in RSA, are in the crate ready to go. It's going to be interesting to see when they actually arrive in Baltimore.

Civet and Monkey could be a contributing factor. Was your hunt in Limpopo Province? I ask because Limpopo Nature Conservation, who will be the issuer of the Permanent Export Permits, has been really problematic of late on CITES animals.
Last July I hunted Serval and a number of other animals in Limpopo Province. I was successful on the Serval. Swift Dip had their part of the process complete right on the 90 day mark as promised (Swift Dip is excellent by the way) and transferred trophies to Safari Cargo Systems about Oct 15.
And there thay sat until late April. No fault of SCS. I had the Outfitter, SCS, Swift Dip, International Freight and my taxidermist all involved. The problem was with Nature Conservation. Could not get them to get off their thumb and issue a Permanent Export Permit.
As has been mentioned, everything shuts down during the month of December in SA.
Once everyone came back to work, about January 7th, the excuse was there is a huge backlog. LNC finally issued the permit in April and crate was in the U.S. by first of May.
Sadly, due to the greasy nature of cats, canines, monkey’s, and sitting through the hot and humid SA summer some of the hides were pretty severely grease burned. Hoping for the best. We shall see...
Probably not what you want to hear, but that’s my experience.

Good morning,

Yes we did the hunt in Limpopo. Blast that's bad news on your end, I hope ours are not similarly handled but thank you for the information.

SCS, has done a great job for me. You are not being charged any storage fees for the wait (on the RSA side) by either SCS or the taxidermist.

You do not need US Import permits first unless you have CITES I trophies.
Otherwise, in reality you are waiting for the RSA National and Provincial permits or other parts of the transport scheduling.

Also I just wanted to let you know that I did contact SCS after your comment and you are right, they reassured me that there will be no storage fee. Class act, I was very happy to hear that, especially as I hadn't even considered it!

The only time you are going to experience storage fees are with the warehouse on this end.
Depends on the airline, but you usually get a couple of days before they start dinging you.
Typically, in the airlines warehouse after you have been notified that your trophies have arrived and they are awaiting an inspection or you delay picking them up yourself.

Swissport at BWI allowed three business days of storage before they starting charging a daily rate.

@IdaRam Yep, where you hunt in RSA determines how fast you will get your trophies to the U.S.
I hunted with a friend in April of this year, 2018, and his non CITES trophies, all taxidermy done in RSA, are in the crate ready to go. It's going to be interesting to see when they actually arrive in Baltimore.

who did his taxidermy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg