cal pappas

Contributor
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Fellas:
Came home to a forest fire. A few thousand acres up in flames and 100 homes destroyed. My house is fine as are my doubles, but the woods is a mess of ash. I received an email when driving to the Harare airport.

I spent a week in South Africa at Basie Kuhn's Haakdoorn Ranch taking buffalo, non trophy impala for the table, bush buck, male and female warthogs, and a red hartebeest that at 25 3/4" is well up in Roland Ward's. Rifle used was a Harrison and Hussey box lock ejector made in 1920 and purchased and owned by the famous cricket player, Douglas Jardine from 1934 (the year he was married) to 1957 (when his wife sold it back to the company four months before he died of cancer). He used the rifle to hunt Rhodesia. Google him and the story of his bodyline tactic.

The buffalo was shot with a quick left and right, his head wen down and he moved a few yards and stopped. He was dead on his feet but two more ended it quickly. All other animals were taken with one shot from 33 yards (female warthog), 40 yards (male warthog) 45 yards (bushbuck), 101 yards (impala), and 219 yards (hartebeest--over a very steady seated rest). Buffalo was open sights and I used a Swarovski 1.25-4x 30mm scope for the plains game.

Honestly, if any of you gents are looking for a buffalo plains game combo email me for details on the hunt. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net>

After SA it was off to Botswana to hunt for plains game for eight days.
Enjoy!

DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0314.jpg
DSC_0162.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg

Nice trophies! It would be unnerving to enjoy a hunt knowing your property was that close to danger. Glad your things are unharmed, sorry for your neighbors

+1. How far away from your house was the fire? I can only imagine that you were on "pins and needles" for a while waiting for the news that your house and precious doubles were safe.

Forest burned right up to the lawn. The fire crews dumped retardant on the home and cut a fire break. All happened Sunday and Monday and I landed in Anchorage Monday night.

What a great trip to Africa! SA, Botswana, and Zim. I'm glad that your home survived the fire!

Big congrats in the trip Cal but sorry to hear about the fire.

Fine buff in the foto, and beautiful rifle.....what caliber? thanks for posting..................FWB

Glad your home wasn’t damaged Cal. Hope you got some video of your hunt to post on YouTube

Great buffalo!

Those fire crews and water bombers are amazing too!

I had a close call on a fire in 2011 where the fire fighters also saved the house. I salute them all! Very happy that your home was saved!!!!!

Nice safari with a classic double shoot a great round. Thank you for sharing.

Good Evening
Wife and I were up at the cabin in Trapper Creek clearing some beetle kill and sighting in the .375 for moose season.
We were trapped by the fire on the North Side at Cubby’s ( Talkeetna) on Monday morning. Decided to drive North through Fairbanks and back down the Richardson to home. Palmer.
Happy you’re home and everything is safe and sound.
Fellas:
Came home to a forest fire. A few thousand acres up in flames and 100 homes destroyed. My house is fine as are my doubles, but the woods is a mess of ash. I received an email when driving to the Harare airport.

I spent a week in South Africa at Basie Kuhn's Haakdoorn Ranch taking buffalo, non trophy impala for the table, bush buck, male and female warthogs, and a red hartebeest that at 25 3/4" is well up in Roland Ward's. Rifle used was a Harrison and Hussey box lock ejector made in 1920 and purchased and owned by the famous cricket player, Douglas Jardine from 1934 (the year he was married) to 1957 (when his wife sold it back to the company four months before he died of cancer). He used the rifle to hunt Rhodesia. Google him and the story of his bodyline tactic.

The buffalo was shot with a quick left and right, his head wen down and he moved a few yards and stopped. He was dead on his feet but two more ended it quickly. All other animals were taken with one shot from 33 yards (female warthog), 40 yards (male warthog) 45 yards (bushbuck), 101 yards (impala), and 219 yards (hartebeest--over a very steady seated rest). Buffalo was open sights and I used a Swarovski 1.25-4x 30mm scope for the plains game.

Honestly, if any of you gents are looking for a buffalo plains game combo email me for details on the hunt. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net>

After SA it was off to Botswana to hunt for plains game for eight days.
Enjoy!

View attachment 301768 View attachment 301767 View attachment 301766 View attachment 301765 View attachment 301763 View attachment 301764
v

Bill: Caliber .450-400 3". A great rifle from 1920. Some details are on my other post.
Cal

A great hunt with double rifle. Looks like fun!
Glad your property is o.k.

Thanks, all, for your kind words and thoughts.
Cal

Congratulations on both your home and safari!

Wow you had a great hunt, congrats!

Glad to hear your home is alright as well!

Some fine trophies taken with a fine classic! Thanks for sharing!
Forest fires are scary! I worked for a couple of years right out of college as an engineering tech for the BLM. Fought a couple of fires. Very scary.
We moved out of the Colorado front range mountains after 16 years of near fires.
Glad you survived!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg